National Boards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jun 22, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 22, 2012

Just wanted a general consensus...

Did you pass or fail on your first attempt?

If you failed on your first attempt, did you eventually pass?

I consider myself smart, and a good teacher. However, I know lots of good teachers who did not pass.

$2,500 is a lot of money for me. The state of NC no longer pays for it.

Thanks in advance.

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 22, 2012

Only 20% of NBC teachers pass their first year, but you do get three years to do it.

I'm looking into it myself in a few years when I have the time.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2012

For states or districts that do not provide a pay increase for NBC, what is the reasoning behind doing it?

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 22, 2012

From people I've spoken to who are board certified, it takes you to a whole new level in professional skills. You think differently about everything you've done in the past, and you essentially become a new teacher that is more student driven than ever before.

I'm motivated to do it because if I can become a better teacher through board certification, then the ones who benefit are my kids. :)

6. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 22, 2012

The state increases teacher pay by 12% for NBC. However, they do not help with the $2,500 fee.:love:

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2012

EC-Not all states benefit from extra pay though, I have looked into that before.
    JW- I guess that does mean something to some people.

8. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Jun 22, 2012

I passed the first time, but by the skin of my teeth. Lesson learned: be sure to answer every question, be sure to include the standards within your answers. Read EVERY thing that they give you and take it seriously!

I know of 2 teachers that did not pass the first time around. One who blew off most of the requirements because he thought he was a good teacher (and he was) and that was all that was needed, the other who wasn't careful with video requirements.

That being said, I also renewed my certification last year. Why? Well, Wisconsin, believe it or not, still pays a yearly stipend ($2500) plus, since I've been around a while and hover at the top of the pay scale, I thought it would be a bit more troublesome for a district to tell me I wasn't highly qualified.:whistle:

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2012

What is the percentage of teachers that pass within the 3 years? Do you have to pay the application fee each time?

I had a friend fail the first time because she had the wrong font. It was like instead of Arial she had Arial New or something like that.

10. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jun 22, 2012

I passed the first time, also by the skin of my teeth. My state and district both offer yearly stipend upon passing, and both offered financial support. I only paid somewhere between $500 and $600 to go through the process. Some states make it easier to transfer your certification if you have your NB certification, too.

I have to admit, I had heard this before I got certified. Having gone through the process, I think it is a huge exaggeration. The main way I felt different afterwards was that my wallet was heavier. ;) Granted, I had just completed a master's, and I felt that I learned a lot and grew a lot there (my undergrad was not education). For me, the NB process just validated for me that I was following best practices as much as possible.

Honestly, after I sent my box in and before I got my scores back, I felt a bit resentful of the process. You do all of this hard work, and then when you put it together, there are so many ways to put your work together in the box incorrectly and have it be inadmissible. I was afraid that having a paper clip or a label in the wrong place would undo all of my work. :(

11. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2012

I am a EC-GEN NB Candidate for the 2011-2012 cycle and won't get scores until the late fall, but wanted to share my experience.

People kept asking how I felt I did after both the portfolio deadline and my assessment center exams. In both situations I had the same answer..."I'm either going to get a letter saying I should be teacher of the year and a model to all other teachers on the Planet Earth OR a letter saying I have no business instructing children and should seek an new career path." LOL

Seriously...I could go either way on it. It's so hard to tell how you did. I would feel over confident one day and completely insecure the next.

I will say that it has been the best professional experience I have ever had. I feel that I have grown in ways I didn't know I needed to and have reflected like never before. It certainly has changed the way I teach for the better.

I really wouldn't be disappointed to need a 2nd year. It's a ton of work, but very rewarding.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012

I did not pass last year. I had a disaster beyond belief at the testing center and was really infuriated with how it was handled. When I got my scores back I did not pass by a small percentage. I considered not doing it and not disrepecting anyone who has done it, but I felt like the process did not improve my teaching much and parts of it wanted me to teach in a way that was developmentally inappropriate for my students. I decided to redo one entry and if I pass or don't this round "it is what it is." I felt very burned by how I was treated at the testing center and anyone who has asked me about it I told them I do not really reccommend it. I do however reccommend my grad school, which provided much more deep thought and changes to my teaching.

