NC Final Exams

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linzi, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

I just talked to my principal today, and one of my students did not make up the NC Final Exam in my class. They informed me that it counts as a zero for me too!

We had to document a parent contact whenever our kids were out, which I did. How on earth should their failure to take the test count against my Standard 6/ EVAAS data???? Especially when I called and spoke with the parent?

Does anyone know how this works? I'm kind of upset about it. I worked hard with this kid. Not sure what in the world happened to him since his dad said he would make it up...

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2015

I'm sorry this happened to you. Not surprised, just sorry.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2015

Wow! I can't imagine that.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2015

In what way does this count against you?

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 28, 2015

Many places are using test scores as a way to fire (whoops... I mean evaluate) teachers. Many places count test refusals as a zero for the teacher (and therefore, make it much more likely the teacher gets fired/negatively evaluated).

7. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jan 29, 2015

In NC we are supposedly evaluated on six standards. However, you can be rated at "Distinguished", the highest level on all five of the other standards and if your kids, regardless of how apathetic, and unmotivated they might be, perform poorly on the ridiculous high stakes tests at the end of the year you are rated as ineffective. In reality standard six is all the state legislators, who know jack squat about effective education by the way, really look at.

No...I'm not bitter about it, why?