Natural Childbirth?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rebecca1122, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

I am not pregnant, nor do I have any children but I took an Infancy class last semester where we discussed the topic of natural childbirth.

I was always one who thought I would definitely be having those drugs...I have a very low pain tolerance! And who knows, I still might choose to do so, I'm not there yet. But we watched a documentary called The Business of Being Born which had some very convincing points on giving birth naturally (of course, it was a documentary made by natural birth advocates so you have to take that into account). It was very interesting though, and I had never really given much thought to the topic before. The documentary really pushed at-home births, but my teacher also brought up the fact that you can have a natural birth in a hospital setting as well. Come to find out after talking with my mom, she actually had a natural birth with my younger sister after having a less than positive experience with me doing a 'typical' hospital birth.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone here had a natural childbirth...at home or in a hospital? Obviously, I have no firsthand experiences with childbirth, so I am curious to see what those who have gone through it (and those who haven't, if you have thought about it!) have to say on the issue. :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2010

I have had children both ways. I did not have good experiences with natural childbirth.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2010

I have many, many friends who are natural childbirth advocates and who have birthed at home. I think it's a wonderful thing.

When I was pg with my first son, I studied the Bradley Method and planned for a drug-free birth in the hospital. Things didn't go as planned because we found out my son had died in utero and labor was induced. I ended up opting for an epidural. I actually ended up with a c-section. Therefore, when my second son was born, I had another c-section and obviously did not end up with a drug-free birth. I know many women who have had a vaginal birth after cesearean (VBAC) and even some who birthed at home after a c-section. Things had changed for me, though. I just needed a living baby in my arms and they could have taken him out of my nose for all I cared.

I did get the honor of being present at the birth of my friend's daughter. She was 11 pounds and was delivered with no drugs. It was amazing!

I do think it is the sort of thing you need to plan out ahead of time. Unless you have a really fast labor, chance are you are going to request drugs unless you are steadfastly committed to not using them.

There is no "right" way.

5. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2010

The best way is however you want to do it. I have no pain tolerance (as my dentist has learned with my TMJ), and was asking for meds the minute I went to the hospital. My OBGYN knew about my not being able to tolerate pain and gave me morphine for all 3 pregnancies until they could give me the epidural. My 1st baby was 8 lbs, the second was 6 lbs and the 3rd was over 10 lbs and I was induced a month early so he was not too big to deliver. I would never do it without drugs but my best friend has 10 children and did not have any drugs with any of them. It is an individual decision. My husband once told me that if I had tried to deliver without drugs he would have made sure he was in another state at the time because it would have been miserable for all of us. Also if I had tried to deliver without drugs, my oldest daughter would have been an only child.

6. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 13, 2010

Absolutely, there is no right way for everyone. And I agree with you that it must be something planned out ahead of time, because it seems as if it takes a big commitment and you really need to know what you want.

So sorry to hear about the loss of your child, how awful. It is completely understandable why you didn't chose a VBAC.

7. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Mar 13, 2010

Both of my pregnancies were fine until delivery. My first son's heart stopped while I was giving birth and luckily he was fine after birth. If we had been at home, well, I don't even want to think of it.

While my second son was being born, I had complications. Luckily, everything turned out fine.

I know that in both of my cases, things would have been pretty terrible if we had not been at a hospital. I was young and the pregnancies had been perfectly fine--absolutely no indication of any problems prior to them happening.

8. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

My first was natural childbirth in the hospital with a 10 hour labor. She was 8 pounds 6 ounces. My second, 8 years later, was going to be natural but she ended up getting too big and at 10 pounds 6 ounces, needed to be born via C-Section. Natural took a small time to recover compared to the long ordeal or recovering after a C-Section. I've never given birth vaginally with drugs since I've only had two children so I have nothing else to compare. I wasn't brave enough to go for a third time so I have only two children! LOL

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 13, 2010

My sister has had two natural childbirths in hospitals. They found this great place that lets you stay in the same room the whole time! It is a private room with an extra bed, for guests to sleep on. She's working on baby number three right now, and plans for him to be natural as well!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

7plus, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I would never consider having a baby at home. There are just too many possible problems-- I want my baby (and me too!) to have access to whatever medical care the situation calls for. Thankfully, both my girls were delivered without a major problem. (Though, they needed suction for Julia.)

