NBA's decision..

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Apr 29, 2014.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2014

Good call, bad call?

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 29, 2014

Harsher than I expected, but I think it is about time! Where does the fine money go?

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2014

Money goes to anti-discrimination organizations.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 29, 2014

I'm surprised, but I think it is great. There's no room in the NBA-or the world-for that kind of behavior. He has no remorse.

My favorite quote-you enjoy freedom of speech, but you don't enjoy freedom from consequences because of that speech.

Enjoy your forced retirement, a$$hole. I hope you wallow in shame for the rest of your years.

The money goes to anti-discrimination organizations.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 29, 2014

Thanks.:)

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 29, 2014

The money will go to various charity organizations that promote anti-discriminatory behavior. Those charities will be chosen jointly by the NBA and the Player's Association - so the players and their chosen reps will get to have a voice in where the money goes.

It was absolutely the right decision, just as it was the right decision when baseball did the same thing to Marge Schott several years ago.

The most exciting news I've heard about the situation is that Magic Johnson and his billionaire backers are supposedly interested in buying the Clippers from Sterling. It seems pretty clear that Sterling will be forced to sell the team and that all members of the Sterling family will be ineligible to continue any form of ownership.

Having Magic Johnson and his group buy the team would seem to be the best-case scenario on a number of levels.

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Apr 29, 2014

I've heard that most of these "Magic Buying the Clips" rumors are unfounded. So, we shall see.

The Greatest Laker of All Time owning the Clips? He can focus on the Dodgers and Sparks.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2014

:thumb::2up::up::clap:

10. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 29, 2014

I read the first story yesterday that Magic and his group might be interested and I agree that would be the best possible solution for a number of reasons.

The second story (which I read today) did state Magic was claiming the rumors were unfounded, but the same article said Magic and his group had made inquiries regarding the process they would have to follow IF they WERE interested in buying the team.

It IS true that Magic is considered the greatest Laker of all time, but he's made it clear he wants to own an NBA team. He bought the LA Sparks to keep them from folding, but also to establish some good-will with the NBA for his future bid on a men's team.

He WOULD like to buy the Lakers, but the Buss Family made it very clear the team is NOT for sale, despite how bad they have become. Soooooooo, that makes the Clippers a much more attractive option for Magic. He still gets to own an L.A. team and, at least for now, the Clippers are actually becoming much better and MUCH more popular with the LA fans than the Lakers.

So we'll wait and see what happens. :cool:

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

The greatest Bull of all time owns the Bobcats...everybody has to start somewhere!

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 30, 2014

It sounded like a jealousy rant to me. This was just a domestic problem. Why was she recording, and just who and why released it? It also sounded like it was not in a public place his house maybe.

My question is when was the conversation recorded? Before or after the Sterling family filed their 1.8 million dollar lawsuit against her and I am no way taking his side the words he used were wrong. He should have kept his views in the closet. She kept stirring the pot and bringing it back to race. He didn't bring race into it she did. She's being sued for embezzlement and extortion. As deplorable as He sounded I can't help but to wonder what WAS her motive, She and Her lawyer say they did not release the recording, THAT DOES NOT PASS THE BS SMELL TEST!
    If he is such a Racist why was he dating a woman who is ½ black ½ hispanic (Mexican)? (yes I know the slave owners used their female slaves for sex)

Lately the word racist has been used to describe many people who say things displeasing to minorities and other races
    Personally I reserve the word racist for Ku Klux Klan lynchers , Skin Head Gang attachers, genocidal Muslims, genocidal Christians, Hitler and the like.
    The word racist has been used to describe doddering old men with enlarge prostrates, skin blotches, erectile dysfunction, hearing aides, and coke bottle glasses, A rancher, a Basketball team owner but these people are just old foolish contemptible persons (Read as A-holes).
    Let us not dilute the word racist, let us use it for the REAL racists.

As far as the NBA sanctions, I am on the fence, it is the NBA's "ball" so they can do anything. They seem to be overboard.
    A big shot of sensitivity training would be in order.

My Biracial step-daughter is questioning what are her motives for the recording. She too thinks what he said was terrible but the reaction has gone overboard.

In the long run The NBA will survive with or without Sterling.

