National Dropout Prevention Conference

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Oct 26, 2018.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2018

Is anyone from this group attending next week's gathering in Columbus? I'll be there for part of the event (I'm tagging in and out with my principal and guidance director) and would love to meet up with any fellow AtoZ folks. The workshops on Project Based Learning and teaching students with PTSD in particular look promising.

Aces likes this.
  3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 26, 2018

I am not, however I am attending a conference on linking sports, music, and the arts with math and science. I'm actually quite excited about it. My admin wants me to go, said it'll help when I become an admin. (The guy is delusional if he thinks I'm actually going to get this job in December)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Oct 28, 2018

Could you maybe type up some tidbits you learned after you attend the event? I would be interested in hearing about the integration of sports, music, and the arts with math and science classes.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Oct 28, 2018

Sure! I'd be glad to.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Nov 12, 2018

I didn't attend but know some principals that went.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2018

It was fantastic! I brought back a lot of information on how to work with students who are not only reluctant learners, but who are dealing with trauma. Planning a particular workshop for my staff on how to maintain balance when dealing with secondary trauma (aka compassion fatigue).

8. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

Would you mind sharing some things you learned? Bulleted points of advice would suffice for me.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 12, 2018

I have notes on:
    • Culturally Responsive Practices to Promote Success for English Language Learners
    • Helping Unengaged Students Graduate
    • Building Teacher Resilience
    • Poetry Slams

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Nov 12, 2018

I'm also interested. Unfortunately most of my experience with dropout prevention is a big negative. It is my district's policy to keep kids in school at all costs. Where the diploma is the goal, not the learning. The required credits are reduced substantially and core courses are waived. If you can't pass a math class, that's okay. Just take Home Ec over and over and we'll substitute the CTE credit for the math requirement. Our attendance policy states that kids cannot miss more than X number of days. But if you miss 90% of the school year and are at risk for not graduating, we'll waive that rule too. Just as long as you don't miss more than 10 days in a row without a note, that is.

We play the numbers game here and it sucks for everyone except admin.