National Board Certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jenejoy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Jul 11, 2008

Has anyone attempted this on here. I've heard that it is a huge amount of work and I 've been studying the website but I'd like to talk to someone with first hand experience. Reason is we are being offered it at 50% off the fees and a $20,000 incentive award. (Hard to turn your head to that!) Anyways any information I could get from someone who has gone through it would be great! :up:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 23, 2008

I'm currently thinking about it. I'm reading about the standards & expectations before I talk to my principal.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 23, 2008

I am and I have graded for over 7 years also.

5. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

Tennessee doesn't have any NBC incentives so I have never seriously thought about it.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

I almost did it this year. Many districts offer an incentive if you're national board certified. You may want to check before you do it. Someone shared it's like getting your doctorate in a year's time. Very intense. They also said it's important to have someone you're familiar with do it with you because you can review one another's materials for submission.

7. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

2 of my team members did it last school year. they are waiting for the results, which I think they don't get unitl November. It was a lot of work for them, but at least they had each other to turn to, plus about 6 other teachers in our building that had done it.

8. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I'm doing it this year....I'm scared

9. 2dream2teach

2dream2teach New Member

Jul 23, 2008

All of the education professors I have ever talked with about it strongly recommend it. Doctors can be nationally board certified, why shouldn't we?

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

I'm at a charter school, so we don't have incentives either. But I'm still thinking about it.

11. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I thought about signing up to review portfolios to see what was required, but it was a long way to drive every day and decided against it for this year.

I'd like to know more details about incentives. A huge percentage of teachers were NBC at my son's elementary school. No one is at my school, but I keep thinking about it.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2008

Why not do it? Well, if you are firmly settled in a district with no intentions of moving or changing jobs, the costs and time demands are high with no payoff in many districts. I'm all for professional development- this one has no benefit though to many employed teachers. Doctors on the other hand put it in their advertising that they are NB certified, charge more because of it and it impresses their clients. I don't advertise, can't charge any more (my contract is negotiated and there's no state or district $$ for NB cert), and truthfully what impresses my clients (the board, the kids, the parents) is what I deliver in the classroom- :2cents:

For $20,000 though, I'd consider it...How's that paid? What is it in real $$ after the taxes are taken out? strange though that Calif is offering $20,000 incentives to be NB certified when they had big budget cuts this year...seems to me a few of those incentive payments would equal one really great teacher's salary while NB cert is just a piece of paper that says you did a lot of work to prove you're a really great teacher...weird...

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

1st- yes, I do get a bonus each year and my state paid for the fee once I passed.
    2nd-I was going to do it without those items in the 1---Why? Just because. The first time I heard about this program was in a vocational education magazine. The first vocational teacher in Colorado kept a journal of her progress and the magazine printed part of it. In the journal after she had finished everything and was waiting for her results, she stated that "Pass or fail, I now know that I am one of the best of the best." That was powerful for me and I wanted to know if I was one of the best of the best. I started down this road without the money from my state or without the promise of a raise. Luckily for me within six months of reading this article and sharing it with my principal, my state offered the chance to do this.

3rd- Pass or fail, I learned I was the best of the best. I am a great teacher. I didn't need National Boards for that, but it was nice to earn it. I am the only teacher at my school with it. I worked hard and learned so much about myself. I changed my way of teaching. I learned to question others beliefs and theories. And I learned to defend my own beliefs and theories. I received more from this process than any workshop (and in my 17 years, I have attended a lot of local, state, and national workshops with a lot of big names). I will begin phase two this year as I start recertifying. And I am sure that I will start questioning more of my classroom procedures.
    :2cents:

14. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

True some schools reimburse you for the program after sucessfuly completion and give you some sort of raise or bonus. I can totally understand that. My friend did it for that reason. But honestly, while I would love to be NBC I'm not going to pay $20,000 on my $30,000 salary to prove to myself that I am the best of the best without receiving some sort of raise or bonus. That's just not practical for me or fair to my family. I think it's great that some of you have that option and can receive the certification and the perks. Maybe someday TN will change it's policy on National Board Certification.

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

The last time I checked here in Ohio National Board Certification was only $2,000 for the actual process and then all expenses related to it as you go throughout the year.

I've always wanted to do it, not for the pay incentive (since there is none in my school) but for the chance to prove to mysel that I can do it and to show the rest of the world what I already know....that I'm a **** good teacher. :)

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

Ours is about that price currently. I want to do it now before everyone has to do it eventually. Maybe next year. I think I'll start looking at the application so I am prepared for the spring process.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 25, 2008

This is really interesting for me, I didn't know anything about it. Houston doesn't offer any kind of incentive, which actually surprises me because they are one of the largest districts in the country; now if I wanted to move to Austin-they pay $2,000 more a year.

Mable - do you really think everyone will have to do it eventually? That would be a huge profit for them.

Definitely something to consider, thanks for posting about it.

18. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm not eligible to try right now but I might within the coming years. Maryland pays for the assessment fee ($2500) and gives an additional stipend each year for the life of the certificate.

19. ~~Pam~~

~~Pam~~ Companion

Jul 26, 2008

Here we pay all up front and if we receive the designation, the school board will reimburse all costs. I plan to do it, but I have one more year to teach before I can apply. I have taught four years, but two years were under an Intern certificate through alternate certification and that time does not count.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2008

I emailed my principal & his response was to talk to the assistant dean of a local university. So I'll see what he says!

21. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

Where in SoCal do you teach? This has to be an offer exclusive to your district. Mine doesn't offer any incentive to be NBC, and the bonus for your doctorate is a big ol' $750 a year. :rolleyes:

22. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 28, 2008

If you go the National board website, you can find out what kind of incentives are offered in your state.

23. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

Thanks, I did, and I could get the 50%, but the $2000 is for teaching in districts with an API of 5 or lower, and mine is higher than that. Too bad - my master's program is largely patterned after the NBC standards, so I've already done some of the activities.