Naps

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sllecompte, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Curleighgirl

Curleighgirl Rookie

May 4, 2007

I love the idea of being the "wake-up" fairy. I may incorporate that into my nap time next year. Thanks for the idea!

2. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 5, 2007

I teach Kindergarten and my kids nap for 30 mins on a regular day and 45 mins when I have assessments to be done. I am also a DIBEL school and my scores have increased over each cycle. So, I would have to say with a moderate nap time(30 to 45 mins) that it will not effect the scores.

3. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

May 5, 2007

I'd love a two hour nap! The full day preschoolers in my center nap/rest from about 1:00 to about 3:00 but that is flexible by 15 minutes in either direction. These kids are in the center from 7:30 to about 5:00 so it's more like daycare hours in a preschool setting. If a child is not sleepy, they are allowed to work puzzles or look at books quietly on their cots.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 5, 2007

Our kg. students only get a 1 hour nap for the first half of the school year. The teacher or parapro then does small group learning centers with the students who do not nap after everyone lays down for 20-30 minutes. I really think by the end of the school year nap time should be abolished. They need to get used to staying awake and "alert" for the whole school day. Even if they still nap at home, it is always a big shock to them when there is no nap time in 1st grade so I think they should practice being 1st graders by the end of the school year by not napping. If quiet time was mandated, I will probably have them do quiet activities --no napping.

5. srh

srh Devotee

May 5, 2007

No Kinder napping in my district--or in any district I know around here. There is WAY too much learning that has to happen! We have a 10-15 minute recess/snack break. At the beginning of the year, they come in from recess and put their heads down on tables while we play music for about 5 minutes. That stops in about November. If they are having problems after that, it's actually a sign they need more sleep at home!

6. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

May 7, 2007

I would find out if your state as specific guidelines to napping and then determine from that how much time your kids should be napping. For example, if it's 45 minutes that's required, I would make a daily schedule to show the principal where the nap time will be but just how much more learning will be occurring by only doing the "required" amount of nap time.

7. msjustice

msjustice Rookie

May 7, 2007

We allow 30 minutes for rest, they have mats if they choose to get them out. Otherwise this is silent, individual reading time. Occasional fridays they play a short curriculum related movie at this time, but most of them do not sleep during this time.

8. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 8, 2007

I am jealous of those who are allowed to let their kids watch movies during rest time! We can't watch videos at all(no VCR's,) because the administration thinks it's a waste of teaching time. I think it's ridiculous, but they won't budge. There are many educational videos that they could be watching to go along with themes, but they think if the parents walk in and see them watching , the parents will think poorly of our program.

9. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

May 8, 2007

I think there needs to be a distinction between a centre that has long day care facilities and a kinder class that is part of school.

I am in agreement that 2 hours is way too long and think this should be addressed. What logic/reasoning do the teachers have for letting them sleep so long? I am a parent of twins (4 children in total, twins were numbers 3 & 4) and had one that slept and one that didn't. The one who did not sleep was still awake at 10 o'clock at night!!!

At the start of the school year (January in Australia), we had a 30 minute rest time. 19 out of 21 kids would fall asleep. The children now go out to play with the rest of the school after lunch so they are much more hyped up. We are now down to 3 or 4 who sleep so today we had no rest time but 'cool down' time. This was only 10 minutes long and we kept everyone awake.

After 'cool down' time we do quiet activities like puzzles, pre-writing exercises, games with rules (dominoes, shape and colour bingo), playdough, etc. Tomorrow we will be doing rotational activities which will reinforce phonics, fine motor and social skills.