Need a book for 7th history summer reading

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by teach4Knsc, Aug 20, 2006.

1. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

I am usually in the preschool boards, but this time I am posting for my husband, who teaches 7th history at a college prep school-

He is looking for a new good summer reading book, at or above grade level in the subject area of American History from 1865 to the present. He prefers it to be more modern history, and it can be fiction or non.

He had the children reading "Thirteen Days" about the Cuban Missile Crisis, but this year our son is going to be in 7th and he read it and said "DAD! I am lost!!" So we realize that he needs to find something a bit more on their level AND something that they have some prior knowledge on.

The English teacher assigned "Under the Blood Red Sun" and "The Other Side of Truth"- which are great!

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated- we need to start thinking!

3. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 20, 2006

Book Ideas

Here are some ideas I got from looking through my classroom library and what aspect of US history they cover:

The Gadget by Paul Zindel (the creation of the Atom Bomb)
    Willie Bea and the Time the Martians Landed by Virginia Hamilton (the "War of the Worlds" radio scare)
    Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor (A black family's experiences in the Great Depression)
    Silver Dollar Girl by Katherine Ayres (about a girl travelling to join her father in Nevada where he is mining for silver.)

The Gadget is the most modern, in terms of topic, and is a great story. Hope this helps.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2006

Ann Rinaldi is a fabulous author for American History. She has one called An Aquaintance with Darkness that examines the aftermath of the Lincoln assassination. Also, could he use any of Walter Dean Myers's novels (Fallen Angels comes to mind, but it does have a lot of swearing and drugs in it...it is about Vietnam after all). Summer of My German Soldier?

5. teach4Knsc

teach4Knsc Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

These all sound great! We will be doing some reading over the next few months to figure it out- thanks-

6. mrsk

mrsk Rookie

Aug 20, 2006

"Farewell to Manzanar" is also good for that age group. It's an autobiography about a little girl in a Japanese Internmet camp during WWII

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2006