Naps

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by sllecompte, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

I would die if someone from my school saw this. However, I want to know how long your students nap. Our kindergartens nap almost 1 1/2-2 hours every afternoon. Teaching is at the max 2 hours. I get frustrated because when they come to me they have limited abilities-letter/sound recognition, phonemic awareness, numbers, nonreaders, nonwriters. I love our kindergarten teachers, but something has got to change. Our school is suffering academically. We will become a DIBELS school next year. Do you think that this will make a difference?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

That is crazy. My kinder kid doesn't get a nap. I have DEAR time every day after recess. She reads a book for 15 mins to a 30 mins depending on what is going on that day.

I know the all day K at the school I used to work at had 20 mins of rest time.

4. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

"She" as in your child?!:eek:

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

WOW!!! That is crazy, there is no reason for kinder students to be napping for 2 hours a day! I teach all day kindergarten and we don't have any rest time. During the first few weeks of school, we have a more relaxed afternoon, because they are getting used to being in school, but during this time we are doing math tubs or playdoh, or looking at books, but that only lasts a few weeks and then we are up and running with our regular schedule.

I couldn't imagine sending my students to first grade not knowing their letters/sounds, phonics skills, reading, writing, etc. Most of my students this year knew all of their letters/sounds by October! Most of my students are currently reading on a level DRA 6 and higher and I have some awesome writers! I could never accomplish all of this is my kids napped for 2 hours a day!

Does your administration approve naps this long?

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

My Kinders do rest daily, it's no longer than 30 minutes though. It's more of a quiet time with classical music playing. I do have kids who sleep literally the minute they lay down. While a two hour nap would give me tons of planning time, time to eat a large lunch, time to surf the internet, time to make all the personal phone calls I want, (you get the idea) I think it's RIDICULOUS. I'd have to question that big time!

7. forkids

forkids Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

I teach Pre-K 4/5 year olds, and our kids get a one hour nap(mandated by the state-some don't sleep). The K classes in our school often don't even get recess, let alone nap because they are so busy trying to fit in all the curriculum requirements, reading first mandates, DIBELS, etc.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2007

Full day K and no naps here. And I STILL don't have enough time to teach everything. I think that speaks more to the inappropriateness of the fast-paced curriculum.

But there is NO excuse for a 2 HOUR nap and K's not knowing letters/sounds/numbers, etc.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 19, 2007

2 hour nap time is crazy for K, especially by this point in the year! Our kinders have about a 15-20 minute rest time after recess, but they are also getting water and going to the restroom. It is really just time to give them a break from "doing" something. A few lay their heads down and occasionally sleep, but no more than 30 minutes.

10. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 19, 2007

My kids napped in the beginning of the year for about 20-30 min. Most of them did not sleep, so they just layed down and looked at a book. Now, we do not nap. They silent read for about 10 min. after recess, then I read to them. After that we go straight into literacy centers and then science, social studies, or art. Ever since we quit nap time, I have seen a huge growth in my students just in adding on that extra 30 min to the schedule. I think it's good to have some relaxation time, however 2 hours is ridiculous!

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Our JrK at my preschool is either 1. kids who are in public school 1/2 day and come to use before/after for enrichment, or 2. kids who JUST missed the K cutoff (like October/Novermber/Dec birthdays)... the public school K's don't nap at our center... the PM K's leave after lunch time and the AM K's are in a different class that actually does curriculum while the rest of the building is napping. Our full-day JrK kids do have a 2-hour nap (teacher breaks and prep time), but many of them don't sleep. After 30 min. or an hour the teachers usually let them do something quiet on their cots like reading or coloring if they aren't going to sleep. On the days that public school is out, ALL the JrK/K kids just watch a movie during nap time.

I was in full-day K when I was a student, and I know we had a rest time, but I'm sure it wasn't 2 hours! I also know it probably got diminished as the year went on... I can see even 30 minutes, but probably not more than that, at least not in public school K... ours aren't IN K yet, and most of them STILL don't sleep!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

All of my Pre-K kids sleep for about 2 hours everyday. They are 4 and mostly 5 years old. Some sleep so soundly that i have to wake them up or they would sleep for 3 hours if I didn't.

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

So far, I haven't had been able to add nap time to my schedule. There is so much push for everything that I just can't add that time. It wasn't a problem when I taught half day kinder anyways. But when I found out I would be teaching full day and that there's no time for naps, I was shocked. However, my kids never really needed it. The afternoons for the first few months was just a bit hard for some students, but by December, they were fine.

