Need 30,000 teachers???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by comp, Oct 6, 2010.

1. comp

comp Rookie

Oct 6, 2010

Ok, today i went to an information session regarding alternate teacher certification program. The program coordinator mentioned, "In texas, we need 30,000 teachers in next 5 years."

Do you think it is true? People are complaining about lack of teaching positions where do 30,000 jobs come from?
    so there is still teacher shortage?? Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

There's no teacher shortage.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2010

Keep in mind: the people giving you that estimate are making a living educating potential teachers.

How many new students will they get if they say " The job market is totally saturated. Lots of people who might have retired have seen their savings disappear in the financial freefall. Tens of thousands of teachers were laid off last year and are currently looking for work."

If you want to teach, then by all means do so; there's not another career in the world for me. But know, going in, that getting a job is going to be difficult.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2010

I agree with Alice 110%!

(she probably meant to say Texas needs 30,000 teachers and they already staff 29,998! LOL)

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2010

As Alice mentioned, those numbers probably assume a "normal" rate of retirements. There's nothing normal about this economy; I think any teacher who is physically able is going to stay on the job as long as possible.

7. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Oct 7, 2010

That is 6,000 teachers per year for the next five years. That would probably cover retirements, people leaving the profession, etc. It would also depend where you are willing to teach in Texas. Obviously, some areas are more desirable than others. It would also depend if you are bilingual in Spanish. Border citiies need more bilingual teachers other districts.

Good luck!

8. jakissko

jakissko Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

I agree with Aliceacc - those projected numbers are coming a source that might be a little biased towards expressing an imminent shortage of teachers. I'm a Texas educator, and 3 years ago I was told that over 50% of all then-current principals would retire within the next 4 years (which would be the end of this school year)... and I don't think that number will be realized. Like Mrs. K said, that may be attributable to the state of the economy, but there's also a reason for them to crunch those big numbers!

Johnny Kissko
    K-12 Mobile Learning

9. Meagan's mom

Meagan's mom Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

Sounds to me like a marketing ploy that is misleading at best and deceptive at worst.

10. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Oct 7, 2010

I agree with the other posters about marketing but as for whether or not there is a teacher shortage, that depends to a great degree on where you are and what you want to teach.

In my community, we've pretty much never had a shortage of gen ed elementary teachers or social studies teachers, but we are short special education teachers, and middle and high school math teachers. And we've been short those positions for quite awhile. The best way to tell for your area is to look on the websites of the districts you would want to work in. The number of jobs posted will help you tell what's really going.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 7, 2010

Those sound like old estimates to me. I was in the staffing/HR field for ten years before entering teaching. We were always hearing about how staffing was going to explode because ALL of the baby boomers were going to retire. Well, since so many people lost their shirts, not to mention their retirement savings over the last few years with low stock market returns, many, many people thinking about retiring are forced to put it off.

I agree with other posters that those people are trying to sell their program, so they need to make it look like jobs are just waiting for you as you walk out the door of the auditorium after your graduation ceremony. Don't base your decision on an inflated estimate, or any estimate. Decide if you really want to teach and then worry about the number of jobs out there.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 7, 2010

Well, at the rate things are going with NCLB and the major responsibilities placed on us these days, maybe enough will quit to warrant 30,000 fresh blood :lol:

13. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 8, 2010

This is statistics being used maliciously. If you've taken any beginning level stat class, you would be asking, "is this really the answer to the question I have?"

Like those dentist/doctor scams on products, this is very similar.

The real question you need to ask and need the answer for is:

How many teachers in (area of study, location, and of these abilities), will Texas need over the next 5 years?

I can almost guarantee you the majority of those positions require proficiency in Spanish, math/science/SPED focus, urban/extreme rural environment (goodbye burbs).

Of course they're going to combine all the statistics, because the teaching jobs most people want are the teaching jobs that are over saturated. They couldn't get those people to pay if they knew they wouldn't find work.

14. Chalk

Chalk Companion

Oct 8, 2010

SO how do you feel about a teaching career that is required to end at twenty years unless you have moved up to administration level and then you have to retire at thirty years.

20 and out, pension, medical etc etc. or administrative tract and then a better retirement at 30 years. It would certainly keep the balance needed for new teachers and allow people to enjoy a second career or go do something they want without having to the worries and pressure of school teacher life.

15. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2010

I know that CA was saying this a few years ago; just before the big fall in the stock market and the housing boom. At the time, we had class size reduction in place. That is not in place in most public school districts now, and so many not retiring. What I am saying is that it might be old stats. Tx is not suffering though the way we are in CA.

16. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Oct 9, 2010

There were jobs in Texas this school year, even for social studies teachers. Texas most likely needs new teachers because of the population growth. Teachers also leave the profession to raise families with the idea to return later. We seem to lose about 6 to 7 teachers yearly for various reasons and we are just one campus.

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2010

So you think that this statistic is correct?