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 30, 2014

Those are all valid questions, Dave.

Why would he be dating a woman of mixed heritage if he is racist? For much the same reason the former KKK Grand Dragon was once caught by police with a black, male prostitute.

You do have a good point about not wanting to dilute the meaning or impact of the word "racist". We do the same thing with the word "bully".

While the media attention is focused on this latest incident from Sterling, he does have a long history of actions and comments to support the label. And while the new NBA commissioner acted swiftly and decisively in this case, the owners, players and NBA Board of Governer's have known about Sterlings views and actions for many years and ignored them. It's really only news now because his team is actually good. When his teams were the worst in the NBA, his personal views were largely considered irrelevant.

As for the girlfriend situation, I don't think ANYONE involved has any moral high ground to stand on. Sterlings' estranged wife has accused the girlfriend of "embezzling" 1.8 million dollars, but the items she is accused of "stealing" are the expensive home and cars Sterling bought for her. The wife says these were "stolen" because the girlfriend used seduction to get these items of value. Well no JOKE, honey. Your husband is a horn-dog and a moral slug. I'm sure this isn't the first affair he has had and I'm sure you've known about the others too, but you stayed with him for the same reason the other women went after him - his MONEY.

The girlfriend said the wife HAD to know about Sterling's affairs. Given the fact there are plenty of pictures of her sitting with Sterling at the Clippers ball games in full, public view, it's kinda hard to argue her point. Of course, the girlfriend also KNEW Sterling was married and still engaged in a relationship with him. In my opinion, that says a lot about her moral character as well.

And, finally, the tape itself. One of the first reports stated the girlfriend told Sterling she would "get him back" for the lawsuit. There is no doubt in my mind at all that this WAS a set-up on her part, but Sterling was stupid enough to fall for it. Even if she did set him up and bait him, she didn't put the words in his mouth. He did that on his own. It WAS a private conversation, but we've seen with increasing frequency that private conversations aren't really "private" anymore, which is another poor reflection on our society (IMO).

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2014

Yeah, she's a real peach.

15. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 30, 2014

Being in the area that the team is from, it's been a big topic of conversation. Basketball is huge here. In my experience, everyone was pretty shocked and offended with what happened and is pleased with the decision. I haven't met a single person who disagrees with it.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 30, 2014

One of the player representatives announced yesterday that the players were ready to boycott the games if the new commissioner did not provide a satisfactory answer and response. That's a pretty serious threat considering ALL the playoff games this year have been among the most competitive in NBA history.

Stephen Curry (guard for the Golden State Warriors) verified that he and the rest of team were ready to NOT play last night if that's what had to be done.

Adam Silver really had no choice but to act as swiftly and severely as he did and he deserves a lot of credit for realizing he HAD to come down on this situation as harshly as possible.

A lot of talk on ESPN today has either alluded to or outright stated that the former commissioner, David Stern, was afraid of taking on Sterling because Sterling is a licensed lawyer who LOVES litigation and would have welcomed a chance to take the NBA to court. Stern was iconic in his term as commissioner and accomplished many great things. He also earned a reputation as an authority owners and players didn't want to mess with, but he never wanted to take on Sterling. Since the Clippers were never a very good team most of those years, Stern was able to ignore Sterling's views and actions, even when it involved personnel decisions within the organization.

It would have been very easy for the NEW commissioner to also be wary of taking on someone his highly-praised predecessor was cautious about, but Silver realized immediately nothing less than a very firm, strong action would be acceptable to the players and fans (and even the other owners) and he followed through with what he felt had to be done.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 30, 2014

Donald Sterling is a horrible human being, and the NBA will be better off without him. For that matter, the world in generally would be better if anybody with Sterling's views were to die tomorrow.

HOWEVER... this move is years late. This should have been done when Elgin Baylor sued him for discrimination, or when the federal government sued him for discrimination, or when he said all black people smell and are unclean, or when he called all Mexicans lazy alcoholics.

The depressing part of this now is that Sterling has been a known bigot for years... decades even... and it's only a big deal now because TMZ got ahold of an illegally-recorded tape of a private (albeit horribly offensive) conversation, and because sponsors started pulling out. If Sterling had made equally offensive comments towards homosexuals, or transsexuals, or probably several other groups, this wouldn't be happening.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2014

Um...are you being serious with all this? So, like, an old fart with a flaccid penis can't be racist? Okay. I'm going to just back away slowly....

