National Honor Society & Core Classes??

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by gdmckav, Aug 19, 2010.

1. gdmckav

gdmckav Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

I am looking for some feedback regarding how other schools run National Honor Society and in particular what courses, if any, are required to be taken by those students who are admitted into the organization.

Students at my school are required to take a certain amount of "core academic courses" (English, Math, Science, Social Studies) in order to maintain membership within the organization. I am wondering if other schools also require certain courses to be taken by NHS students. If so, what ones in particular? If not, why not?

3. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

Our students have to take those courses anyway, at least in junior year . . . technically senior year they are not required to take either math or science (and could not take history if they've already got 4 credits), as we only require 3 credits of each to graduate, but most of the honor society type kids take them anyway, either at a standard, AP or IB level.

We do require them to commit to peer tutoring for a certain number of hours a week, but I don't run that so I don't know how many exactly.

4. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Aug 22, 2010

Our NHS students must take the state required courses, be involved in peer tutoring, and participate in other community service projects. I don't believe there are any extra courses that are required. Many students only come 1/2 days during their senior year because they've accumulated enough credits to graduate. I know that they must maintain a certain gpa, and they must have teacher recommendations prior to joining.