National Board Certification???

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by edukidds, Mar 13, 2008.

1. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Mar 13, 2008

Hello. I am considering going for National Board Certification next year. I am not financially able to go for my Master's degree yet. I want to finish paying off my undergraduate student loans first before accruing more debt!

I presently have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education and I am in my fourth year of teaching. Is it really beneficial to be Nationally Board Certified? Should I wait until I can afford to get my Master's degree? If you have any input on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI: Due to my husband's job, we could very likely be moving across the country, which is another reason I am considering going for National Board Certification. :confused:

3. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 21, 2008

I don't have it yet, but I do know alot of people who do have it. They have said that it really was most beneficial for reflecting on their practice and generally becomming a better teacher. I have my masters and 29 credits above it. I am six credits away from the top of the pay scale, and believe it or not, I might just stop my salary stepping to do my national boards. I am interested in how it will help my teaching. Hope that helps!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 24, 2008

I am NBPTS certified. I think it is the best thing I ever did. I will recertify next year.

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Mar 24, 2008

Something to think about-some districts do NOT accept the National Boards, nor will you get compensated for it! Almost all will accept Master's.
    I am doing my Master's now, since my district does not accept National Boards and since I teach in a poverty school, I can get most of my master's reimbursed through the fed. govt.

6. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Mar 24, 2008

I have my National Boards and wouldn't trade anything for the experience. It was very hard, but well worth it. I feel like I teach on a whole different level now and my kids are benefiting from the more challenging work. :)

7. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 25, 2008

tarheelsak, that is what I have heard... I don't have kids right now, so I think that it would be a good time to do it.
    I have heard that you really have to put your nose to the grindstone for a while. I, personally, would love the challenge and chance to grow!