[​IMG]

19. bison

bison Habitué

May 1, 2014

Agreed with the above two posts, but I didn't even know where to begin.

20. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 1, 2014

The point I think he's trying to make is that we are all kinda racist to some degree. All of us. And that being the case, differentiating between regular folks and people who actively work to oppose other races. I can see his point.

I don't agree though, because Sterling did actually oppose minorities in his practice. Therefore, he is a "real racist".

21. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 1, 2014

This is interesting. I have no dog in the fight. I bet none of the minority players give back any of the millions this racist paid them over the years. The NAACP was giving him a lifetime award for his benevolence (I think giving youngsters tickets for so many years). His actions did not mirror his words. Seriously, I am playing devil's advocate here. I always argue against those angry white guys proclaiming all the black racism in the world now. My counter is REAL RACISM occurred in this country when the power structure kept black folks down and they had no recourse. I grew up in the south and remember the horrible stuff. Black people had no where to turn because society allowed it. An old idiot like this running his mouth is just an idiot, no real power to oppress minorities. I say ban this idiot and UNBAN Pete Rose from baseball.

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 1, 2014

This guy has plenty of power to oppress blacks, and based on the many lawsuits against him for racial discrimination, has used that power.

Also, no to unbanning Pete Rose. He can come back when he's dead. Since the Black Sox scandal, it has been posted in every locker room that betting on baseball would result in a lifetime ban. Rose knew what he was doing, lied like a dog when he was caught, and only admitted it to try and sneak himself back in. Rose agreed to the lifetime ban himself. Let Shoeless Joe Jackson back in first, maybe Eddie Cicotte too, and Rose can go into Cooperstown sometime after he passes.

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 1, 2014

To me being a racist ranks slightly below murderers, rapists and pedophiles.
    This rant was a rant jealous man, his use of prejudicial terms really wasn't point of the rant. He displayed jealous behavior when he told her he didn't want to see her with other men and he use a term of color. With the way social media is, a picture with someone (Black, white, brown or plaid) would cause tongues a wagging and personal embarrassment for him.
    Do you know that the LA Chapter of NAACP was going to honor him for his benevolence. They have since rescinded the offer.

The more I find out the more it sounds like a set up by the mistress to take the heat off her from the law suit ($1.2 million) Crying racism is just a "sleight of hand"

HE IS STILL A FOOLISH OLD MAN trying to relive his sexual adolescence.

When does an action or spoken word become racism? When is it just ramblings of an old man?
    When can we just pass it off as it is an old man, he grew up that way, or a young man, it's his up bring?

In the long run his rant does not rise to the level of the punishment.
    This seems like a zero tolerance problem and as we know about the problems that has caused
    ex. The Honor student being suspended and looking at expulsion, because his father's fishing knife was in the trunk of his dad's car that he just happened to drive to school that day.

By going for the jugular in the title you apply to the fool you have diminished the severity of real racists (KKK, Hitler, and others like them) Does his racism rise to the level of lets say Hitler?

24. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 1, 2014

Any comment on the lawsuits where he's been accused of racial discrimination by, among others, the federal government?

25. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 1, 2014

"When does an action or spoken word become racism? When is it just ramblings of an old man?"

Those two categories are not mutually exclusive.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2014

Does Sterling's racism rise to the level of Nazism? No - but if the anti-Semitism on which Nazism battened and with which it bargained for votes had been confessed and confronted by those in the Church and in power who should have known better, then just maybe the German people wouldn't have fallen so far so fast.

The attempted parallel to the honor student suspended for having a knife in his backpack fails utterly. The student intends neither damage nor division; he is harming no one and impugning no one - though he is still breaking a school rule for which there is a specified punishment. (Whether the punishment is commensurate to the offense is a different issue.) In contrast, racism by definition relegates some portion of the human race to the status of Less Than, and, while the racist may protest that he means no harm in noting how those others are Less Than, there's not a hope in Hades that no harm is being done.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 1, 2014

[​IMG]

28. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 1, 2014

It didn't sound jealous to me. In the conversation, he said she could sleep with blacks and see them in private, but not post pictures with blacks on her instagram.

