Neat individual "whiteboards" at WalMart

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

I had showerboard cut last year to use as whiteboards but I had them cut pretty large so sometimes they're a pain to use in small groups. I found 4-packs of plastic plates at Walmart for $2 that make GREAT "whiteboards." :cool: They come in green, blue, orange, and purple. I bought 12 of the green to use in my small reading groups. I tried it out today with markers, it works great!

3. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

Thanks! I am using bright vivid colors in my decor this would be an extra unexpected fun item! I use my whiteboards everyday.

4. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Where did you find these boards? What section of the store? Thank you!

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

They're not boards, they are plastic square-ish shaped plates. I found them on an endcap, but I think it was in the kitchen section.

6. SunshineTeacher

SunshineTeacher New Member

Aug 11, 2009

Target also has mini-whiteboards in their dollar section. It's a dollar for one so it's more expensive but they have lines (great for primary grades) on one side and blank on the other. I bought some but haven't tried them yet. I've heard they work well though.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

I haven't found them in my Target (and I'm there far too often). Hadn't thought about the plates, GREAT idea! :)

8. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

Great find!

Pisces, can you tell me what brand they are. I think this would be great to use to play speed games like writing numbers, letters, sight words, etc. I could have different teams all have different colors.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 11, 2009

Good to know. :) I may check it out.

10. backtoK

backtoK Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

At Target they were in the $1.00 section at the front of the store, not the school supply section. At another Target by me, they aren't carry them=( I bought 25.

11. Iteachyourkids

Iteachyourkids Companion

Aug 12, 2009

What a great idea!!! I have a set of whiteboards in my classroom, but I LOVE the idea of having the different ones for guided reading.

Many times I have the students write on index cards or sticky notes....but this would be a great way to conserve a little.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2009

Way to think outside the box! I'll have to try that.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 12, 2009

Soooo creative! I LOVE it!!

14. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 12, 2009

wow! That is such an awesome idea! I love that and someone else said about doing different colors for teams too- that is great! wow. It makes me want to go out shopping now for them! lol. That is perfect because they stack so neatly and they are nice looking. Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

15. KinderCan

KinderCan Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Thanks@

Kiss your brain!!! Thanks for the tip!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

I knew there was something else I was going to look for at Wal-Mart when I stopped this afternoon! Shoot--I read this earlier today and couldn't remember what great idea I had heard. I just might have to make another trip...

17. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

I bought them yesterday....showed everyone in my school and they love them. The preschoolers will be able to use them in so many other ways also since they have a little lip on them.

18. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 25, 2009

How ridiculously creative of you!! I went to WalMart this morning and go enough for everyone in my class, so I can have my little ones practice letters all together on the carpet. I can't wait to use them in school.

I would NEVER have thought of using plates as whiteboards, but I tested them out a little while ago and they work beautifully! You are a genius!

19. sunnydaze

sunnydaze Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

I am interested in this plate idea, but am not really sure what to look for. Can anyone help?

20. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 26, 2009

At my wal mart these plastic plates are in the back to school section- all of the college dorm stuff is kind of an olive green, orange, light(ish) purple, and dark royal blue. So they have plates, bowls, and tumblers in those colors- they are marked as 4 plates or whatever I think for $2. Hold on... I took pics of mine. I am going to try to post them...

[​IMG]

I returned my royal blue plates because they were too hard for me to see- even close up. I got the bowls to hold the markers for each color because each color I was thinking of using a special color marker for- ie the color that shows up best on the board.

Here's another pic so you can see it comes four in a pack....
    [​IMG]