I think 20 minutes is a good time allotment for naps in kindergarten. 2 hours is a bit too much. I assume this is a full day kinder class????

14. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Apr 19, 2007

That sounds like a Pre-K program. My son is starting full day Pre-K in September, and they get 1.5/2 hour nap a day, plus 2 recesses. THIS I agree with, because they are only 4, need rest, and this is just to prepare them for Kindergarten. I would not be happy if I had a kindergarten child sleeping upwards of 2 hours a day.

15. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 19, 2007

I agree that in preschool/prek, 2 hour naps are acceptable and even mandated by law. (Where I used to work they were required to have an opportunity to sleep for 2 hours a day in preschool). By the time they get to kindergarten though, it should be a 30 minute rest at most! Most of them don't fall asleep at that point anyway.

16. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

Not only do I feel that these naps are interfering with their academic progress, but they cannot seem to handle the structure of my first grade classroom. Hardly any of the kids sleep during that time. The teacher constantly battles with the students playing. All I can think is -If they are not asleep, what a wonderful time to work on those students one-on-one or small group. Which furthers my anger about them not being able to do much when they come to me. Do any of you do Star Early Literacy testing with your students? If so, what do your kinders usually score on average?

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 20, 2007

No as in my kindergarten student. I only have one student in each grade from kindergarten to 8th. (well two in 7th).

18. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 20, 2007

2 hour nap is crazy. Please don't tell me they have an aide, too!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 20, 2007

I don't have an aide. If my kids didn't nap/rest, I would never ever get all my work done because I only get one hour prep per week. Resting is good for the kids and it's too bad we adults can't take a mid day siesta. However, my own kids didn't take naps when they were 4 and 5 years old, but I was a stay at home mom. I would never ever want my own kids sleeping that long. The parents sometimes request their child only sleep an hour or so. We wake them up and give them puzzles, etc to do on their bags. I wish we had a non nap room in our center and I may be pushing for that this summer.

20. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Apr 21, 2007

I teach full-day pre-k and even our kids don't nap! I think a 2 hour nap in kinder is ridiculous, if they're napping for long periods daily there is no point in having full-day, it then turns into daycare. Our pre-k students "napped" for 30 minutes a day the first half of the year, but we quickly realized that most kids didn't need or want it so we phased it out. Our kinders do not nap at all, district mandated. Our district allows a 30 minute "nap" in pre-k but no more, if they catch you doing more you're in trouble. Kids can learn so much more when they have more instructional time.

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2007

My daughter is currently in 1st.

We have full day kindergarten. There are no naps. The kids come home tired, but not too tired to go out and play after homework.

It sounds to me as though the teacher is sleeping on the job.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2007

The parents who have their children enrolled in my Pre-K program want their children to nap. Some ask that I wake them up after an hour. Many have been up since 5:00a.m. and our center opens at 5:30 to accommodate these families. These kids do better with a nap. Two of the children in my care catch a bus at 10:45 for Public school program. They miss nap. They either fall asleep on the bus or when they get back to me, they are too tired to do anything and sometimes fall asleep in a center. We must be more tired here in Wisconsin!

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

I think it's the central heating that does it.

Any young child up since 5 a.m. needs a nap, in my opinion. Or, at least, some downtime to daydream.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

But you have pre-school kids not kindergarten. Besides you wear them out by making them dance all morning long! :D

25. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

I was just thinking about this, my kindergartner never falls asleep during DEAR time but I have had my first grader, third grader and fourth grader all fall asleep.

26. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 21, 2007

Kinder at our school doesn't nap either.

27. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 21, 2007

K at my school has a DEAR time of about 30 minutes after lunch with lights out. They can lay down with a blanket, but none of them fall asleep. After 30 minutes, they're up and outside while the younger children nap.

28. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 21, 2007

We have full day k, and my kinders nap for 40 mins right after recess (well actually after whole class bathroom and drink time). Most children don't sleep, but I've got the regulars that do.

My rule is that they must lie down (head on pillow), not disturb others, and not move their legs around. They need to be silent. They cannot get up unless it's an emergency.

At the end of rest, I choose one child to get the "star rester" award (if they rested quietly). They then get to be the wake up fairy. I cast a spell on them and then they wake everyone up. They love that!

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2007

Our Ks do not lie down or nap.

30. smile

smile Companion

Apr 21, 2007

I teach all day kinder and no naps at my school. I tried asking if we could have one but no luck. only if its in the standards then i could :p . Even without any nap time, i still don't have enough time to complete everything.

31. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

Well, it is certainly interesting to read all the responses. Of course, I am more frustrated than ever. I really want to mention it to my principal and vice principal, but am not sure if I should. I really think that DIBELS might be the eye-opener for them. We are not allowed to DIBEL our own students. I am a DIBELer. I can DIBEL other students in my own school and I am sent to other schools to help DIBEL. I just feel that if the majority of the students don't benchmark, that should be questioned. Kindergartners currently just take an end-of-the-year test given by the teacher. I feel that they should not be allowed to test their own students. I believe the passing rate is 67%-a D-. Of course, these are the same students that make Ds and Fs in first grade. There are some that we wonder how they passed at all. The teacher insists that the knowledge is lost during the summer. Now, I believe that some things will need to be refreshed, but let's get real...
    Do you think I should talk to the principal about the napping situation? I feel that they should already know. However, it is a rarity that anyone walks around the school to check to see what we are really doing.

32. ssteacher

ssteacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

I'm curious how long of a day this full day kindergarten is, and at what time they are napping? Chicago schools that have full day kindergarten (no nap that I know of) have a 5 hours 45 minute day and end around 2pm-3pm I know Chicago has one of the shortest days. I teach full day preschool and the only kids that nap are those that stay for after care (and have already been there 5 1/2 + hours). And still some of them don't fall asleep.

33. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2007

I think I would keep quiet about it until asked about the scores.

34. EBKLYN

EBKLYN Companion

Apr 21, 2007

What should one do if a student puts his head down and is knocked right out while he is suppose to do his seat work?

35. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Apr 21, 2007

In my opinion, if a kindergarten student is that wiped out, then they need the sleep and should be allowed to sleep for a little while (not 2 hours!) My understanding of the original post though was that the majority of the kids weren't sleeping anyway.

36. sllecompte

sllecompte Rookie

Apr 21, 2007

It is a full day of school. The students arrive at 7:45-8:15. Kindergarten enrichment is from 8:30-9:00. They go to lunch from10:40-11:00. I think they have bathroom break before they go out to recess. They usually come in at 11:45 and begin to take a nap around 12:30. They get back up at 2:20, gather their things and sit on the carpet until 2:40 when dismissal starts. I am seriously thinking about taking the test so that I can "teach" kindergarten at my school!!

37. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2007

Maybe some rest time in September when they are just adjusting to school- 15-20 minutes on a mat with a book, lights on. I would not be encouraging sleep!! There is so much curriculum to cover in K these days (whether or not you agree with the pushed down curriculum is a non-issue here- it's required curriculum...) that I don't see how Ks have TIME to sleep. Sure K can be fun- but they should be learning while having fun. They should go home tired- I do!!

38. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 22, 2007

I teach full day K and my kids rest for a 1/2 hour. Even now I still have about half of my class that doses off! Regardless...the group I have this year needs the down time. They are so busy, active, and constantly at each others throats that they need time to relax and calm down! Even the ones that don't sleep behave so much better after that down time! Kids need time to relax in such a busy environment...but 2 hours is way too much!

39. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Apr 23, 2007

I teach full day pre-k and had phased out naps because non of my students were sleeping. My principal saw that my students were working in centers at rest time and told me they had to nap the full 50 minutes due to state regulations. I think it is such a waste of instructional time. I do pull groups and work with them at nap, but it is hard for the children to lay quietly-I was finally able to get permission in January for the students to atleast look at books while they rest.

40. TN mom

TN mom Rookie

May 3, 2007

I teach full day K. We go from 8:30 until 3:15. We nap every day for 45 minutes right before dismissal.

Most of them STILL sleep. Today, for example, all but 3 of my children slept. And those 3 were still and quiet. I think they need it. They are still young and growing. Now, if they were not resting or sleeping and I had to "fight" with them to be still or quiet; it would be time to quit napping. However, in my state, a 45 minute "quiet time" is mandated; so I would have to find something for them to do that would qualify as "rest".

TWO hours is just WAAAAAAAAAY too long!

41. Gwen

Gwen Companion

May 4, 2007

2 hours is WAY to much. As a parent I would be upset by this. As a teacher of all day Kindergarten I do think a short rest time is appropriate. My K's rest for about 20 minutes. Some really sleep during that time. I worry however because I have one boy who is so tired that he just can't get up at the end of 20 minutes. He has missed a good portion of math so Ive had to get his mom involved in catching him up. Is the administration aware that they rest for 2 hours? That is a lot.