National Board

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Peregrin5, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 10, 2016

So, I mentioned earlier, that I was going for National Board. I'm seriously having second thoughts.

First off is the expense. I'm only applying for 2 out of the 4 components this year and it's going to cost me $1000, and I don't have any way to reimburse the expense.

Secondly, I've been trying to get support for months now from my districts "National Board Support Group". The people running it must have just entirely dropped the ball this year. I was told there would be meetings in September and I would be informed of them. No information was delivered. I re-contacted, and told that the person running the support group was just too busy to organize any meetings. I have heard nothing since. I was informed of one support meeting online run by the National Board themselves, but I was only informed the day of, and that it was smack dab in the middle of the day, so by the time I read it, I was unable to do anything about it (not that I would have anyway, since it was during teaching time).

I've been working away using the resources I could find (apparently, they don't send you a box anymore, so you have to search their poorly designed website for the correct 47-page long instruction manuals for each component) and have made good progress, but I have no idea if I'm making good progress in the right directions. I'm starting to question whether this is all worth it. I will receive a $1000 dollar bonus, but it will take me two years (plus when taxes are taken out) to make back the money I spent on this.

I'm wondering what you guys think. Is it worth it? Should I keep going or just opt out? The deadline for payment is coming up, and I haven't paid yet, so I could still make it out of this without wasting my money.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2016

Other than being a resume builder and great personal achievement, is there any bonus/recompense you'd get from this? In my district we get salary bumps for pre-approved graduate classes but there is nothing offered for National Board certification, nor does my state offer any incentives. As a result, I don't know anyone who is NB certified, but I am and work with many colleagues who have their Masters plus additional grad credits for which we are rewarded according to or contract with higher salaries at each step on the scale.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 11, 2016

Unless this is a personal goal that you really feel strongly about, I don't think it's worth it. There are a couple of teachers at my school that are NB certified. They said the process did improve their teaching, but it sounds like a ton of work! They also get a small bonus from the district, but you can easily get just as big (or bigger) bonuses from taking grad classes. For them it was just something that they really wanted to do. Not to sound snarky, but even though it is a personal accomplishment, IME anyway it's not something that's going to earn you more respect or a leadership role or anything like that at school. No one really seems to care who has the NB certification and who doesn't.

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 11, 2016

We do get a $1300 a year bump in pay raise, which is the same as what you'd get for a Masters. I think comparatively, this is much cheaper than a Masters. But like I said, I will be $2000 in the hole afterwards.

Also, rather than gaining me more respect within my school, I was hoping it would give me a leg up, if I ever decide to leave my school or leave teaching and come back to it later in life. Possibly also to give me an extra star on my resume if I decided to tutor on the side.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2016

$1,300 per year isn't really a whole ton of money. In my district I think we get 5%, which is better than a kick in the pants, I suppose, but still not great.

For that amount of money, I don't think it's worthwhile to push yourself into it right now. Wait a while, get some experience in the classroom under your belt, save some money so that the upfront investment won't hurt as much, and make connections with others who can help you once you start.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2016

I did a componant last year and just got my passing, but low, score. I was so surprised at my score because I thought I hit every mark. I'm not up to continuing at this time because of the cost and time demands. I might consider finishing the final 3 componants next year BUT I would not do it not without a support group. It is too expensive to risk throwing down a lot of money and time without having experienced supporters as coaches.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 11, 2016

At my new school, they are actually paying me to do National Board this year, and are providing me with a fantastic support group though. My main hang-up was that this year feels like my first year again, and I'm working with a completely different population and I don't really feel like National Board material.

I just got my scores, and I did 2 components. I was happy to see that I did really well on Component 1, and but sad that I did pretty poorly (but passing) on my Component 2. I was thinking about quitting but apparently Component 1 is worth 40% of the score while Component 2 is only worth about 15% of the score, which is giving me hope! With my support group, I feel like I could do a 3.0 at least on my next two components, which I think would be a strong passing score unless they make the passing score much higher next year (they don't know what score it will take to be certified until Dec 2017).

I feel like I could do much better having gone through some of the process now (alone!), and having a better idea of what they're expecting with my next two components. I think I'm going to go for it. Even though I'm leaving teaching next year, having a National Board Certification under my belt would make me feel like I put my all into my teaching and had gotten fairly good at it. And I believe it would help me if I ever returned to teaching or with my forays into private tutoring and the after school program I'm thinking of starting.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 11, 2016

Anyone else get any NB scores yesterday?