NCLB Preschool Teacher Survey

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Pre-K, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2007

Hello Everyone,

I would like your feedback on NCLB. I have been studying this topic for quite some time, and would like to know how you feel about this matter.

I am starting a new job based on funding for the Illinois State Pre-K for All program. I know our district has not made AYP, and the pressure is on everyone to get the reading scores up. That being said, I understand that my principal wants me to make sure I have my preschoolers reading!

How do you feel about this?? I have to admit, I am more into Piaget, and learning thru play. But, I got to eat too! So if she wants me teaching 3 years old to read..hey what can I say? :rolleyes:

So here it goes. Feel free to add or omit what you wish. Thanks in advance!! :D

1. How long have you been teaching?
    2. What is your race and sex? (DELETED - optional!)
    3. Have you altered or radically changed your teaching style because of NCLB and/or state standards in last 2 yrs.
    4. Have you seen an increase in reading and math programs? (Examples include SRA Open Court Reading for Pre-K, Language for Learning and Saxon Math for Pre-K.)
    5. Have you had any program removed or reduced from your class in the last 2 yrs, (i.e. recess, nap time reduced, free time or foreign languages eliminated)
    6. Do you think preschool children need a stronger curriculum to prepare them for high stakes testing?
    7. Is your program a private school/church based/or public elementary school?
    8. any other comments you would like to add?

Appreciate your feedback! I have two weeks before my kids start, so I'll be getting my room together, and watching other teachers! Then, I know I'll be back here soon! This will help me a lot!!!

edited to add....Race and sex are optional!

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 27, 2007

1. How long have you been teaching? this is my 15th year
    3. Have you altered or radically changed your teaching style because of NCLB and/or state standards in last 2 yrs. YES
    4. Have you seen an increase in reading and math programs? YES, definitely! When I first started we didn't have any curriculum at all, we made it all ourselves, now we have Growing With Math, Every Day in Pre-K Calendar Math, Scholastic EC for LA, and FOSS for science.
    5. Have you had any program removed or reduced from your class in the last 2 yrs: YES, they removed NAP from our full-day program this year
    6. Do you think preschool children need a stronger curriculum to prepare them for high stakes testing? YES, if we only teach them 10 letters in pre-k- which is what our state guidelines say- then they are going to struggle in Kinder because they start guided reading the first week of kindergarten and have to be reading on a level 6 to leave kindergarten.
    7. Is your program a private school/church based/or public elementary school? PUBLIC SCHOOL, we have over 60 full-day pre-k teachers in our district.
    8. any other comments you would like to add? :soapbox:I think a lot of people believe that to be DAP you have to restrict what you teach children because there is always a fear they will be perceived as non-DAP. So many teachers feel they must "protect" their children from non-DAP practices such as reading and writing, but I believe there are ways to teach these things in a DAP way. I strongly believe that what DAP means is different for each child. For "johnny" DAP might mean writing his name in shaving cream, but for "billy" it might mean learning letter sounds through a fun, interactive song because he already knew the alphabet when he came to my class. A good teacher can make anything DAP. My district requires us to teach all the letters, upper and lowercase as well as the letter sounds. I found after my first year of full-day pre-k that they can master that by Christmas, in a totally fun and DAP way so does that mean that I stop teaching after Christmas? No, that means I take it to the next level and make learning to read just as fun and DAP as everything else before it was. Sometimes when you're given lemons you have to make lemonade.:2cents:

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2007

I think it is silly for them to think that EVERY prek student will be ready to read by the time they leave prek and enter kinder. I was reading by the time I was 4, but many of the classmates did not know all of their letters or sounds. I think the focus has shifted from the students' needs to that of test scores. :soapbox:

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2007

1. How long have you been teaching? this is my 14th year
    2. What is your race and sex? female, white
    3. Have you altered or radically changed your teaching style because of NCLB and/or state standards in last 2 yrs. yes, we've been forced to (though I do think it was more like 3-4 years ago...) when our district adopted Open Court Reading in PreK. We'd gone from an integrated, holistic, district-published curriculum to that.
    4. Have you seen an increase in reading and math programs? (Examples include SRA Open Court Reading for Pre-K, Language for Learning and Saxon Math for Pre-K.) YES. We have formal, purchased sets of curriculum for each and every discipline. Science (Newbridge), Social Studies (Scholastic), Reading/LA (OCR), Math (Growing with Mathematics).
    5. Have you had any program removed or reduced from your class in the last 2 yrs, (i.e. recess, nap time reduced, free time or foreign languages eliminated) We went from daily, 30 minutes of outside time - to "we hope you make it out once or twice a month). Our K classes lost naptime.
    6. Do you think preschool children need a stronger curriculum to prepare them for high stakes testing? I wish the testing would just go away.
    7. Is your program a private school/church based/or public elementary school? public preK for kids "at-risk" of failure in school, namely those under poverty level or ELL.
    No preK child NEEDS to learn to read. That's nuts. We need to give them the foundations so that they can start to learn to read in K. And, many of them won't even be developmentally ready to read until 1st grade.
    Kim

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

WOW! thanks guys! this is great. If anyone knows how to make an official survey poll...one that will be anyonmous...and you can just answer ...let me know.

