National Board Certified?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by katydid205, Aug 20, 2007.

1. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I am about to start on the National Board Certification and was wondering if anyone else did and could share some advice?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

I'm curious to see the responses to this one. I'm thinking about doing it myself, but I haven't looked into it too much.

4. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I have heard from multiple people in my area who did it an they said it was grueling and hard and if they had to do it over again they would have gotten their master's instead. They said there were so many reflections for everything they did and kind of intense. It scared me off! I got my master's instead!

5. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

national boards

I already have my master's, but don't want to get my PhD. I've talked to teachers in my school b/c 9 teachers have it where i teach. they said it's brutal, but worth it!

6. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

What did they say made it worthwhile? I am considering it too, but the year can be challenging enough sometimes without volunteering for more. I saw somewhere that some schools MAY now give graduate credit for national boards. That would be a plus.

7. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

Our district gives a $1500 stipend to anyone who has it. But, what is the point? It goes away after five years anyway.

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

This is funny because I was just looking into that earlier this evening.

9. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I'm also considering it, because it's one of the ways to get a continuing license in Oregon. I already have my Masters, which is required anyways.

10. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Aug 22, 2007

It's a $5,000 stipend per year from the state for 10 years. Then you can reapply to reinstate it for another 10 years. It's definitely worth it.
    What made it worth it to the teachers i work with is all that extra cash. My district pays for you to do it and then an extra $5,000 a year comes to you from the state. That has to be worth the hardwork.

11. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I have National Board Certification in addition to my Master's. One plus about it in my state is definitely the money. It was a 12% pay increase from the state, which continues until your certification ends, you leave the classroom, or until you retire if you decide to renew your certification.

You receive certification for 10 years. During the last couple of years, you can submit entries for renewal. If you are renewed, you get it for another length of time. I have 7 years left on mine, and I am not planning on renewing. I have just started graduate school again to add-on School Administration to my Elementary Master's. When I leave my classroom for an administrative position, I will lose the money that I am receiving each year.

Going through the process is grueling. I will say that I learned more about myself, my students, and my curriculum than I ever have from undergraduate or graduate classes. The process makes you take your teaching and students to a higher level of thinking. For example, when I first started teaching, I did a lot of "cute" stuff with my kids. Now, we still do some of those things, but I add some sort of task to help bring it up a level to improve higher-level thinking skills and any other subject area skill that the lesson covers.

You have to be VERY organized. You cannot wait until the last minute to work on any of the sections. One benefit that you have now that earlier teachers didn't have is that everything is online. If you decide to wait till next year to apply and send in your entries, you can begin getting orgazied now. You can-

1- Print off the background information and directions. I kept this in a 2-inch binder. Let parents know about this.

2- Print off the explanations and directions for the 4 entries. I had the 4 entry directions and my drafts in a large binder.

3- Print off the information and samples for the assessment center. I also kept this in a separate 2-inch binder. Start outlining what you need to study for each area of study. Study one area at a time.

If you go ahead and become familiar with it, it will be okay if you apply later.

Find out if there are any support sessions/groups you can go to.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. I'm blank right now and trying to not fall alseep!

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I thought it was good for 10 years...and you didn't have to recertify during that time.

13. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I think the stipend is different in different states. Some have none. I think ours is something like 2K, then you can get that amount again if you mentor other teachers.

14. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

Once you begin the actual process (apply and send in your money) do you have to complete everything that same year? Looking for a support group is a GREAT idea...maybe there would even be one online...maybe even here!

15. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 22, 2007

WOW! I'm so jealous of the bonuses you get in other states! Oregon seems to be behind in that area... no state loan forgivemess, no bonuses. :( At least not that I know of. Of course I could be wrong.

16. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Does it really??? That totally sucks if that is true. These teachers went through a grueling process to get it. It totally would not be worth it to me if it goes away in 5 years. How can they do that?:woot:

17. SweetAllie78

SweetAllie78 Rookie

Nov 25, 2007

I am also curious about this. What do you have to do? What is involved (how much work, what type of work, length of work, etc).

