NC teachers- I'm sorry your new pay scale isn't much better

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 7, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

The biggest slap in the face is that the GA and governor are taking away the longevity pay and giving it back as a "raise." Some people are actually making less according to this scale. They are getting a one-time (supposedly) supplement of either 800 or 1000 to make up for the difference. The politicians are screaming to everyone that this is the largest raise ever. With some teachers getting less than 2% on the scale and losing their longevity bonus.

So, take away $3000 from employees and give them back $3005. Then act all insulted when they don't bow down and sing your praises.

Another crappy thing - all state employees, except those involved in k-12 education get a $1000 raise and get to keep their longevity. Employees in k-12, except for teachers, get a 500 raise. So the custodian working in the capitol building gets a raise. The custodian in a school gets half. The bus driver on NC State's campus gets 1000, the bus driver for elementary school gets half.

I'm not sure what is going on with teachers assistants. They weren't cut, supposedly. But I'm reading a lot of chatter about their salaries, or part of them, have been moved to district funding now. Sounds like they were cut to me.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

I really feel for those at the top of the scale. They will really be cut losing base salary and longevity. People can't always afford to retire after 30 years.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2014

Good grief. I teach part time and make about as much as a step 5 teacher. That's ridiculous. I'm in a high cost area, but even so, it's absurd. Is this scale state wide or do the more expensive metro areas pay more?

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2014

State wide, but some districts can offer a supplement. I'd say on average, $2000. Some are $0, some are $6000ish.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

Districts offer supplements, typically as a percentage of pay. So far all of the people I've talked to have received notice from their districts saying that their supplement is being re-evaluated. My district said that if the state offered a 2% raise they would increase the supplement. But now that it is not a set percentage (and probably since they are believing the 7% crap that's being touted) they might even decrease the supplement.

Thankfully for the bigger cities the teachers seem to be well-supported by the district officials and the public. Those teachers get right at a 20% supplement.

10. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

I read an article earlier today about this. I don't work in North Carolina but live/work in a suburb of Charlotte so I have seen plenty of news on this. Watching the news on TV it seemed like a great raise. I said something yesterday to a coworker who used to teach in NC though and she informed me that it is not helping many. It is too bad many aren't seeing that story.

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 7, 2014

I think it's terrible how low the top of the pay scale is. I don't care how reasonable the cost of living may be, it's just not an appropriate wage for someone who has been doing a job for that many years. I'm totally okay with the beginning pay, I think $30K for first job out of college is definitely acceptable. My first job paid $24K (in 1994, in NYC working in the HR department for a bank) so by today's standards I feel that compares to what this scale starts at. But the top pay? Pathetic.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

And...some of the areas with low pay and low supplements are in high-cost areas too. Maybe not NYC high, but not nearly as low as people expect the Carolinas to be. You can travel 30 miles and go from decent apartments costing $500/month to $2000/month. But those 30 miles might take you over an hour to drive. Many teachers cannot afford to live in the communities where they teach.

13. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

It is incredible that I make what a teacher that has been teaching for 25 years make.

14. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 7, 2014

That's just, wow. No wonder teachers are leaving the state. They must have the lowest salary in the U.S. for teachers. :(

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 7, 2014

Our salary scale would be almost the same, except teachers make significantly more for having masters degrees in my district. We're one of the only districts in the area that is still paying more for extra credits/extra degrees though, so I'm really worried that my district will stop also. If placed on the correct step, I would make only $500 more per year here than I would in NC with a BA. However, with a masters I'd make $7,000 more here.

16. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 7, 2014

I will have to work 15 years to make what I made as a brand new teacher in Maryland. After 30 years of service, its not too much for your pay to at least double. Why has the attitude in education shifted to rewarding inexperience, instead of longevity and dedication for the profession. I guess when they have a huge teacher shortage in 10 years in this country politicians will only have themselves to blame. But what am I thinking they will just blame teachers! I have heard read several articles in local papers recently about the significant decline in students majoring in education in the NC University system.

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 7, 2014

It's better than the nothing that we've gotten the past couple years. I am appreciative.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 7, 2014

I'd have to be a school superintendent in North Carolina (with lots of experience) to make what I earn as a VP here in CA! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

19. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 8, 2014

So NJ starts out near what NC teachers end at? Wow.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2014

The starting salary for FIRST YEAR teachers in the Houston area is $50,000! Shame on North Carolina...

