Natural History Lessons for Pre-K

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by A_Pre-K_Teacher, Mar 2, 2008.

1. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

I need some lesson ideas for natural history for 4 year olds. Thanks!

3. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Mar 2, 2008

Here are a few for you... hope this helps :)

1. Timeline game- This is great because it can be adapted for all ages, even high school. Make a few cards, say about 8-10, with a picture of a natural history event (for 4's I'd say dinosaurs coming about, humans coming about, the first flowering plant, oxygen atmosphere developing, etc. Keep it simple) and a short explanation of the event. Then gather the kids together and ask them which one they think came first, second, etc. When they're done, tell them the right answers, and see which ones they ordered correctly! This will also give you an idea of how much they already know.

2. Ice age chipper- Great if you have a lot of spirited children. The night before school, take a medium-sized tub and fill it with water, and put a toy animal in it (awesome if you have a mammoth or sabertooth tiger toy). Place the tub in the freezer overnight. The next day, ask the kids to help you free the toy from the ice. I put the tub in a larger tub and place it on top of a crate or table so the kids can reach it easily. You can use child-sized tools, rocks, etc. but I strongly recommend having them wear protective eye goggles. :)

3. Layers of the Earth- A messy activity great for outdoors! You'll need a large glass bowl, and about 2 cups of the following: whipped cream, red and blue pre-made jello, cookie crumbs, gummy dinosaurs, green sprinkles, and gummy bears. Here's how you do the lesson:

Explain to the kids that the Earth is made of layers, and the ground we walk on has lots of things under it. In the beginning, Earth was made of lava and rock (add the red jello to the bowl). Then as the Earth cooled, larger rocks formed (add some cookie crumbs), but it cooled so much that the ice age came (add whipped cream). Soon the Earth warmed up again and the ice melted, helping create the oceans (add the blue jello). Dinosaurs walked the earth then (add gummy dinos). Then they all went extinct when the Earth changed yet again (add rest of cookie crumbs). Now the Earth is covered with plants (add green sprinkles) and we have all kinds of different animals (add gummy bears).

It's very simplified obviously, but it gets the kids thinking in the right direction. Afterwards eating it is optional.

Hope you like those ideas!

4. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Mar 10, 2008

Thanks!

I love the layers of the earth activity!