National Board Teacher Cert?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Feb 23, 2019

I was wondering if anyone on here has gone through the NBPTS journey. Is it worth it? I am gathering information and am thinking about beginning. Is it worth it? (I see that it involves a lot.)
    (Yes, I have been teaching long enough where I do qualify to do this, by the way.)
    Any advise or insight would be great! (Currently, there are no "teacher support groups" in my area for people going through this since it's not as popular here as it is in other states / regions of the country. I will be joining a virtual one in another state if I decide to go through with this.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  3. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Feb 23, 2019

the "perks" are different depending on state, maybe district. What will you get for it and how long is it good for, and how many extra hours must you put in each year as well? These are all part of the equation. I decided against it once upon a time and since then have lost that extra mmmph I had back then. If I had done it then, yay, but now? not for me. If you are thinking of moving schools and or districts I say that it might (Probably) give you a leg up when job hunting. If staying put, it would only be for the in depth classes and salary perks. (which might be very worth it) Just my 2 cents.

Pisces likes this.
  4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 23, 2019

I have many board certified colleagues and not a single one say it's worth it. Nobody is renewing. Here, there used to be financial aid to pay for certification and a yearly bonus for the achievement. These benefits have all been stripped away. The certification does not seem to carry the weight it once did. When I investigated for myself, it seemed very expensive and cumbersome to complete.

futuremathsprof and Pisces like this.
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 23, 2019

It is a lot of work and if there wasn't a significant raise involved, I wouldn't have ever considered trying.

Pisces likes this.
  6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 23, 2019

All of our math teachers are working on it. One earned hers recently. We have four in the district, I believe. They have a support group. I’m too close to retirement to make it worth my time, but I’d consider it if I were younger.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 24, 2019

How much of a raise are we talking?

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Feb 24, 2019

Definitely doesn't seem to be worth it, at least in most states. Seems like a lot of work, plus you have to pay almost $2000, just to say your board certified.

Looking at their interactive map, some states have more of a financial incentive to do it.

https://www.nbpts.org/in-your-state/

Not many in my state of NJ, but Washington and Carolinas seem to have very many cerrtified teachers, as a result of the financial incenvitves that seem available there. Upon doing the search, my school only has one certified teacher. He said he just did it for personal development.

futuremathsprof and Pisces like this.
  9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Feb 24, 2019

I’m in the Australian system and I’ve done the equivalent of being a Nationally Certified Teacher. It was a blood sweat and tears process of getting certified but it was rewarding. I would say that I would go through the process again because I’ve come out of it a better teacher.

Pisces likes this.
  10. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Feb 24, 2019

Thanks. I work at a private school and have no financial incentive in terms of salary raise. (They did say they'd help me pay for the components though.) According to the NBPTS website, in my area of science (adolescent), the last teacher to become certified was in 2010. :eek: There aren't any support groups and this isn't big in Georgia. I was thinking of doing it for the personal development and for future opportunities (i.e. would it make me more marketable if I wanted to be a STEM director or something like that?)

Also, it seems like I need to join the Georgia Association of Educators if I want to ask about a starting support group. I'm not a member since I am not a public school teacher.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  11. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

Feb 24, 2019

I am in Canada, but when I looked at it to me it seemed like it could be valuable for professional growth. I was in a support role when I heard about it so I don't see myself doing it, but to me it's similar to doing an MEd (which I did) - something I'd do for professional growth rather than financial payoff. (I'm not saying that those where it is financially beneficial shouldn't do it for that reason - just that this wasn't where my brain went).

mathmagic and Pisces like this.
  12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Feb 24, 2019

It's not financially worth it in most states. In some states you can get a significant raise and I would definitely consider it there. In my state, you currently get a $1600 stipend per year for being certified, BUT it costs about $2,000 to do the process in the first place. I got a similar raise for taking some really easy graduate credits, and that moved me over on the salary schedule for forever, not just 5 years (and they could choose to lower or take away that stipend in any year). It also seems like a TON of work and stress. I've only worked with one teacher who was certified, and although she wasn't a bad teacher, IMO it's not like she was better than anyone else in the building, so I'm not sure I would say it makes that big of a difference as far as personal growth either. It didn't seem to be that prestigious as most people didn't know what it was. I've only become more familiar from another teacher board I'm on where people frequently post about it.

