NBA's decision..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 3, 2014

Good points all around, Dave. People DO tend to rush to judgment and many are quick to jump on the condemnation bandwagon on any issue.

The Duke Lacrosse is a great example. BTW, I don't think Jesse Jackson ever followed through on his promise to apologize (publicly or privately) to the team if it was PROVEN they were not at fault. Instead, he did offer to pay the tuition of the woman who falsely accused them, even though it was proven her allegations were false.

Another example that came to my mind from your first post was Duane "Dog" Chapman - the bounty hunter. Many folks may remember he also was set-up (by his own son, no less) when a private phone conversation from his home was recorded (without his knowledge) and released. Yes, Chapman did use the "N" word. Yes, he admitted it was both ignorant and inexcusable for him to use that word, but that didn't stop people from also labeling him a "racist". It also didn't stop Al Sharpton from demanding A&E cancel Chapman's TV show. In this case, I agree that the use of a term does not arbitrarily mean the person is a racist. I think Dog Chapman's work with those he brings in as well as in his community have shown that.

As for the lawsuits against Sterling, there have actually only been 3 and only 1 of those actually went against him. Two of the lawsuits were based on discrimination practices regarding his housing units. One was settled out of court and the other reached a settlement in court. The 3rd lawsuit was from Elgin Baylor, who accused Sterling of unfair firing as well as racist actions and remarks. Sterling won that lawsuit. Not surprising, though, considering the fact that Sterling is a licensed lawyer who LOVES litigation and is very good at it.

2. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 3, 2014

She loves him like a dad, alright... a Sugar Daddy.

Or a Big Daddy Warbucks. :rolleyes: