naptime quandry

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by sca, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sca

sca New Member

Feb 16, 2010

How do those of you with 4 year olds handle nap as the year goes on? We had a system that was working pretty well. But increasingly, as my older ones get older they don't need a nap and thus cause trouble for those who do. Some of the kids really need one, and we have behavior problems in the afternoon from their not getting it. But other kids cause behavior problems during nap, and then their friends still don't get to sleep. I understand that they've outgrown nap, but what can I do with them as this happens, so that the others still get their rest?

3. dolphinswim

dolphinswim Companion

Feb 16, 2010

I have some that will never nap and others that will nap each day. From day one they have been told that they must lay still and quiet. Mine know what is expected and that this is an everyday thing and will not change. Now I have made nap time shorter as the year goes on but they still know they need to stay quiet or there will be consequences. I will move those that have trouble, I will take time out of centers or give a slip for not following the rules. Very rarely will I have anyone not settle after a warning.

4. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Feb 16, 2010

I like the idea of making nap time shorter as the year progresses because they will not be able to take naps in K.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 16, 2010

I had 3's who had usually given up their nap... so we allowed those children to bring a "quiet time" backpack... things they could do completely independently (stuffed animals, coloring books, etc). The deal with those specific kids was that they had to be quiet for a specified period of time, while their friends tried to get to sleep. After that time (usually 20 min. or so), if they were cooperating about being quiet, they were allowed to get their bag. Asl ong as they could stay quiet and behaving, they were able to play with their nap toys.

My kids who were quiet but occasionally not napping could get books or puzzles to do on their cots quietly.

This worked really well for us. 2 hours was a LONG time for non-sleepers!

6. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 17, 2010

In my Pre-K class of 4 and 5 year olds, I have recently started showing a movie during nap or just turning on the TV to PBS or one of the stations with learning programs for the preschool age children. I'm doing this because many of them have outgrown nap by this time of the school year. The rules are that they have to lie on their mats and not bother anyone else. They know that if they do bother others, I will move their mat to the corner of the room where they will not be able to see the TV. So far they are doing well with this and those who need to sleep can fall asleep when they are ready. I keep the sound low.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 17, 2010

In some areas they do still nap in K. I know our state mandates it, though some districts ignore that (just like they ignore the break-down between teacher and student directed time, and the amount of "play" time) to add more intervention time. Intervention time? In K? Before they've even had a chance to learn anything? That's a big part of why I don't teach K anymore.

8. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 21, 2010

Yeah TV in general is definitely not a good thing even if it is a learning program. Most kids get enough TV at home. They don't need it at their school as well. I hate having a TV in our school and I never let my kids watch it even if it's raining. I put on some instrumental music. I have a cd called Fairy Lullabies that I bought from Borders and I know Wal-Mart has some lullaby cds in the baby section. All of my toddlers lay on their tummy and I cover them up to their chin. I do have some toddlers that don't sleep because I refuse to pat backs. I feel that the child needs to learn to sleep on their own. So if they don't sleep that day I'll let them have a couple of books at their mat for the remaining mins of nap.

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Feb 21, 2010

You might offer a desk for or table for kids who don't want to SLEEP... they can just put their heads down and 'rest' - that's what my kids do (kindergarten)... the rule is, you don't HAVE to sleep, but you do have to be quiet and respectful so others who want to can. :)

10. forkids

forkids Cohort

Feb 22, 2010

I agree that most kids get too much TV at home, and we NEVER watch TV during any other time. I just think this gives them some downtime to rest their body and relax even if they are not sleepers. Your toddlers definitely need their nap, but these are 4 and 5 year olds.

11. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 22, 2010

looking at books or coloring a picture or laying quietly is down time. The only time I allow a tv in my classroom is for special events--maybe a Christmas movie the last day of school before Christmas, A Dr. Suess movie during our Dr. Suess week, a learning video (ABC or 123). In the summer when we aren't doing regular curriculum I do a move day every other Friday--- but that's it

12. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2010

I always stratagized on placement of cots. My wigglers and noise makers were usally placed by the ones that fell asleep and slept hard. Our state requires that the children are off their cots after 30 minutes if they arn't asleep(It's usually an hour due to staff lunch breaks). We sleep in our lunch area, so that the children that are awake can go back to the room and play. In the meantime they have to rest quietly. This has it's own set of issues. We have only been in this building a year and a half, prior to this we rested in our room. We had quiet activites set up at our tables which were on one side of the room away from the sleepers. We also have the problem of parents who don't want the child to rest, that's a whole new can of worms!