My state will pay most of the initial fee. They used to offer a stipend, but it is being phased out. We are in a contract negotiation, so not sure if they will pay for it in my district next year.

13. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012

You have to pay $350 for EVERY entry you choose to retake. Which is for me why I chose to do one entry over. My district was willing to pay $175.

14. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Jun 22, 2012

I missed by 15 points. I did not have the $350 bucks to blow at the time that I could have retaken it.

My thoughts:

*It is more hype than help in general.

*You receive NO DIRECTIVE FEEDBACK which is ridiculous given the emphasis that we are supposed to use it ourselves in teaching our classes all the time.

*I think that the people who run security at the testing center where I tested should replace the TSA- yeesh! I felt as though I was entering a high security military complex.

*The expectations and requirements were in some places either very unclear, or contradictory.

*This year my 16 year old daughter had an AP World History teacher who was easily the worst teacher I have ever encountered in this subject (I teach World Civ 1 and 2 at the college level as an adjunct instructor) and she is NB certified!

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

I am certified and I recertified a few years ago. No, I did not pass the first time. I missed it by 11 points. I redid one entry and scored a perfect score on it and passed. When I recertified I passed the first time.

I did it for me. I had read a magazine article about one of the first teachers that did it. She stated after finishing she felt like "one of the best of the bests." I wanted to feel that way. So I went through the process. My state did offer a scholarship and they did give a pay raise for the duration of the certification; but I was saving to do it on my own when they started it. I was one of the first in my state and I am proud to have done it. It gave me a voice.

I read entries for others and I have even graded them at least six times.

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2012

I certified on my first attempt.

My district paid most of the fee and also pays us a small stipend. We get nothing from the state.

I did it for the professional development. I had gotten my Master's a few years earlier and was looking for a new professional challenge. I don't think it changed my teaching very much. I've always been very reflective.

It did open up a few opportunities within my district for me.

I know several teachers who have attempted it. A few certified the first time. Most did not. Some certified the 2nd year. Some tried again and didn't certify. Some didn't bother to try again. Most who didn't certify ended up pretty bitter about the whole experience.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

I'm not at all interested simply because of the number of times I hear things like what silver and another member said regarding fonts and putting the paperclip in just the right position...and because I find it absurd that specific feedback isn't provided when the teacher applying would be failed if he or she neglected to provide meaningful feedback to students.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

I graded them...paper clips do NOT impact your score...the only way the font does is if you use smaller and then we are not allow to read it all. And since the reflective part is at the end and it is what is not allowed to be read, it can hurt your score.

The scorers are trained to give the candidate every benefit of doubt. We are trained heavily before we are ever allowed to score...even if it is your sixth time to score.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2012

I am sure you are trained well. It's just not something I'm interested in based on other's experiences. Just too many crummy stories.

I don't intend to downplay the program or those who are certified. For those who grew in the process, well that's worth it all. :)

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jun 23, 2012

Do you guys ever think it will become mandatory like it is in other professions?

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2012

I'm a candidate this year. I've also heard only 20% pass the first year, so I'm not sure if I will. I did it because my husband is in the military. Being National Board certified will make it easier for me to transfer my certification to most states. The military actually paid for everything except the $65 application fee, which is a big reason why I decided to try. I haven't taught very long, so that made me feel kind of insecure about it while I was working on it.

Now I'm worried because my certification area is middle childhood generalist, and next year I'll be teaching elementary music. It will make it hard to redo the entries (if I don't pass) when I don't have a general ed class. I know my administration will be supportive though.

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 24, 2012

Farfromhome, relax. Enjoy the time you have before you get the results. And if you have to redo, I will read for you!

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2012

Thank you-that's such a nice offer! I just finished the assessment center on June 12th and now I'm trying to relax!