I love everyone's responses!! :D :2up::2up:

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

That's exactly what this survey is about Smalltown!
    When I start my new job tomorrow, I am certain that I will see a pre-k program that is almost identical to kindergarten.

I picked up on that from the interivew, and tour of the building. :confused:

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2007

12 years

2. What is your race and sex?
    white, female - do you think this makes a difference to this survey?

3. Have you altered or radically changed your teaching style because of NCLB and/or state standards in last 2 yrs.
    yes - not sure it is because of NCLB or parent expectations

4. Have you seen an increase in reading and math programs? (Examples include SRA Open Court Reading for Pre-K, Language for Learning and Saxon Math for Pre-K.)
    No - luckily so far we do our own

5. Have you had any program removed or reduced from your class in the last 2 yrs, (i.e. recess, nap time reduced, free time or foreign languages eliminated)
    No - holding the line so far

6. Do you think preschool children need a stronger curriculum to prepare them for high stakes testing?
    Heck no! But I am afraid that in our area the kids who need the most readiness because they aren't receiving it at home are the ones who are being served by Head Start which is so developmental that they may not be getting the pre-literacy skills they need in a modern kindergarten to be successful learners.

Public but through the adult school - parent participation so we don't have to follow all the rules of a regularly funded state preschool.

15 years ago my kids were considered normal because they didn't learn to read in kindergarten. Now they are considered "at risk" if they don't read at a certain level and in my local district are asked to come back for summer school to get them "ready" for first grade. If parents don't have them do summer school they are asked to sign a form acknowledging their decision may mean their child is not ready for 1st grade and that they are refusing services.

I DON'T THINK HUMAN EVOLUTION HAS CHANGED ALL THAT MUCH IN 10 YEARS TO MAKE ALL 5 YEARS OLDS ALL OF A SUDDEN ABNORMAL IF THEY CAN'T READ. We are making children feel unsuccessful and parents feel there is something wrong with their children or their parenting FOR NO GOOD REASON EXCEPT FOR POLICITICS! The reasons behind NCLB were good but the actual implementation and its domino effect on preschool has been very unfortunate for children and we will reap the consequences in the long run.

Sorry - you got me on my soapbox.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

so far...I hear a lot of you guys are on your soapboxes! :p

and you rather not tell your race or age.

that is okay...we can leave that out. This is just one of those instances where college does not help you with real life! I know it doesn't matter to me! But statistically speaking, I am supposed to get a random group.

again...I am more interested in comments!

what I am sensing are similiar feelings...

we are losing childhood to a robotic state of education!

if you take away recess from a kid, when do they ever get to play? We are reducing free time in an effort to increase reading time. At what cost? Will forcing longer blocks of instruction increase reading skills? Or just cause more fatigue, resentment and distractions!

In otherwords, sometimes in preschool and up to 3rd grade, teachers just have to stop, and tell our class to get up....

and shake our sillies out!!!

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2007

Wow! Manadatory summer school, under a threat that you will label your own child as not being 'ready'! That stinks!

Again, what ever happend to the joys of being a kid!? Remember when summer school was for those who risked failing a grade, or making up something, taking a class you wanted, or driver's ed!

We have something similiar to that in Chicago and suburban districts. But it is mainly for low achieving students, and also includes free breakfast and lunch, since these families are already recieving free lunch...it helps supplement nutrition.

but it's only 4 days, 2 1/2 hours, and about a month long. Also provides inservice training for teachers. Is that what your district's program is like? Tell me it's not longer than that, please! :eek:hmy:

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 28, 2007

Mornings (3 hrs) - 5 days a week - can't remember the weeks.

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 28, 2007

About 10 years.

2. What is your race and sex? (DELETED - optional!)
    White female.

Nope. Not one bit.

Nope.

Nope.

I think they need a curriculum that can prepare them to be creative critical thinkers.

Private, non-profit, arts-based curriculum.

