Need a bit o' help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Miss V, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Miss V

Miss V Rookie

Aug 24, 2004

Hi everyone!
    I am a first year teacher and I just got a job teaching English at an alternative high school near Atlantic City. My problem is that I went to school for Elementary Ed and English, but I never took a day of Secondary Ed. classes in my life. I was wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to deal with students in such a situation. I know it is going to be a challenge, which I am totally up for, but I could use some advice on how to keep order in my room when I am really not a big screamer. Thanks so much!

3. smileyd

smileyd Comrade

Aug 25, 2004

I'm also in Elementary education, but have you looked into books? I know this is an internet age, but I love reading concrete ideas. A book I particularly enjoyed reading that might help you is How to Talk So Kids Can Learn-At Home and in School: What Every Parent and Teacher Needs to Know
    by Adele & Mazlish, E. Faber

4. Miss V

Miss V Rookie

Aug 26, 2004

Thank you

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will definitely look into that book:D

5. TLC

TLC Guest

Aug 26, 2004

You might want to look up the book "The First Day of School" by Harry Wong. Excellent advice for how to maintain classroom management and be an effective teacher. You can also find information on the web about Harry Wong if you use a search engine.

6. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 26, 2004

The biggest thing with the older kids is to command respect from them. You want them to like you, of course, but if they respect you, they will grow to like you. Don't be too tempted to be buddies with them-- they have friends, and so do you. That doesn't mean, though, that you can't joke around. Humor goes a long way. Teach them as well as you can, make it obvious you care. When they know you care, they will respond well.

When I started teaching last year, I had a very boisterous class, and they pegged me as being an easy teacher not only because I actually AM young, I look about 16. I had to be a lot stricter than I would have liked, but they did respect me, and within a month, things got much easier. Because I teach both 7th and 8th grades, I still have this class, and they joke around about how they thought I was so mean in the beginning, but now they really like being in my class.

Good luck--- this is one of the best, most enjoyable jobs you could have. Have fun with it!

7. Miss V

Miss V Rookie

Aug 26, 2004

Thanks alot! I, too, look about 16. Plus, I am not a screamer and I have been petrified that I will be walked all over, especially by these types of kids. I will definitely keep your info in mind! I appreciate it:D