Necassary Resources for HS Math Teacher

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by schenk11, Jun 3, 2010.

1. schenk11

schenk11 Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

I am currently a 5th grade teacher and will be moving to high school math next year and want input on what resources I need or should have. My new school gives me an allowance to "purchase what I need", looking for your ideas.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 3, 2010

Wish I could help you with this but I'm an English teacher and am not positive what you might need. However, I wanted to welcome a fellow Buckeye to the forum!

:welcome::atoz_love:

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 3, 2010

It really depends on your teaching style and techniques. I run a slate board so I rarely use dry erase markers myself.

A classroom set of white boards and markers is quite useful though.

A flip chart and some replacement paper is quite useful as well.

Does your school provide a classroom set of graphing calculators? Replacement batteries are a must.

From there, it's very individual. I run math labs so I need a lot of measuring equipment, clip boards, etc. I try to add to me collection yearly.

I also run clickers very heavily and have managed to get my own set assigned to me.

This said, I only know of one other teacher who runs labs and clickers the way I do in the entire county.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

I use very little!!!

Do you have any idea which math course(s) you'll be teaching?

One thing you might consider is a subscription to www.edlhelper.com. (I'm biased here, but take a look at the freebies and see whether you like what you see!)

Color helps things a lot (particularly if you're teaching overlapping triangles in geometry) -- so some colored chalk/ colored markers might be a good idea.

And you'll NEED a ruler/metric stick to use as a straight edge, unless all your work will be done on projector.

If the kids don't supply their own graph paper, you'll want to get a supply in.

As far as resources for you. I LOVE the Amsco textbooks-- theyre fairly cheap and they're a great supply for problems, particularly verbal problems.

That's pretty much it. Give me a blackboard and a supply of chalk, and I can teach until my voice or the chalk run out.

6. schenk11

schenk11 Rookie

Jun 3, 2010

Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2

Thanks for the ideas so far, keep em coming

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2010

This helps a million ways in geometry:
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...a=X&ei=SkgITIT0I8GclgfFiMWoDg&ved=0CBoQ9QEwAg

Also, take a look at the Regents Review Books by Topical Review:
    http://www.topicalrbc.com/servlet/Detail?no=52 NY State gives exams called Regents in many high school subjects. Topical Review compiles old exams (also available for download from the NYS Library, but the format of the Topical Review books make them a bargain!!!) They're a great source of test/review questions!

8. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Jun 4, 2010

For geometry , I'd definitely recommend a few items (many of which are also useful in Algebra)...

Clip boards
    Compasses
    Drafting Triangles
    Shape Templates
    12inch Rulers
    Protractors
    8ft measuring tapes (the plastic kind like a seemstress uses instead of the metal kind you get at Home Depot. The metal ones can accidentally slice a finger when they retract.)
    Yard Sticks

My handiest pieces of equipment that aren't on this list, but are a bit more expensive are:
    Inclinometers (about $15 each)
    300ft Fiber Glass Tape Measures (about $75 each)

How much is your allowance? Also, don't be afraid to ask for a little more. You'd be surpised what you might get if you ask, but you're never surprised by what you don't get if you don't ask.

9. Loretin

Loretin Rookie

Jun 5, 2010

I would ask for a document camera and a projector. If the clickers are an option go for them. They are great for quick assessments and even for tests.

10. schenk11

schenk11 Rookie

Jun 22, 2010

ttt

11. ebrillblaiddes

ebrillblaiddes Companion

Jun 22, 2010

If you won't otherwise have access to one and your budget will stretch to it, you can't go wrong with a projector to hook up to a laptop, especially for geometry so that you can use dynamic geometry software (Geometer's Sketchpad if you have it already or the school does; of the free alternatives, I'm a fan of GeoGebra) as it's intended instead of just to make diagrams.

12. Math teach

Math teach New Member

Jun 23, 2010

I would suggest buying a math software such as Mathtype. I have found that many of the resources which usually come with textbooks are very limited and with Mathtype you can make your own Algebra - Calculus worksheets and tests. Another gem I found is actually a free graphing software that you can easily embed fantastic graphs of functions and even relations into word documents, There are many free ones out there. I ave been teaching high school math for 9 years and these two things have been fantastic.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2010

Excellent suggestion Math teach (Oh, and welcome!!!!)

I LOVE Mathtype!!!! It makes it incredibly easy to type tests and quizzes. Complex fractions, fractional exponenets, polynomials under a radical, quadratic formula-- all incredibly easy!!

14. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 24, 2010

A document camera would be flippin sweet! My SMartBoard presentations would take on a whole new life!