Pisces likes this.
  13. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Feb 24, 2019

only do it if you are able to get the fees paid by your state or district, never pay out of your own pocket.

It won't hurt to get certified but don't sweat it if there are no financial incentives or minimal incentives in the end.

Pisces likes this.
  14. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Feb 28, 2019

Where can I find information such as whether or not more teachers or less teachers are going through the process? I was curious as to whether there has been an increase or decrease in the number of teachers pursuing this. Where is this information available?

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 28, 2019

I've looked into it and it's not worth it in my state financially. Otherwise I'd be happy to complete it.

Pisces likes this.
  16. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Feb 28, 2019

I had a member of my team try for it. She quit after a few months. She said that the certification is only good for a few years then you have to go through the process again. She elected instead to get an endorsement on her license stating that those are good forever, not just a few years.

Pisces, futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  17. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Feb 28, 2019

That's a good way of looking at it.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  18. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Companion

Mar 1, 2019

I know 1, and I'm not sure if it helped him or not. He's a bit of an a***hole to begin with and he seems to use it as a way to show he's better than others. He's one of the robotics team leaders, and he bullies the kids terribly and the parents. I've never been in his classroom personally, but I never hear anything positive from his students, so not sure if it helped him. I have considered it, but the cost is prohibitive = $2,000, and frankly, I don't have the time. I've also heard that a lot of what is being graded is how your portfolio is put together, and how you write up your feedback, not what is in it. I've seen samples of write ups, and the only difference between a failing and passing writeup was the structure of the writeup. The content was exactly the same. Passing or failing seems to come down to word choice. Also, the tested portion seems very arbitrary. I saw an internet post from a historian/history teacher who had a test question on origins of the Okie Movement. He had written a book on the subject, but failed the tested component. http://www.livingindialogue.com/a-historian-reflects-on-failing-at-national-board-certification/
    My administration already makes me do tons of unnecessarily complicated things, I don't need one more. And frankly, i think I'm a pretty good teacher, and don't need some arbitrary outside agency to confirm that. My parents and students seem to think so too, and that's enough for.

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  19. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 2, 2019

Wow, @tchr4vr , thanks for the link to the history teacher / historian's blog.
    Also, it came to my attention that Pearson sells the video entries that teachers make? One of the comments provided a link to ATLAS which is the library of teacher videos (submissions). Hmm....

20. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 3, 2019

I'm in the midst of trying for certification now. Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

Almost everyone I personally know that has completed the process says it was the best professional development they've ever done. They've come out far better teachers and learned so much more about their craft. I just don't feel that way. I am collecting so much data about my students that I simply would not collect otherwise. It is great to know about your students, but I cannot keep up this amount of work every year for the rest of my career. So that part feels like I'm jumping through hoops. I haven't learned anything from the process. Which is fine for me. I've always felt like the certification was more about me proving my worth than it was about professional development. And it seems like I was correct.

Which leads to the history teacher mentioned above and other comments - the process is about you being able to show that you consistently meet NB standards in your classes and that you can prove that you do so. The history teacher said that his videos showed great teaching. You can't really show great teaching in a 15 minute segment. You know how people get upset that admin watch for a few minutes and then rate your worth on that small snippet? Can't really be done. So while that history teacher may really know his stuff and may really perform well in front of his students/camera, unless he backed up ALL of his pedagogical choices that he made before, during and after that video, he won't score well. His may have been an incredibly engaging lecture but if he didn't explain why John was sitting alone on one side or why he chose some kids to have red papers while others had blue, he's not going to get the points. You have to prove to the reader why you do what you do in your class.

So HOW you write up your components is more important than what you actually record on video or submit as examples. It really is the only way that the scorers will know what is really going on in the classroom.

Wish me luck!

Pisces and otterpop like this.
  21. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 4, 2019

It used to be a big deal in my district, but they reduced the extra pay, and it is no longer financially worth it. Most are letting their certificates expire.

Pisces likes this.
  22. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Mar 5, 2019

I, personally, won't be going for mine. My district doesn't acknowledge NBCT at all and there is absolutely no incentive to doing it. I got my masters, which helped me on the salary schedule, but NBCT isn't in our contract anywhere.

Pisces and futuremathsprof like this.
  23. Pisces

Pisces Rookie

Mar 7, 2019

I have decided not to pursue it (at this time, anyway). Instead, I will partake in professional development opportunities that pique my interest. Thank you everyone for your input.