Native Americans-Best resources and ideas?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jem, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 12, 2013

We're knee deep in Native Americans, but I want to get outside of the text book.

What are your favorite units? One of mine is using legends to identify tribes based on the symbolism and geographical clues given. You can check it out here: http://www.oakland.k12.mi.us/scope/fifth_lessons/index.html

We're starting book clubs on Friday. What are your favorite novels to use? What angles to do you take with the books? How do you connect them back to the non-fiction textbook information? Has anyone developed common core resources for them?

Any other fantastic resources you would recommend?

I'll add mine as I develop them.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2013

Research Navajo Code Talkers....amazing.:love:

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 15, 2013

Thanks, czacza!! I have the Code Talkers book on my novel wish list for next year, but I could still do a mini-unit on this year. Great idea!

5. Appmaker28

Appmaker28 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013

I actually just attended a large Pow-Wow in Chicago last weekend. There were a lot of great organizations there. You can research and see if you have any Native American organizations by you. I'm sure they have a lot of resources for classrooms.

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Sep 20, 2013

I agree with Appmaker28. Real living people of native descent are your best source if you don't want to accidentally portray native people as artifacts of the past. I encourage you to find a local elder to tell you stories, or children today who can address your students' questions.