Narowing down all of what you want to do

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by benemma, Jul 29, 2006.

1. benemma

benemma Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

I've spent so much time (wayyy too much time in fact) researching ideas of things to do in my class. How do you narrow stuff down? I can't possibly do everything I want to do.

(I also work at a private kindergarten with the curriculum very well laid out and so I have to do that stuff before throwing in other stuff)

3. map

map Companion

Jul 29, 2006

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been spending time each day copying/making/buying all summer long. Now I look back and my summer is gone. My resources are in several boxes that will take me a while to organize once I get to school to set up. I am very bad at buying and making then never using it in my classroom. I guess I am a supply addict. I keep joking with my friends that I need to call the Mission Organization show and have them help me with my classroom. Sorry I can't help you! Goodluck!

4. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

It will get easier!

The first few days you will not get much done. Have stuff on hand, but don't expect to do it. The first few days you will spend lots of time teaching them to line up. I even went to the lunchroom an hour early and practiced picking up their tray.

Do the things you have to do, then squeeze in themes. Themes let you use your "stuff". You can do 10-20 minute lessons and give the kids lots of information. Maybe stick with the same theme 5 to 10 days. Kindergarteners love factual information. They love to learn something new. You will have to try to fiqure out what the kids can handle and that will take a while.

Good luck, Brenda