I think that there are certainly DAP ways to incorporate reading into the preschool program. Begin with their names, move to environmental print, and then work on the first 20 sight words. That's your whole year right there.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2007

Thanks MsWK!!! :)

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2007

Up to third grade? Are you kidding? Heck, sometimes I have to stop and tell my class of grownups to get up and shake 'em out!

Seriously, I think we need to be prepared to recognize a larger range of abilities and accomplishments as "normal". Not being ready to read in kindergarten is probably normal. Being a fluent reader might be too. Stigmatizing either end of that continuum is unacceptable, and terrifying everyone in the process is heinous.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2007

well said TG!!! The main theme that I am picking up from my research articles is that "one-size" does not fit all! We are educators teaching children, not bakers making cookies! No cookie cutters in this camp!

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 1, 2007

Master- When you look at NCLB's suggestion for Pre-K Directors, it follows DAP. (I love all these letters) NCLB funding does not affect me in any way; however, I follow most of the concepts suggested for a "quality Pre-K". They can all be done in a DAP way. I do it every day. Following the "Bell Curve" there will always be students that fall below the average. It is completely unreasonable to thnk ALL students will meet a specific level. When funding comes into play, people go a little crazy and push those poor students. The problem is not with the concept behind NCLB, but expecting everyone to meet a specific level. :soapbox:

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2007

yes Dz, but isn't that the point? DAP is designed to treat children as individuals.

standardized testing does not

there are no standard kids! especially in pre-K! we all know the average 3 to 5 year old is anything but average! We've seen 5 year olds in pullups and teeny threes who can download free software for our computer!

18. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 2, 2007

Master- I agree with you 100%. I do not agree with standardized testing. Our Pre-Kinders are at such a wide range of development. What I am saying that the concepts NCLB want Pre-K teachers to present are on target. The standardized testing and the funding based on those testing results are way off base!!!

19. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

Yes Dz,

sooo, can we take the program changes, funding, and professional growth for early childhood education,

and toss the testing in the trash!!!! The finally got rid of the National Reporting System (NRS) in Head Start!!

just give us the cash, and leave our babies alone!

20. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 2, 2007

Amen!! The same educators who developed the concepts for HeadStart and No Child Left Behind Pre-K guidelines, tell us that standardized testing is not appropriate for early childhood! Go figure!!!

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 2, 2007

ok, then why not just make this nightmare a reality.....

"Attention staff,

We have now been informed that all grade level teachers will follow all standard procedures, and all programs, and all policies..from this day forward.

All students will recite the Pledge and sing one patriotic song, wait for the bus, wait in line, stand in the gym, get free lunch, get an IEP if they don't meet grade level work, homework every day, 30 minutes of physcial activity twice a week, parent conferences 4 times a year, science fair participation, character education/volunteer in community, take Consititution test, state tests, mandatory summer school, truancy notices for three days more of absences.

If you have any concerns, please fill out the standardized complaint form, in triplicate, and file it under my basked for the traditional turnaround time of 9 months to never.

sorry for the interruption.

have a great day."

22. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Nov 3, 2007

1. How long have you been teaching? 2 years
    2. What is your race and sex?
    3. Have you altered or radically changed your teaching style because of NCLB and/or state standards in last 2 yrs. No, I wasn't teaching yet 2 years ago.
    4. Have you seen an increase in reading and math programs? (Examples include SRA Open Court Reading for Pre-K, Language for Learning and Saxon Math for Pre-K.) No, we use HighReach curriculum and it is integrated, so no need for separate programs.
    5. Have you had any program removed or reduced from your class in the last 2 yrs, (i.e. recess, nap time reduced, free time or foreign languages eliminated) No, I made up the class schedule myself and haven't really changed it.
    6. Do you think preschool children need a stronger curriculum to prepare them for high stakes testing? NO!
    7. Is your program a private school/church based/or public elementary school? private school
    8. any other comments you would like to add? I believe that it is fine to EXPOSE prek students to reading/writing, but they should not be required to master it. At our school, we do not expect mastery at the prek level.

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2007

thanks tm!!

24. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 4, 2007

1. I've been teaching for 10 years
    2. I'm a female caucasion
    3. My teaching style has not changed at all. I'm always taking
    classes and making changes to curriculm.
    4. Yes. Zoo-Phonics for phonics, Writers Workshop for writing,
    a religion curriculum. Math and science consists of hands-on
    activities.
    5. No. I develop the curriculum. We have music, art, outdoor play,
    foreign language, religion and half of the day is child-directed.
    6. No.
    7. Pre-k in Catholic parochial Pre-K to 8.
    8. A curriculum can include pre-reading, math and phonics. It needs
    to be DAP, emergent and fun.

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2007

Thanks Dz!!!