Near a Breakdown

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by 1angel, May 14, 2008.

1. 1angel

1angel Rookie

May 14, 2008

I am sure I mostly need to vent. This year has been really tough. I have a very challenging group and have gotten very little support. I have been yelled at by parents in the middle of class more times then I can remember. I am a good teacher so I managed to get most everything under control, which was not easy considering no parent support and the administration did not come through for me either.

So now I have two kids that I am so fed up with their situations that I just don't even know how to deal with them anymore.

One has been a huge bully all year. In class he's the best. I really had no idea how big of a bully this kid was, until I overheard him one day threaten to cut someone's head off (it's second grade by the way). Since then it has unraveled to how scared kids all across second grade are of this kid. He threatened to kill a child and the principal said he would be suspended. The next day he walked into the classroom as though nothing happened. I called and called the office. A few hours later finally got someone to tell me that he was back in my room as the parents had already met with the principal. HUH???????????
    So now my whole class knows he made this threat and are seeing him get off punishment free basically. The rest of the class is reacting so badly to this.

Another child has threatened me personally. He's threatened to burn me, to hire someone come to my house and kill me, he finally threatened to kill me himself. He got suspended for one day! One day and noone even came to speak with me about the situation. He thinks it's hilarious. And since he came back I've written him up everyday for his behavior and he doesn't even get removed at all. So obviously there's other issues here, but I just am at a loss of how to deal with a child who is threatening me, screaming at me. I don't respond he just starts going on about how fat I am or what not. I respond he tried to draw me into an argument.
    I literally cannot find a way (so far) to get him to do anything.

Also his family does not return my calls.

3. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2008

I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time. Have you met with your principal and giving him/her a written list of your concerns and the verbal threats you have recieved? If you haven't, I think you really need a meeting with your principal. If you are a member of the union, I would take my building rep to the meeting. If you have met with the principal and are still recieving threats from students, you need to involve your union.

Again, I am so sorry your admin. has not supported you on these issues. How many more days of school?

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

I agree with INteacher. You need to get admin involved and if they won't, you need your union to support you. I've had rough classes, but yours sounds really stressful. I'm so sorry you don't feel supported...I've always had my ap to lean on. How many days do you have left? At least you will be done soon... :hugs:

5. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 14, 2008

Yes, meet with your admin & hopefully your union. In that meeting I would drop phrases like "terroristic threatening," which is what that is. I would diplomatically let them know that the child is breaking the law and that you expect some action taken.

6. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 15, 2008

Yikes,in second grade. How awful, I do not have any suggestions just sending you hugs! Good luck. Hopefully school ends soon in your district and you can find a new better school. This is awful.