Naptime concerns

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Boggarts, May 8, 2008.

1. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

May 8, 2008

Naptime at my new job is very awkward for me.

Bethany, the lead teacher want me to lay down with the kids. I was sitting with them helping them settle down. She wants me to lay down and rub their backs. I did rub one girls back but I’m not comfortable laying down beside them. I saw Bethany lay her leg over a boy trying to keep him still. I’m not sure it is right. The boy was laying on his stomach and the teacher was on her side beside him with her leg over him rubbing his back.

I don’t know what to do. The other teacher, Cindi was laying beside another boy and holding him down for nap too. This is really hard for me. I know they are trying to help them sleep but this doesn’t fell right. The kid was crying and screaming the whole time. I just wanted to run out of there. I don't think they are doing anything abusive but....

I don’t think it is right to be laying down beside the kids. It really bothers me. I’m just not comfortable with an adult female laying down beside the boys. It doesn’t feel right. I know they want me to lay down and rub their backs. It just isn’t right. My daughter was abused by my ex husband. He use to lay down beside and read her stories. I later found out that was when he was hurting her. So maybe it's just me. The state told me it was wrong for any adult to lay with a child.

I'm so confused and scared. I've only been at my job for three days but I really can't afford to quit. I just don't know what to do.

Any advice or thoughts? :help:

3. Jezmom3

Jezmom3 Rookie

May 8, 2008

Do not allow anyone to "make" you do something you are not comfortable with. As far as laying down with the children, you would have to check with the state agency that regulated childcare in your state and their rules. I know you can not hold a child down, unless they are harming others or themselves, (that is the state regulation in my state).I would talk to the director of your center and let him/her be aware of your concerns.

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

May 8, 2008

Some kids really need some pressure to relax themselves at nap time. Maybe you could use a small beanbag chair or a weighted blanket while you're patting backs? If you could find a weighted blanket, it could even be your special naptime blanket. You know, they get it when they're laying down and being quiet. I had a coworker who had a child who would take the beanbag chair and cover himself with it every day. He needed the extra pressure to relax himself.

I would never ask someone to do something they're uncomfortable with, but with breaks and preptime at naptime, I can understand that this teacher wants the kids DOWN as quickly as possible so you all can take your breaks and get your prep/planning done.

5. memeskids

memeskids Rookie

May 9, 2008

I think that a child should not be held down for any reason other than if they are harming themselves of others. Sitting beside the children and rubbing their back is appropriate for naptime. I think you should let the lead teacher know that you are more comfortabel sitting up and rubbing or patting their backs. I just don't believe that children should be forced to lay down or forced into going to sleep.
    Maybe the center needs to have an extra staff that can give breaks during naptime.
    Go with your feelings...don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

6. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

May 13, 2008

One of my assistants would hold students when I was on maternity leave, it stopped when I came back. In my classroom, the students are allowed to lay quietly and not have to sleep. My assistants (and some of my high students) will pat backs. I don't require anyone to sleep. Before the end of the year buzz, I would have the majority of the kiddos sleeping. Right now, I have about 3-4 that sleep.

I second what everyone else is saying. Don't feel forced into doing something you don't feel comfortable doing. Check with the director and make sure your back is covered.

7. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 13, 2008

In regard to patting or rubbing backs, I have to wonder how many of these children have someone patting or rubbing their backs every night at bedtime to go to sleep. A lot of teachers feel it's necessary, but is it really?

As far as laying down next to them, don't do it if you aren't comfortable with it. As long as you are sitting next to the child and patting his/her back as the lead teacher has asked, then that is all that should be expected of you in this instance.

8. Boggarts

Boggarts Rookie

May 13, 2008

thanks for the support

9. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 13, 2008

Sounds like the situation could quickly heat up. B e careful and get help from your director if needed

10. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 14, 2008

I agree that sitting beside the child should be good enough. We don't even do that in our Pre-K class - we have too much to do. If nap time is set up right; the right time of day, lights out, soothing music to listen to, the right atmosphere; it shouldn't be necessary to pat/rub backs for the chldren to relax. Ours are worn out by naptime, they know they are expected to rest and not talk/play, and we have a very relaxing atmosphere and a predictable naptime routine.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

I agree with you, especially by the end of the year, they should know the routine. I had a new boy start this week and he is truly
    driving me insane. Nap time is a nightmare. He talks and makes noises, etc. Today I told him (out of desperation,) that if he wasn't quiet, he wouldn't be having ice cream with us. He then proceeded to whine and holler loudly, "I WANT ICE CREAM!!!!! YOU BETTER GIVE ME ICE CREAM!!!!!!!) We are having it Friday and if this keeps up, guess who won't be having any. Of course he'll ruin the others treat time, so I think I'll send him to the office. He has my class so upset and disrupted that they are also going nuts. He'll be gone when school is out, thank god!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Saying I'm not comfortable should suffice. Any adult should understand why.

Don't do it. That's for moms and dads.

13. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

May 16, 2008

I didn't go through all the suggestions, so if I repeat someone else, just claim this as one that agrees with them! :)

Talk to your director and find out what HER/HIS protocol is on naptime.

14. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

May 18, 2008

I agree with the other posters. We do not rub backs in my PreK classroom. As a parent I would not have a problem with a teacher rubbing my child's back but I would not want to walk in the classroom and see my child's teacher laying down with her leg over my child. As a teacher I do not feel that this is very professional behavior. You should not lose your job for not doing this but you could very well lose it if the right parent becomes upset because you do. We have to be careful of what touches we use with the children in our classrooms. I would just tell the other teacher that I will be glad to rub the backs of the children but I am not very comfortable laying down and putting my leg across them.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 19, 2008

IF the leg is for a calming/pressure thing (I've had kids who respond VERY well to a weight/pressure at nap time), try a bag of beans or bag of beanbags. I've had kids who fidget, fidget, fidget until I give them a bag of beans/beanbags to keep on their backs. I tell them it's a game to see how long the bag can stay there without them touching it. it works for some kids ;)

16. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 20, 2008

Clarnet- great idea. I would have to agree with not doing laying down with the kids and putting your leg over them. Yikes- in my opinion, that is not appropriate regardless of why it is done.