National Certification

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by 3kids, Jan 5, 2007.

1. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Jan 5, 2007

I have been wondering why there are not that many National Certified teachers. I know that getting all the information is time consuming but why are we not taking that next step? My understanding it is a big pay increase. Have I been told wrong? Does it have disadvantages? My sister is a teacher and she told me that no one wants to spend 3 years getting it all together. Instead she went and got a Master's and said that was good enough for her. How does everyone else feel?:confused:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 5, 2007

Each state has its own certification and licensing requirements. Each district sets its own payscale.

To be honest, I've never heard of National Certification. Then again, I'm kinda out of the loop on matters like that. I received Permanent Certification in 1984 and never looked back.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jan 6, 2007

Before I had my kids I considered pursuing National Board Certification. In my research, I found it would be A LOT of extra work, and since I was still working on my Masters, I decided it wasn't the right time. Also, my district offers no incentive to go for NBC, so I'm kind of waiting to see if that happens. My teaching style has changed so much over the past few years, that I think I'd be more likely to pass now than I was before.

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jan 6, 2007

I'm just too busy already. Once you get it, there is a pay raise here, but they also use you well when it comes to the required mentoring hours.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jan 6, 2007

Are you referring to NBC (National Board Certification)? If so, every state is different. In my state of TX there is no pay raise at all if you pass, they don't recognize it as a form of teacher certification. They also don't offer you one cent for the expense either, and it costs a LOT! In addition to the cost the NB process is very, very grueling- it will eat up your entire life for a year. If you visit the NB website you can view a chart listing all the states and what (if any) types of compensation and raises they offer to NB teachers. Some states offer teachers up to $7,000 per year for passing, unfortunately mine isn't one of them.

7. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jan 6, 2007

I've never felt a need to go through the process.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 6, 2007

No pay raise in my district. Time consuming and ex$pensive process. I'm not planning on leaving my district or state so it does not make me more marketable.

Just checked the official site: Plainfield and Perth Amboy are the only districts in the state (NJ) that offer any incentive for NBPTS: $1000 per year for life of certificate...

9. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jan 7, 2007

Here in my county in FL you get a $4,000 bonus and can earn up to another $4,000 by mentoring other NBC teachers (to-be). That's 8K a year. I'm doing it next year. I have to.

10. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

I am in Florida as well and my teachers are really pushing the issue to do it. I was told the same thing that you said but just wondered how that was possible. I mean, you have 8k waiting on you, why not. Florida teachers really don't get paid a lot, but when you have that chance, then it needs to be grabbed in my opinion. I know it is hard work, but if you are given something, you don't have respect for anything either. We get upset when our students don't work to go the distance and we as teachers are doing the same thing! Just my opinion!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 8, 2007

I can't say I've ever heard of it before.

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 8, 2007

NBC

I live in Florida too.
    Every teacher I've talked to has said that the pay incentive makes the process a lot more worthwhile.
    I've often wondered to myself whether or not I want to go for my masters or National Board Certification (i'm graduating this Spring with a BA in English).

First I need to get certified though. And also get a job. :eek:

13. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

I know what you mean. I am a career changer and trying to juggle enough as it is now between working full time and going to school full time. I do plan on trying to go on with the national certification but I just wondered why there are so few. I still need to get a job as well. Best of luck finding the perfect spot for you.

14. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 9, 2007

I am NBPT certified. I have been since 99. I will start the recertification process next year. In my state I get $5,000 a year in January in one lump sum. I do have to pay taxes on it, but it is nice. While it was a long process, but not three years, it was worth every minute. I learned so much about myself. I have grown as a teacher. I can say it is the best thing I ever did for myself and the money is just the icing on the cake.

15. 3kids

3kids Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

how long would you say it takes? How soon can one start the process. After the first year? Or does it really vary with states? I just don't understand why more people don't take this step. Where I am at, I was told that there are very few, like 1 in 200 and they get paid more a considerable amount more. Did you find it difficult to do?

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 9, 2007

In our state you can apply for a grant to have the start up fee of $2,500 paid for. You are required to pass in 1-3 years or you will have to pay the state back. They also give you $5,000 a year for the first 10 years after you pass if you keep your teaching liscense up to date. Right now I'm working on my Master's, and won't have the time or energy to begin NBC until maybe a year after that. You have to have taught for 3 consecutive years to be eligible to begin NBC.
    This might help you out.
    http://www.nbpts.org/UserFiles/File/51049_web.pdf

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 10, 2007

In Oklahoma you can apply for a scholarship...we lead in number of NBPTS in Oklahoma(I think 7th or so). It took me two years, but I know people who did it in one. It took about 20 to 30 hours a week during the months of Nov. to Jan. to work on it. More from Jan. till deadline -- less from portfolio deadline until assessment center. You take assessment center in the summer.

I learned so much about myself. I can now support what I believe and stand behind it. If you have a child that has a lot of afterschool activities that you would not want to miss, or have a family member ill...I would say wait. BUT like most things in life, there really is never the perfect time.

18. FSUalum

FSUalum Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

I'm also in Florida and am seriously considering doing this next year.

Could I get it done within a year, or will it take longer than that?

What is the average?