Naptimes for 4 and 5 year olds

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 7, 2008

Do 4 and 5 year olds still take naps at your schools? Some of the parents at my school have been complaining and wanting us to eliminate naptimes and the director was wondering what to do. Just curious as to what some of your schedules are like. How long is your naptime if you still have one?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 7, 2008

All of our classes have naptime... if they aren't in K yet, they have to lay down (Our K-age is in a different room). It's from 12:45ish to 3. I know that PreK 2 (kids who just missed the K cutoff; most of their class is 5 already) tell them they have to lay quietly for the first chunk of time, then are allowed to get up and read a book or color quietly. Some of the kids in PreK 1 (4's, some may already be 5) often don't sleep, so they're allowed to bring quiet things to do on the cot.

But naptime is when our staff takes lunch breaks, so everybody naps. I also think it's a requirement that kids under 5 have naptime... although on days that numbers are REALLY low, we'll combine 3's and up and watch a movie instead, which is still downtime.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 7, 2008

Mine have to have it. They are falling over if they don't get it or bouncing off the walls nutty and about exhausted.

The ones that don't want to sleep don't have to sleep but they do have to lay there. Napping is not a requirement (but very nice) but laying there quietly while those needing to sleep get their nap is a requirement.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

You could make them optional- children who need them can lie down with quiet music while others participate in quiet activities (books, puzzles, playdo)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2008

I don't teach preschool, but have a 4 yr old at home. She doesn't take naps per se, because she doesn't go to sleep but she does go to her room to look at a book or watch a movie which normally lasts from 1-3 or 1-4.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 7, 2008

It was never optional for any school I ever worked at, including my own center. What I have found is that the parents who usually complain, do so because they think their child wont go to sleep by a certain time at night. Usually this is the case because mom and dad do not have a routine at home (not all, just from my experiences that has been the case). There ARE some kids who just outgrow them early, but I have not seen that to be a trend in my experiences. I have also found that these are also the children that NEED it most. Sorry, not my problem because the parents can't put their foot down. It was always madatory for the children to have a quiet time. They didn't have to "sleep" but they had to remain on their mats/cots/beds, similar to what was stated above. If they fell alseep, which happened 99% of the time in my childcare, that means they need their sleep. My families were also fully aware that this was part of the curriculum and daily schedule and my policies also stated that children are required to participate in all areas of the daily schedule, and that included nap.

You can assure the parents that they don't have to "sleep", but they are required to lay down for a rest period, and if they fall asleep then you have to allow them to sleep. That is the requirement for most states. Like smalltowngirl stated above, a quiet time, etc. at the very least. It wont hurt them. It's important for kids to have a period like that. I know I personally would like a period like that for myself! :haha:

ETA: I would be hesitant in making it completely optional. Not many children WANT to take nap, and when the rest of the kids see the other ones staying up you will have mass chaos on your hands. That, or other parents will hear about it and you will have other parents coming out of the woodwork requesting no nap/quiet time because they think it will help them get their children to sleep easier at night. I wouldn't make it optional. You'll be asking for trouble.

8. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 7, 2008

Yes, all of our classes nap. the four and just turned 5's sleep from 12:30-2:30. Most of them sleep, I think maybe 2 dont, but they have to lie quietly on their cots.

when the public school is closed and we have school-agers(ages 5-12) they dont have nap, but there is quiet time where they read books.

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I teach Kindergarten in a public school and we nap for 30 minutes. Out of my 17 all but 2 fall asleep.

Kelly :)

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 7, 2008

Pre-k does, K doesn't. I don't know for how long.

11. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jan 7, 2008

I teach in full day K and YES we nap!! My kids nap anywhere from 40-55 minutes a day, depending on how tired they are and what we need to get done. All but about 2 fall asleep. And I disagree with making it optional. If kids KNOW they don't have to sleep, they won't even if they are tired. And parent's who don't want their kids to nap because they think their kids won't go to bed are CRAZY. Kids sleep better at night when they are well rested during the day. My 4 year old still takes 2 hour naps, 3 on days that it is raining or we've been going hard. His daycare naps as well, and I know our public preschool program does as well.

12. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Jan 7, 2008

I teach full day kindergarten. My group "rest" for 45 minutes. It is not optional but rerquired by the state. They may lie down or sit quietly(never happens!) with a book. None of my 20 sleep. It is also the most difficult time of day.

13. Myname

Myname Comrade

Jan 7, 2008

by law my kids have to have a 30 min rest time. Our time is 2 hours long after 1/2 hour if they are not sleepers they can get up and color quietly or whatever as long as they are quiet.

14. zawa

zawa Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

Yes, they have a nap time. And when I was in school, we even had a nap in kindergarden. Our 4s and 5s have their nap time from 1-3 every day. There are a few who rarely sleep, but they all have to lie quietly for a while. The non-sleepers and early risers are offered a quiet activity to do for the last 45 minutes or so of nap time.

15. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 7, 2008

This is the policy at my centre as well. The children must lay down quietly for 1/2 an hour. If they are not asleep after 1/2 an hour they may get up off of their cots. Our nap time only lasts 1 hour and then we wake everyone up.

16. kindteach

kindteach Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

I have the a full day K class and we don't nap, but we do have 1/2 an hour of DEAR time (quiet reading). Sometimes the children will sleep during this time, but it is rare.

17. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I personally was a child who in Kindergarten was forced to lay quietly for an hour. I was a very active child who didn't need the nap and I still remember how mad I got at my teachers every day and how incredibly difficult it was for me to lay still for that long. This is where my position on this stems from..

I have seen programs where naptime is optional, and it can work. In very flexible programs, children are allowed to nap whenever they need to throughout the day, and most who need it will take advantage of that. If they have had time to be active and use their energy throughout the morning, those who need the naps should be exhausted and fall right asleep.

My student teaching placement is a Kindergarten with no time in the schedule for naps. Every day at least one or two children do get tired though and have to use the "relaxation corner." They usually conk right out. The articles below I think have good information.

Here is part of an article I found:

"Should a five-year-old be forced to take a nap or sit quietly for 45-minutes? Or perhaps a better question would be can you even expect a five-year-old to be able to do either? This week a parent asked for help with this issue. Her five-year-old started kindergarten this year and has been labeled a trouble maker because he's not able to nap or sit quietly during the school-imposed mandatory 45-minute nap/quiet time. If students don't want to nap, they must lie quietly. The parent wanted to know if the doctor could recommend some disciplinary methods the teacher might use to stop her son's behavior.

I find it hard to believe a school would attempt to make a child in kindergarten take a nap.

Dr. Rosemond's reply was (that) he was "amazed" that the school had this mandatory nap time when most kids this age have stopped napping for at least two years.

One suggestion he offered was to see if the child's teacher would allow him to sit in an isolated part of the room where he can read or play quietly during this time. If this was not possible he suggests the parent might want to look into placing her son in another school to avoid the troublemaker label."

Many parents responded to this article, with similar thoughts.

Here's another:

"Some researchers will argue that five-year-old children still need a nap at school. Children of this age need ten to twelve hours of sleep. In today's busy world, most children do not receive this sleep at home.

Other researchers suggest that while it is true children need more sleep; the sleep should be the responsibility of the parents and not the school. Perhaps we were underestimating the abilities of young children. Most children stop napping on their own before the age of five."

This is from http://education.families.com/blog/kindergarten-naptime

18. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 7, 2008

Thank you all for your replies. I agree that the children still need to have a quiet time and the one who fall asleep needed the sleep in the first place. The kids in my room who do not sleep are able to look at a book as long as they are quiet. The parents in my room haven't complained but some of the parents from the room beside of mine have been complaining that their kids don't want to come to school because they don't like naptime. Go figure! I told the director that you have to be careful about being too accommodating. Where do you draw the line? I'm not sure what she will decide but she had asked my opinion and I appreciate your help. Thank you!

19. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jan 7, 2008

I just found another great article about calming children before nap and making it an enjoyable experience. If you did do an optional nap- these techniques would sure entice most children to join-

http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=64

I've also heard of giving one child the classroom job of back rubber, to rub backs while children are falling asleep.

20. prekteach10

prekteach10 Rookie

Jan 7, 2008

Yes our PreK students must take a nap. They do not have to sleep but they must rest on their cot. It is a state requirement in Illinois that they rest for 2 hours. Our nap time is from 12:30- 2:30pm. During this time the teacher and aid take their breaks. The children must stay on their cots for the first hour. Then when the teacher returns from break they may get up and read a book, color or do a puzzle(something quiet). Most of the children fall asleep either because they are tired or for the simple fact that they are bored with nothing else to do.

I have had parents ask me to not have their child sleep the for the full 2 hours, but if a child is asleep I am not going to wake them up just because their parents do not want them to sleep. Even in K they still have a rest period before the day is over. So these children still need their rest time.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 8, 2008

My child, as an infant, did not sleep much. He slept from 10 to 6 getting up every other hour and staying awake for an hour. This means he slept a total of 4 hours. He took ONE 15 min nap during the day. Now as a toddler it can be hard to get him on a routine of going to sleep at night. Once he does, he is okay. Can he benefit from a nap? Sometimes he doesn't take one, but it won't happen if he isn't forced to lay still. As a parent I know that he DOES sleep better at night if he has rest during the day.

Now my 8 year old... That child has slept since the day he was born and continues to need more rest than my other two children. On his way home, he falls asleep. We live 1/2 a mile from the youth center! He just this year was able to sit through an entire 2 hour movie.

My oldest was about average. He could sleep well but did okay with an avg amt of sleep or a little less now that he is a teenager wannabe. If we tell him to go to bed, he sleeps easily. If we don't, he is able to stay awake long hours.

22. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 8, 2008

It was recently banned at our Head Starts that are full day, unless they are full day extended day- so wonder if it is a law and then how many hours equals a few days. I'm in half day this year, so I guess it doesn't much make a difference.