NC teachers that use NCWise

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 24, 2010

Woah, I am super excited. I just logged in to NCWise for the first time this year and there's a TON of changes. We have an NCWise training this morning and I'm actually looking forward to it now so I can see what's new! Hopefully they fixed some bugs and made it more user-friendly! :thumb:

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 24, 2010

What is the NCWise? Is it something anyone can look at? Sounds interesting and your attitude for using it is great, you'll be an asset to your district. Many times teachers grumble about things that make their world change.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

I haven't noticed any changes yet nor do I have any training scheduled. What is different - I'd like to figure it out before the year starts rolling!

5. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I wouuld also like to know about NCWise? Sounds like something interesting with your enthusiasm about it!

6. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

We haven't seen any changes either.

NCWise is the online system NC uses to track attendance and grades. When a student moves to a different district it makes it easy for all their info to go with them.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 24, 2010

False alarm :lol: Turns out when they transferred my username from one school to another they accidentally gave me the privileges of the SIMS administrator. Once the glitch was noticed it was back to regular old NCWise :(

8. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I have to say that, personally, I hate NCWISE! It is outdated, non-modular, cannot be customized by the users, counter-intuitive to use, and barely compatible with any recent browsers. The newer version of Firefox will not run it at all. Internet Explorer crashes on and off. Opera runs it, but only barely.

The internal ordering systme for data is badly flawed.

It is a bad program in general, and a pain to use.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 25, 2010

I agree with everything you said, but I prefer it over our old system of grading and attendance. I like having everything in once place and having the freedom to do grades from home.

But I HATE that grades (numeric) are posted on the progress reports next to the assignment. I don't like parents knowing how many grades I have and what assignments I've given.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 25, 2010

I don't understand what you mean about not liking the parents knowing what grades are given for what assignments. Isn't that the point of a progress report? I'm confused - but granted, I have only spent a couple of years on NCWISE so I may just not be reading your statement correctly.

11. Elcsmith

Elcsmith Companion

Aug 25, 2010

My favorite thing about NCWise is that you can print out class lists for checklists. Other than that I HATE it. It crashes all the time and it's slow. I think there is a lot of potential there but it's not managed well and the system does not seem as efficient as it could be. I do like the alerts though...they let you know about any major custody issues.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 26, 2010

I prefer letter grades over numbers is all....