Naptime

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by sbtellmann, Jul 28, 2005.

1. sbtellmann

sbtellmann Companion

Jul 28, 2005

Does anyone have naptime at their full day Kindergarten? My school is letting me choose how long I want the children to nap. I was thinking 45 minutes is good, but do you think it's too long? I'm debating between 30 or 45 minutes. What do you think?

3. ESL-K-Teacher

ESL-K-Teacher Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

I usually have them lay down for about 20-25 minutes, most of my students don't fall asleep anyways. It's a relaxation time more than a nap, they lay down and listen to soft music. I don't think 5-6 year old need to sleep. Our nap time is longer the first few weeks of school (30-35) and much shorter by the end of the year, in June, we usually don't nap since we are getting ready for 1st grade.

4. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

i should agree with you esl-k-teacher, they r too big to have a nap. i will recommend rest time for 20 to 30min instead of nap

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

In our county, nap time is no longer allowed--too much to teach during the year.

6. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 28, 2005

I agree with the above. As a parent of children who have given up their naps very, very early in life (long before kindergarten) I would say 20 minutes tops. It allows those who still need naps to gradually wean themselves off of them, and it still takes into account those who don't need this downtime (they just end up getting more and more restless if you try to force too much 'relax' time on them). My kid had to lie down in Kindergarten - they didn't need it and they hated it.

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 28, 2005

We put an educational video in and students lay down with their pillow and watch the video, if they fall asleep ok and if not they are learning AND everybody is happy going this route.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

Call me old fashioned.....but, I still think it is important for kindergarten children to have rest time. Some may sleep, others no, but they have a lot going on during the day, and I feel it is important to their well being to be able to unwind, if even for 30 minutes. I feel they are better able to work, focus, and learn with that bit of quiet, relaxation time. My kids arrive at 7:20 - 7:30 in the am.......imagine what time they get up in the am! I think it is sad that this part of the day is taken away because there is so much to teach! I equal it to taking away recess or free choice time. Do you think we are as effective teaching all of those things when the children are not allowed time to calm, relax and refocus? Many may feel their children may not need to rest, but in my experience, all children benefit from this calming, refocusing part of the day. I haven't seen them get more restless. later in the year, I allow them to quietly look at books, etc....but they are still are resting their minds a bit! Of course, by the end of the year it is shorter, and most choose to look at books, but we still find time for it everyday. I can't imagine giving this up.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 28, 2005

Good point. The part of naptime I disagree with is not letting them do anything but lie down. Looking at books or a video is great, it's sort of equalled to silent reading time for older grades. You are right, resting their minds is a good thing and everyone needs that once in a while.

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2005

we lie down for about 20 minutes right after lunch recess, and take turns going to the bathroom. The couple of kids that fall asleep usually need it (bad stuff going on at home) so we let them sleep for a while longer, while the other kids have free choice time or centers...after Christmas they can sometimes look at books, etc (quiet activities).

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 28, 2005

I have rest time for about 30 minutes after lunch and recess. I let the kids lie down if they want, look at a book or color. They must do something quiet. Occasionally I had a child or two fall asleep but not too often. The children can bring a little towel in and leave in their cubby so at rest time they take their towel and lie down on the rug. I also turn the lights out and put on classical music in the background.

12. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 29, 2005

Our district still does naps for about 30 minutes, give or take on certain days. My daughter stopped taking naps when she was almost 4. When she got to kinder, there were days that she would fall asleep. I think they should have a rest time. There will probably be a few regulars that fall asleep, but the others won't. 45 minutes is a long time for those that don't fall asleep to sit still. My suggestion is that you set aside 25-30 minutes for rest and let the sleepers continue to sleep if they need it. We had free centers right after nap, so if a child was still asleep, they were not missing valuable learning time.

13. Mrs.Davis

Mrs.Davis New Member

Jul 29, 2005

I think 30 is a little too long i was told, my suggestion is go with 2-15 minute rest periods and maybe integrate a nap period for one of them. Generally I also agree with the previous post, free time is good after nap time, the kids tend to be dazed when they wake up.
    However, if you as the teacher are tired, may i suggest some red bull? hehehe

14. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jul 29, 2005

Where I teach, it is up to us whether we have nap time or not. What I do depends on the group of students I have each year. If most of my group falls fast asleep during the first couple of weeks, I continue with a 30-40 min. rest time until I see that they don't need it every day. After Christmas, I'll start weening them to a shorter amount of time, every other day and then by the end of the year, we don't have it at all.

However, this year, I had a group that did not like to rest at all. What I did for them was to have everyone put their heads down at their seat for 15 mins., then they would get up to watch something on PBS for 30 mins. The 2 students that always went to sleep did so, and I woke them up in time to watch the last 10 mins. of the show in order to have them awake for our next lesson afterwards.

I feel like it really depends on the group of students that you have. I don't decide how I will use rest time until I get my students and see how they are. Then I choose the best situation to benefit them instead of making an overall decision without taking them into acount first.

15. skelley

skelley Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

I teach first grade and I still turn the lights out after lunch for between 3-15 minutes every day. The kids can finish up independent work (I keep a couple of lamps on) or look at a book, but there will not be any talking. It really seems to help them settle down after being in the LOUD cafeteria. It really has a calming effect. I just never have been able to go right into something directly after lunch - the kids don't seem ready either. I wish teachers had nap times too!!!! :rolleyes:

16. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Jul 29, 2005

I knew a teacher who turned off the lights (except a couple of lamps) played quiet music, and did yoga with the students on the rug..three times a week. like certain days (mon. wed. fri.) Simple yoga poses. This really calmed the kids down and after ten minutes of yoga they would have a really great quite/rest time 20 minutes. Some students would sit by a lamp and read others would quietly draw at their tables and some would really rest or sleep.

I thought this was a really cool way to get the students calmed down . After a while the students knew the yoga poses and different students would lead the session. I thought it was really cool. But I guess it all depends on your group!!!

17. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

In the beginning of the year I have them have quiet time for 30 mins. But, they are allowed to look at books or go on the computer if it is their computer day. I look at the students to see if they need the full 30 mins or not. Last year none of my students ever fell asleep so I quickly shortened the time to 15 mins.