18. katydid205

katydid205 Companion

Nov 25, 2007

Here in Alabama (and i know IL and MO) you are certified for 10 years and get 5K each year. After 10 years you have to do minimal work to renew the certifiate and then you can get the stipend for another 10 years. It's worth it to me. I'm working on mine now. Each year everything is due on March 31st. Then you take a test before June 15th ( i think it's the 15th). So if you paid now, you would turn everything in by March 31st. There are a lot of teachers that just start it now.

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 4, 2007

National boards are 10 years, and it is not minimal work, just not as much to recertify. I am starting recertification. In Oklahoma, if you pass the state will pay the fee for certification(not recertification) and then give you $5000 a year in one chunk in Jan.

20. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 4, 2007

Also I think that it was the best thing I could do professionally. I learned so much about myself. I have also had doors opened to me because of it. I have helped write the state teaching test, I serve on committees, and I have conducted workshops.

21. SweetAllie78

SweetAllie78 Rookie

Dec 4, 2007

That sounds great. I think it would be a good move for me. But what I really want to know is What is invloved? To clarify, do I need to do assignments? Do I create a portfolio?Are there classes? Mentoring?
    In other words, I have NO IDEA what you have to actually DO to get it after you have registered/signed up and paid. If anyone can tell me what all they had to do in order to get it, as well as how long it takes I would very much appreciate it.
    Thanks for all the answers. It sounds like it is worth the effort and time, I would just like to know how much effort and what kind of time. I searched the website for Nat. board cert, but didn't find the answers to my questions.

22. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 4, 2007

I am curious as well.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 4, 2007

Go to the NBPTS website, they will let you download a description. It is intense. I spent about 400 hours on it my first year from Nov. to Feb. plus about 200 studying for the assessment center.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 4, 2007

The Certification Process
    Once you apply for National Board Certification and submit all eligibility forms, it may take up to three years to complete the certification process. Review a snapshot of the process and timeline in the
    2007-2008 Assessment Calendar (PDF - 243kb).

Demonstrate Your Teaching Practice
    Portfolio Entries

You will be required to submit four portfolio entries. Three are classroom based, where video recordings and examples of student work serve as supporting documentation. A fourth entry relates to your accomplishments outside of the classroom – with families, the community or colleagues – and how they impact student learning.

Assessment Center Exercises

You must also demonstrate content knowledge in response to six exercises developed for your chosen certificate area. You will have up to 30 minutes to complete each exercise. Assessments are administered at over 300 computer-based testing centers across the United States.

More information about Portfolio Entries and the Assessment Center is available in For Candidates.

Scoring
    The National Board Certification evaluation process is designed to assess evidence of accomplished teaching or school counseling practices that are based on the NBPTS standards. Once you have submitted your portfolio entries and assessment center exercises, your complete work will be scored by a minimum of 12 teachers who have successfully completed intensive training and have been qualified for scoring based on their understanding of NBPTS standards and guidelines.

Subscribe to our newsletter
    NBPTS NewsLink.

View the current edition

Eligibility & Policies

Eligibility
    To seek National Board Certification you must meet the following requirements prior to applying:

Hold a bachelor’s degree
    Have completed three full years of teaching/counseling experience
    Possess a valid state teaching/counseling license for that period of time, or, if teaching where a license is not required, have taught in schools recognized and approved to operate by the state
    Before applying, please carefully review all eligibility requirements outlined in the Guide to National Board Certification (PDF - 1.2mb) and the Eligibility Verification Packet. (PDF - 170kb) You will be required to submit written verification that you satisfy these requirements with your application.
    What is the Portfolio?
    Your portfolio of classroom practice consists of four entries:

One classroom-based entry with accompanying student work
    Two classroom-based entries that require video recordings of interactions between you and your students
    One documented accomplishments entry that provides evidence of your accomplishments outside of the classroom and how that work impacts student learning
    Each entry requires some direct evidence of teaching or school counseling as well as a commentary describing, analyzing, and reflecting on this evidence.

http://www.nbpts.org/for_candidates/the_portfolio
    you can go here and download what you want to know for your area.

25. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 4, 2007

Thanks! I will check out the website.