NCLB tests...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

I think there was a thread on this before but I can't seem to find it... Does everyone take the CRT's to comply with NCLB or does the state decide what test to give the kids? If it's the state's choice, are all the standards/rules the same for each state's test? For example: Is every state allowed to read the questions on the test to the students if they can not do so themselves?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

I think states decide what test to give the students. Texas students take the TAKS (Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills) test. I've never heard of the CRT. I know that teachers aren't allowed to read the test to them. We have specific responses that we have to give the students. If they have accommedations then they are put into a small group setting with other students that have the same accommedations.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Mar 11, 2008

TCAPS in TN. Tests can be read to sp ed students. These students are pulled and tested in small groups.

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 11, 2008

crct in georgia, no read aloud except special ed.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

High stakes tests in Louisiana are CRT but in other grades we take a combo. I'm 5th grade and we take the iLEAP, partial CRT and partial NRT.

7. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

It's the MAP in Missouri. It can only be read aloud to SpEd students if it's included in their IEP.

From what I understand, states set their own standards and write their own tests. I used to have an article that rated each state's test based on the level of difficulty. It was interesting to see the ranges. Some states give "easy" tests so their scores are higher. Missouri has one of the "hardest" tests. I think if we are going to be giving these tests to comply with NCLB, then students should all be given the same tests, but that's just my :2cents:.

8. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

9. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 11, 2008

I agree! If we're trying to comply with a federally mandated law then we need to be giving the kids a federally mandated test! My fear with that though is that they'll have a lawyer write the test (a lawyer wrote NCLB) and will have no input from teachers on what their students should know at what grade levels!!!

I'm in charge of testing our Spec. ed kids right now and we're allowed to read the tests to them BUT I'm struggling with it! I have four kids in the same room who are all on different levels! There is one that can BARELY read and two that are borderline reg ed and one in between. I don't want to embarrass the kid that can barely read by reading every question on the test to him but I let him do it on his own today and that was NOT a good idea... This high stakes stuff is NUTS!!!

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 11, 2008

FCAT in florida, and we read only to sped kids if it's in their IEP. Test started today...I HATE it. I think we should dump the whole thing and start over.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2008

Amers, I completely agree. There needs to be ONE standard test throughout the nation. Of course, the test needs to have teachers from all over give their input into what should be put into it.

It seems like Texas didn't do so well in the difficulty department.

12. going2rdabk

going2rdabk New Member

Mar 20, 2008

State Testing

In Colorado we are in the middle of CSAPs. We can read to kids who have that accommodation in their IEP, and to English Language Learners who have it documented that they have received this help in their classes thru the year. So that's what I'm doing now. It's been a frustrating week - yes, the kids I'm testing need the accomodation, but are not necessarily using it. As I glance over their tests I can see where they misunderstood a question, and gave an answer that was completely off topic...

Another concern I have is the amount of time this is taking away from their ELA classes. We lose 2-3 weeks in January when we give the state mandated English Language Acquisition tests. Now in March we have cancelled ELA in order to help administer the CSAPs. All kids need as much time on task as possible during the year, yet we are taking away about a month of class time to administer tests!

13. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 22, 2008

If there is a national test, there will have to be so many other educational aspects that are nationally regulated. I think it will be a hard fight since education is supposed to be handled by the state. Many states might see it as taking power away.