Native American Unit Help!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Youngteacher226, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2007

Hello all,
    One of my first big Social Studies units are on Native Americans and the Settlers. I remember last year having such a hard time with teaching this and over this past school year, I've noticed that there aren't alot of resources available to purchase. I thought the best way to come up with some fun and useful ideas for teaching this unit is to ask you all! So has anyone taught this unit and if so, what were some fun and interesting lessons you have done with your kids??? All ideas are welcomed! (I'm desperate!:( )

3. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 27, 2007

Well, I student taught in fifth grade--we used Webquests to "travel" through time and visit both sides of history. We also made dioramas (students' choice--they worked with partners) depicting something unique, unusual, or just interesting about either an early explorer or a Native American tribe. I also went to the library and got a NA lullaby CD (it was the only thing available at the time!) and used it for background music while students worked on dioramas in the classroom. One fun activity that would be good also in second grade is, I told a NA folktale ("How Coyote Helped Decorate the Night") in my best dramatic version....we were sitting in a circle just as they might have done "back then." Afterward, I passed a story stick (a stick with a feather glued on it) and had the students retell the story. Lots of fun. I loved the unit (it was my first solo event), and it had lots of things for kids to do. Hope that helps get your thinking going!

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2007

In 3rd our focus with Native Americans was to look at how the region in which the tribe lived and how it determined thier food, clothing, shelter and way of life. You can do a huge unit on that.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

6. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

a particularly creative sixth grade teacher we had did some interesting lessons while they studied native americans... I remember he brought in a kayak and they went on a mock "whale hunt" on the playground. He also borrowed a cd I have with naitve inspired songs called "Thunderdrums" and while they were at a special, set up a "powwow" in the classroom... he pushed all the desks aside, turned off the lights, turned on the music, made a campfire with logs/yellow plastic wrap/and christmas lights with the thunderdrums. He greeted the returning students with a chiefs headdress on and they sat a circle around the fire where they had their lesson.