National Board Certification

Discussion in 'General Education' started by gr3teacher, Feb 16, 2014.

1. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

Has anyone gone through the National Board Certification process? Part of me wants to look into starting the process for the 2014-2015 school year. It will be my sixth year in the field, and my third year with third graders (unless I get moved to 4th or 5th grade, which is possible). I've heard the process does a lot to refine teaching technique... and I'm not going to lie, the extra $2500 a year would be nice, too. Has anybody gone through the process and has thoughts or advice on it?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

I admire anyone who takes on this rigorous process. I think it's a great goal and awesome achievement....in my district and state there is no remuneration for the expense of this process nor is there a bonus for achieving the certification.:( I know that's not the only reason why teachers take this on!)
    Good luck to you in your pursuit of this certification and recognition. Let us know how it goes!

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

I still have a long time to decide and think about it... the next cohort my district will have to begin the process won't start until the fall, and wouldn't actually finish until probably at least January 2016, but I definitely want to do something. I don't consider myself in a good spot to go for a doctorate, but that would be my ultimate goal, so this would kind of "prove" to myself that I could handle the doctoral process (and more to the point, would prove to myself that I'm a good enough teacher to at least consider the idea of training future teachers).

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I think it's awesome and you should go for it. It's one of my long-term goals to get mine as well in the future and I don't mean to hijack your thread but would anyone recommend going for it in your third or fourth year of teaching? I know the requirement is at least 3 years of teaching but I'm not sure if that means you can start your third year or have to wait until your fourth, but do you think it could be possible to complete for someone meeting only the minimum required years of teaching experience?

6. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Feb 16, 2014

I was thinking of doing it after my 3rd year. lol. . From what I heard, my district gives 15% raise for anyone that is national board certified. That plus a Master's is the only way for me to get anywhere near 6 figures. lol.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

I started the program seven or eight years ago. Circumstances in my life changed and I wasn't able to finish. It is a long, arduous, time consuming endeavor, but well worth the effort.

8. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

I just became National Board Certified this November in Middle Childhood Generalist. It took me two years to pass. Two others are certified at my school-it took one of them 3 years and the other passed in 1 year. It's a lot of work, especially because I started it while teaching 4th grade, and then had to find a way to keep going after I started teaching music. Something that really helped was going to support classes in my area. If you're a good writer it makes it a little easier. A lot of the process is writing and reflecting on your teaching. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask!

9. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

Oh, and I started it during my 5th year of teaching, and first year at my current school. It was a little more difficult being new at my school.

10. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Feb 16, 2014

Curious if being national board certified is based on your own schedule? I heard someone said it's possible in 6 months.

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

You complete it in your own time. But everyone's portfolio is due at the same time (it used to be due in March, but has now been extended to May). If you think you could do it in 6 months, then you could sign up late and try to finish it in time. I think it would make the most sense to sign up in the summer or earlier. Then you can use the whole school year to work on your portfolio. After submitting everything, it takes about 6 months to receive your results.

I wouldn't plan on trying to do it in 6 months. They call it a 3 year process because it takes many people 3 years to pass.

12. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Feb 18, 2014

I admire your thoughts for refining your teaching techniques. There are two major components of this process, one is portfolio of classroom and the other one is content knowledge assessment. There are other main sub components in portfolio of classroom. For more queries you can search on Google.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

In my school district, there is no stipend/monetary incentive for anyone who earns National Board Certification.

14. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Feb 18, 2014

Is the NBC "equal" to a degree? Is there an unofficial acknowledgement that one who earns the certification is able to get a doctorate?

I can think of two [practical] reasons why I'd rather get a degree: 1. guaranteed pay increase, and 2. it's permanent.

It would be really interesting to see a breakdown of NCB teachers by educational attainment and subject.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

I don't think there's anything saying that getting NCB is like a doctorate, but I see them relatively similarly... taking classes, a lot of writing, research, and introspection, etc. It's also free, as opposed to a doctorate. I do want to get a doctorate, but I'd have to do it while working. That's kind of my thinking; if I can handle THIS workload while working, I'd be more likely to have confidence in being able to handle the doctoral course load, especially if I did it bit by bit.

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 18, 2014

It's only free if your district pays for it. Otherwise it costs $2,500 plus fees the first time, the $1250 each time you need to renew every 10 years. Some districts do pay for it, though, so look into that.

17. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Feb 18, 2014

I think a big part of the process is not only refining your technique but also coming face to face with how you teach. Which can be scary but mostly awesome.

All of the bigger aspects of the process are things you say you find enjoyable :) If you are seriously considering it, I say go for it, especially if you feel like it will better you. Who knows, it could be great prep for doctorate work and they do share similarities.

...and $2500 is a sweet perk too.

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 18, 2014

In our district, the amount of raise is the same as for a Masters, although it's not as much as some of the people in this thread are quoting.

My plan is to get this, and then get a doctorate later as well.