Julia was an entire night of heavy labor. To put it simply, it was the most painful experience of my life. And that was WITH the epidural. (and take a look at my recent medical history-- in the 5 surgeries I've had in the past 2 years, I've taken exactly ONE painkiller pill outside of the hospitals, and that was because the doctor told me to do it. I've had 2 root canals without any issues. I rarely take even a Tylenol. But I canNOT imagine having given birth to Julia without that epidural.)

Kira was a whole lot easier. (Brian, of course, was a picnic!!! :p)

And for the record, my regular hospital has "birthing suites." You stay in the same room for all of labor and delivery, right up until the time they bring you up to the nursery. Of course, once you have the epidural, those comforts are pretty much for your husband, not you.

As others have stated, there is no "right way."

11. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Mar 14, 2010

I think it's fine to plan for one way as long as you're ready to accept that things can chance very quickly! I don't have any kids yet, but I know plenty of women who planned for natural CB and then decided they needed the drugs, or who were adamantly against C-sections but gave in very quickly to having one after they'd been in labor 20 hours and the baby wasn't coming out anytime soon, lol.

I don't think I would opt to have an at-home birth, personally. I'm like Alice, I'd prefer to be close to hospital equipment and doctors if something happened.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

I had an epidural with my first and planned to with my second, but Lauren was in too much of a hurry to make that possible (don't hate me, but she arrived less than 2 hours after my first contraction). I think that everyone needs to make their own decisions; there is no one right answer.

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I'm currently pregnant and this topic has been on my mind a lot lately. I too watched "The Business of Being Born" and have decided that I want to try a natural childbirth as much as possible before I have any kind of medicine.

I'm not ruling out medicine as an option, but I feel as if it's better for the mom and baby if you don't have to have the epidural. I like the idea of mobility during childbirth, where I can walk around and try different positions and with many epidurals I know you're confined to a bed. My mother had a natural childbirth with me and said the entire process was miserable, she had an old school doctor who didn't believe in meds and couldn't get them if she wanted to. Her experience has been skewed and she has encouraged me to 'not be a hero' and take the meds. I see all points of view, and ultimately I'm going to try the med-free process.

As for the home births that the video glorifies, I think it's a beautiful thing to be able to birth your baby at home. However, I want to be in the hospital setting if anything went wrong. I like the sense of security being at the hospital.

14. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 14, 2010

I'm not pregnant. I always assumed I would have drugs. but if my labor is as fast as my mom's was with my brother and my sister I won't have time for them.
    I like Alice and the others who wants to be at a hospital. My cousin wouldn't be alive today if my aunt hadn't been at the hospital. She came out blue.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2010

I also planned for a natural childbirth and was able to do that but I do have a pretty high tolerance as well. But it came to a point with my first son when I had been pushing for over 3 hours when the dr. said we needed to give birth to my big (9 1.2 lbs) boy. He sent me across the hall into the birthing room to get me into a different position (with success) and I avoided a C-section. You have to have a dr. you trust and it doesn't hurt to have a small baby.:whistle:

16. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I definitely have no tolerance for pain either. Even with drugs, my husband will be in Iraq, so I don't have to worry about either of us getting annoyed with the other during the delivery.

17. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I have a low tolerance for pain. I tried to stick it out with my first child, and went for several hours without meds. But... I was in so much pain, and so uncomfortable, and progress was SOOOOO slow, that I decided to take the drugs so I could rest. I first tried the narcotic shots that they offered, but they didn't help much for me -- just took the edge off, but I still couldn't rest. I opted for the epidural, and was able to sleep. By the time the epidural started wearing off, it was time to push. It hadn't worn completely off, so it was a bit difficult. But it wore off enough that it hurt. :( But labor was over 24 hours...

Fast forward to baby #2: Was induced because the doctor decided he wasn't responding as well as she would have liked. So, Pitocin started at 3:30 (water was broken by doctor at 3:00), and he was born at 7:03. Things went really fast, and I did have one shot because it was hurting so much. It hardly touched the pain.

I wouldn't ever do a home birth, personally, because of my fear of something going wrong. But, I know of someone who has delievered two of their three children at home. To each their own, I suppose. The same thing for the drugs. I would advise someone to keep an open mind, and to find a doctor that will support them, either way, and especially if they change their mind in labor. I would have been really messed up (more so, I guess), had I not gotten the epidural with my first baby. I was so exhausted by the time I got it, and recovering from that exhaustion was a long process - a few weeks. Compared to how quickly I recovered with my second, I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I hadn't slept.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 14, 2010

At the hospital...NO time for drugs. Had back labor most of the nite at home...delivered in about 20 mins after getting to hospital. #2 NO time...at hospital... Mrs.C labor maybe 2hrs or less. Delivered in 10 mins after arriving..know this because midwife had nurse check!!!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

I still say adoption is the easiest.

We got to JFK about an hour before Brian's flight was due. My parents and 2 of my sisters were there, along with Pete's mom (his dad wasn't really mobile enough, even back then) and my nephew.

Marge, our "greeter" met us, and went back to the gate to bring us our baby boy. I've got to tell you: there wasn't a dry eye in the entire terminal.

No pain,no weight gain, no maternity clothes... just a smiling 7 month old baby boy (complete with 7 teeth :)

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 14, 2010

I love this! My husband and I are discussing different adoption options, and this story made me very happy!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

Oh, PM me if you want more info.

We celebrated Brian's 11th Gotcha Day on January 12. He's in middle school now. It's so hard to believe that my tiny little baby boy is now that pre-teen who puts gel into his hair and offered to carry his tired sister home from a neighbor's tonight.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

I love this story as well, Alice. One of our teachers is adopting from China--they will be travelling sometime in late June or early July.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2010

Brian's Social Studies teacher just returned from a month of family leave; he and his wife went to China to adopt their new daughter.

Sorry for the hijack!!!

24. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

I also agree with many posters, I don't think I would opt for a home birth. I would need the security of knowing if something went wrong the doctors were RIGHT there. My teacher shared that she had two natural births in a hospital, with the help of a doula and midwife.
    I think it would be very helpful to have a midwife or doula. Someone who knows so much about birth and can help you make educated decisions when you are in all that pain.

Alice after watching many birth videos in my child development classes...adoption sounds like a wonderful option!

25. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Don't have any children of my own yet, but I know so many people who planned and/or WANTED c-sections and it didn't go as smoothly as they wanted. A lot of pain, even a few months after. I don't know if this is normal, but I noticed the people I know wanted, or were able, to have natural lost the weight. Where as those who had c-sections didn't loose it. Not saying that's a reason to pick natural but just saying. I think it can effect your body more than people think.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2010

I've had both a c- and a VBAC (regular birth 4 years after the c). The c was after many hours of trying 'naturally'...son got stuck (9 pound baby!) so they went with the c. My current doctor says they tend not to do VBACs any more- higher risk. I was back in my regular sized jeans in 3 weeks with both deliveries.
    It's great to go to the training for natural delivery so you know what to expect. Once labor begins, things can change your mindset...like most things, labor and delivery are personal experiences. Having a doctor in whom you trust is key.

27. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Mar 15, 2010

I have one with a epi and one natural. If I were to have another, which I'm not, I would go natural. My recovery time was much faster that way.