21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2014

Wow. I'm making more here than teachers in NC who have been teaching 25 years, and this is year 10 for me. And I don't think our cost of living is much higher...

22. lilia123

lilia123 Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I guess on one positive note my district came out with the new salary supplement schedule. (we get a flat rate amount based on years of experience instead of percentage like most counties). Teachers with 15 or more years of experience had their local supplement raised to replace their lose in longevity pay. Hopefully, more districts will do the same to keep their veteran teachers.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 8, 2014

That's really nice to hear! I don't have much faith in my district. They've tried to shaft us several times lately. I'll keep my fingers crossed though!

24. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I am appreciative, all throughout my education, teachers tried to tell me how bad the pay was---but looking at a number like 30,000, to a first time job seeker that sounded pretty awesome.

But here I am, student loans, bills, $700 rent, insurance, car payment. My bf and I want to start saving for a house....but I barely have any left to put towards my savings each month.

We are finally getting a supplement...for math and science teachers.

25. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 8, 2014

The supplement is from your district?

How do the rest of the teachers feel about that? Is it just for new hires or do the current math and science teachers get it too?

26. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

It's sad

Some districts in FL (mine included)pay close to NC.I didn't realize that until I saw the scale........and COL isn't great here, either. So many teachers in high paying districts don't realize that a lot of us don't make "those" salaries. Also, we usually have less benefits at a higher cost. I was surprised at how many teachers still get free insurance, etc. when it comes up on teacher forums. Nice perk. ( I had that when I taught in another state.)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2014

I make more (significantly more) than those with a doctorate at top step.:huh:

28. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I went back and looked at what I had read and it is a sign on bonus for science and math teachers...

The middle school has a hard time getting people to even come in and interview for positions (I didn't apply, I was contacted.) I think they hired 13 teachers last year, and one left a couple months in so they hired someone else. Five of those teachers resigned at the end of the year, that I know of. That doesn't include teachers that have been there awhile and resigned this year.

Instead of a sign on bonus, they should have a staying on bonus!

I know that conditions are the same or worse in other districts.

29. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 8, 2014

As a science teacher who is on her second career, I get a bit irritated with the signing bonuses. The idea that a brand new teacher, that I'm sure admin will want me to mentor in some way, will get extra money than I do is frustrating. Especially since it isn't something that will be drawing these teachers away from another career. They'd have to have (at least in my area) two years of preparation to get the job. They were already going to be teaching, regardless of the bonus.

If that frustrates me, I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to an English or History teacher.

30. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Aug 8, 2014

Ooooh, yeah! They reduced our top end pay by $3000 a year, and while all other state employees kept their longevity pay, they took ours away, and are giving it back to us incrementally as part of our "raise". After 25 years until the end of your career there are NO raises.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 8, 2014

Our raises stop after 30 years. Many people teach for five years after that because your retirement is based on your salary for your previous five years of teaching.

32. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2014

Here, you move up the scale pretty quickly, but after 10-15 years, you are stuck unless you add graduate credits. There is longevity pay in most district, but you are still frozen. It stinks to be topped out, but in the long run, you make more money than you would if you gradually went up the scale, so I'm OK with it. (For example, you'd earn the top pay ($50,000 in NC) for years 11+ instead of taking 30 years to get there. Sure you'd be stuck until a COL adjustment came up, but lifetime you earn a lot more!)

33. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 8, 2014

I'm completely counting my blessings that I don't teach in NC. Such a shame that our profession is not esteemed enough to make it worth doing financially for your whole life.

We are still district based with salaries so there is a great deal of difference in pay scales. I'd take at least a $10,000/year pay cut to teach in my district of residence as opposed to the one which is 37 miles one way.

34. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Aug 9, 2014

I did my internship (understand I was at the school a full year...1300+ hours, more than some of the paid teachers who have to follow curriculum binders aka photocopy a district mandated graphic organizer each day) in a very high paying district with benefits you couldnt even imagine existed - a school/district/city that pretty much creates the negative stereotypes of teachers. And now I hold a job at a lower paying, by far, school with no unions. And....my new school with low pay is a FAR more upbeat/dedicated with more caring teachers, admin etc. I love going there and working with staff and focusing on the students. I will never make enough money to lead the modest live I imagined myself creating for myself but I smile all day. BUT I do think the way education is treated is wrong....go to a big district it is all spent on consultants and other bs. People got too selfish and messed it up imo.