Neat things to create stuff in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Miss W, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 1, 2005

What are neat things you use in the classroom to create stuff? You know, like certain markers, crayons, etc...

My school secretaries set out a three drawer container with lots of supplies for us to use in the lounge. One thing they put in there was the Foohy Double-Ended Markers. One end is a Gell side and the other is a Metallic side. They actually look like paint on the paper. They're really neat! I love them. I'm going to go to Wal-Mart tonight to see how much they are and maybe buy some for my use in the classroom.

Other things I love to use in the classroom, either to create stuff or grade, is the Crayola Twistables.

3. Ali

Ali Companion

Dec 3, 2005

I love Mr. Sketch markers to make things for my room, the colors are really vibrant! Another great find were wet erase markers (I don't know the brand name off hand). These markers are perfect for writing on chalkboards when you don't want it erased. For instance, you can draw lines or charts and erase over them. It washes off completely with water. I have used these so many times! They are a bit pricey, about $15 for 5 colors, but they last a long time!

4. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 3, 2005

Those wet erase markers sound cool. I love the Do-A-Dot markers. The kids love using them. I use them every once in a while when I teach art. They are also $15 for 5. Perhaps bingo markers would be cheaper.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2005

Twist up crayons are cool. I just discovered them. They are not as soft as regular crayons, almost more like a colored pencil- nice blending.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 3, 2005

Not really for creating, but very useful - there are self-adhesive strips made by post-it. I put mine on a piece of poster board and now can stick on and remove almost anything easily.

I also like the plastic clips with double-sided tape on the back. I put them on my plastic vertical blinds to hold posters.

For crafts and stuff, I like those fancy scissors which cut in decorative lines as well as the mini hole punch things that punch shapes like hearts and butterflies. I keep lots of craft materials that I buy when I find them on sale - ribbon, foamies, frames, felt, paint, etc.

Watercolor pencils are great too.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 5, 2005

I just found some Crayola Twistables Colored Pencils. They're thinner than the crayons.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 5, 2005

Have any of you used the Elmer's Glue that you can use like paint, I used a coupon at Micheals craft store and I think it was $10, but you got 20 of them, some are sparkly and some are matalic and some are fruit smelling, they have two ends one long and thin and one like a pen. Its fun to use to write names with. (and othr things) They come in a clear vinal bag that zips on two sides and has a handle.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2005

MissW- I'm going to try the twistable colored pencils. :)

10. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 6, 2005

I like using a lot of the foam art supplies. I am using one of the ornament kits for my students to make presents for their parents. I also like the ink pads that are scented.

11. jenniatek

jenniatek Companion

Dec 7, 2005

I just bought a kit for making foam ornaments...they're little pom-pom mice on a stocking...in the kit there's enough supplies to make 30 ornaments and it was under $6.00 for the kit. At Wal-Mart.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2005

That's not a bad price for 30 ornaments.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 7, 2005

Before you begin doing your projects you may need to sort your items to make sure you really get enough, I got a bucket of foam orniments last year it had Santa, mittens and wreaths that you can put a picture in, and there was a few things missing I wrote them an E-mail and the company sent me what I needed!

I do love the foam shapes and all the new kits you can get.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 7, 2005

I save leftover cards from prior years. We are going to make a window scene that looks really simple. Use popsicle sticks to form a window with two sticks crossed in the middle for panes of glass. Glue a scene from an old card on the back. Glue a bit of lace across the top from the front so it looks like you are looking out of the window.

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2005

I'm doing something simular with my saved Christmas cards. I'm cutting winter shapes out with the Ellison machine and using them for decorations.

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

I saw those there! I almost got them, but ran out of money:(. I buy a lot of those foam kits. You can do so many activities with just one bucket of foam things (patterns, sorting, art).

My mom bought my son some twistables for Christmas, so now I'm really anxious to see them and how they work. She also got him the wondercolors painting kit. I guess the colors are only suppose to show up on the colorwonders paper, so if he paints on something else you're not suppose to see it. I'm liking it so far so we'll see when he tries it. If it's true, that's perfect for a 3 year old!

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2005

The paper is expensive though. You know how kids are. They like to draw one line and go to the next page.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2005

Oh yes! I took a look at the 20 pieces of scribbled-on paper that my little "students" used today laying on the counter by their go home piles a minute ago. UGH! This will at least be something only my son will use (his toys are not for school time, unless he decides he wants to bring something downstairs and share it, which isn't often).