NCLB ideas and thoughts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by thomps6, Sep 9, 2007.

1. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

I am trying to gain some ideas. Our district has been targeted as a district in need of improvement. I teach in a Title I school so from what I understand, NCLB has different meaning for us. We didn't make the grade with our African Americans in the area of math. Are you or know of someone who is teaching in a district in need of improvement? Do you know of anyone who lost their job because of NCLB and the school didn't make the necessary improvements? What is your administration doing to help the teachers to make changes? What changes or ideas do you have or have done so that your students do well on those tests? What has been your experience? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! We are going to have a meeting to brainstorm ideas and hopefully get the support we need from the district administration. Thanks again!:)

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Sep 9, 2007

I work for a very large district in Houston and even though the number of schools labeled "unacceptable" went down this year, there were still some on the list. Here they have 4 years to raise their test scores. I don't know anyone who has personally lost their job but there is a high school near us which was on its last year to improve. There they replaced the principal and many teachers. The teachers were also offered incentive pay to raise scores districtwide. Sign-on bonuses were offered to attract qualified teachers from other districts.

The schools started afterschool and Saturday tutorials, inviting people from the community to help tutor. The district started implementing more vertical alignment in curriculum. So in the places where there are deficits - math and science - there's more emphasis on vocabulary and even testing strategies at the lower levels. We are also required to identify students who need extra help at the beginning of the year and they have aides doing pull-out tutoring sessions with them during the day.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2007

Whereabouts are you located, thomps6?

5. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 9, 2007

Thanks for your thoughts. I am in Missouri.

Who paid for the facilitators who did the pullout? In the one school you mentioned that the principal was changed as well as some teachers. Were they non-tenured teachers? Did those teachers go to a different school or were they just out of a job?

From what I understand, if we do not improve next year then there will be changes as stated in NCLB. We will be having a brainstorming meeting soon and I would like to come with as many ideas as possible. I also understand that the NCLB is up for review. There have been comments in the media that the standard for proficient is not the same all over the U.S. So it does make it a bit more challenging!

I really appreciate all of the comments and ideas!!

6. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Sep 10, 2007

Anyone else have any experiences they would like to share? Anyone else in Missouri in the same situation? Thanks to everyone! :)