A jealous man isn't ambivalent about his girlfriend's sexual partners.

29. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 1, 2014

I do agree that he was set up, but that doesn't diminish his racist views.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 1, 2014

Why would we want to do that? Why should we?

Dave, I'm sorry but I cannot see why you are saying these things.

A racist is a racist is a racist. When, how, what decade, or to what extent doesn't matter.

They're all narrow minded lowlifes that make the world worse for living in.

31. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

We have many who see it as a black and white issue with no shades of gray (zero tolerance*) if someone uses a "racist" term is it automatic that the person is racist?

* zero tolerance leaves no gray areas, that was the point I was trying to make with honor student reference not equating or parallel the Knife and the racist rant

32. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 2, 2014

His only power is to not hire someone or fire someone and that is his perogative. On the flip side, as majority owner of the Clippers, he has paid out 100s of millions of dollars to minority athletes and donated so much to minorities the NAACP there gave him awards. Now the oppression I was referring to was an entire race denied decent schools and jobs and even common courtesy by the entire society. It is not even close. He is a ignorant elderly man with lots of money. His words carry little weight except that he was the owner of an NBA team and it was completely inappropriate considering his huge position for a league dominated by minorities. The people in charge and associated with it have spoken and I see no problem with it.

33. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

May 2, 2014

If used in a negative context, then yes. I'm not sure I understand the confusion there. Why, in the world, would an actual non-racist person ever even think to use racial langauge? I've been extremely angry at people who happened to be African-American numerous times. Angry to the point of stuttering and shaking and yet no racial terms have ever slipped out. I've called them every name in the book (deserved! :p ) but it would have never occured to me to insult their skin color over their behavior.

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 2, 2014

^^agreed.

I don't understand the attempt to qualify racism.

Racism is racism is racism. It is what it is.

There are no "degrees" of racism. You're not "kinda" a racist, or "sometimes" a racist.

You are or you aren't. And if you are telling your girlfriend that she can sleep with black people but not post pictures of them on Instagram, that my friend...is racism.

And to even consider trying to excuse it because she secretly recorded it, or because he was "set up"? Sorry. Not excusable. My momma always told me if I don't mean it, don't say it.

35. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 2, 2014

Um... he's been sued for racial discrimination, repeatedly, due to his actions as a slum lord. He has more power than just hiring and firing basketball players.

36. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

Well, your racism may not be my racism.
    What you call racism, may be to me just someone acting like a jackass and best ignored because I don't want to give the fool a stage.
    I have to see a pattern to the comments before I label a person a racist.
    Many people labeled Sterling before the other legal cases came up (not many outside LA knew about the other legal cases involving discrimination)
    I guess I Tolerate more things than others do.

37. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

I has been reported that Sterling has 4th stage cancer so he will die soon enough

38. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 2, 2014

You have his words, you have his actions. I'm not sure what more you need to be convinced that Donald Sterling is a racist.

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 3, 2014

Did anyone watch her interview with Walters? I didn't, but I read where she said he was NOT racist. Hmmm... I don't even know how to react to that! ETA: Just watched ten minutes. Seemed she was being fed lines...so awkward. But I guess she was just choosing her words carefully?

Oh, and she loves him like a dad. So I'm sure the relationship was entirely pure and sincere. :haha:

40. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

In this case Sterling IS a racist.

What I don't like is how soon someone is called a name, Racist, Bully, etc. many people jumped right to racist, not knowing about his previous discrimination problems (did the rulings go against him I have just heard he was sued but I have not seen the rulings I assume they went against him) I like to wait and get more info before I call names and apply labels.
    Many people go straight to the worst this happens with other issues
    guns- a pop tart shaped like a gun
    kissing - a kindergardener accused sexual assault for kissing a classmate etc.
    It becomes a rush to judgment. Again the accusers were right with this one, but I have seen it happened before everybody jumping on the bandwagon and it turn out that there was nothing "going on" ex. Duke Lacrosse.

41. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 3, 2014

Irish, because its the first time anyone's ever heard of him, paid attention to basketball...It's an easy way to jump on the band wagon.