Nap time

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by asha, Jan 28, 2014.

1. asha

asha Rookie

Jan 28, 2014

I am not the best in putting children to sleep. :( My class is graduating in Summer, so with the new children I want to start fresh and train them well to fall asleep on their own. With current class, I do patting on most of them, which takes too much time. My new class is going to be all three year olds. I need to have a plan on what to do from the day one. I have dark room for nap, and I put on classical music. Any suggestions, will be appreciated. :help:

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 29, 2014

Make sure you keep them busy and challenged during the morning and you have a routine before nap.

They should know that after they eat lunch, they go to the bathroom, wash their hands and lay down on their cots. You turn on the music and tell them it is now nap time. I would always tell my class "Good night" Walk around the room and cover anyone who needs help, quietly tell anyone whose eyes are open to close their eyes, a hand on the back if they need it. Most of the class should go to sleep.

Make sure that they are sleeping in the same spot every time. Sometimes it helps if the child who has a little more difficulty falling asleep is "blocked off" from the others in some way. That might mean the cot is against or near a wall with their face facing the wall. Or is the only one in the block center.

Sometimes it helps to put those you know who will go straight to sleep around someone who doesn't.

And sometimes you just need to rub their back or smooth your index finger & thumb down both sides of their face.

Don't wait until your next class, make changes now. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

4. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 29, 2014

Exactly what she said! Great advice!

My kids are 3 and they know after lunch that it's rest time, they go potty and I cover them and say goodnight and they go to sleep. Occasionally I have to ask them to close their eyes/calm down.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2014

Consider that rest and downtime may be enough...don't feel compelled by the notion that everyone must sleep.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2014

Kpa has the right idea. That's pretty much how I do it. I put the wigglers and trouble makers right next to where I will be working at my desk and it works quite well.Above all, be consistent in your routine and expectations…"This is what we do now. It is quiet time and we rest. Good night."

7. asha

asha Rookie

Jan 30, 2014

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
    What should I do about those that will try to stand up, run around, try me out? Do I just get them back to bed? I have one that may put up a long fight, she is only 2.5 and rather challenging. I have play pen, and I am considering to put her in it, if she acts out.

8. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jan 30, 2014

Where I am, it would be illegal to put her in a play pen. Plus I wouldn't do that. It won't help her learn how to handle nap time. If she gets up, you put her back on her bed- every time she does it. You may have to sit and pat her back for a few minutes. If you do this, I would tell her I will pat your back for xx amount of minutes and then you need to go to sleep. Only do this if she refuses to lay on her own.

I have had a difficult child and I simply sat next to him on the floor with my work. When he realized I wasn't moving, he would go to sleep. Maybe try that too.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jan 30, 2014

Honestly, I found that having a tape where a story was read over the top of classical music was the best (classical kids was the cd set I had). It gave the child who wasn't going to sleep something to do, and it gave the sleep some peace. The music acted as a bridge to allow the sleeper to sleep. After we finished all of the books on cd I had from this company then I moved to novels on tape. Laura Ingalls Wilder was a great book on tape, calm and soothing and interesting as well.

10. asha

asha Rookie

Jan 31, 2014

Novels on cd, that sounds really great. Love the idea.
    I like the idea of giving specific amount of time for patting those who gave me hard time.
    GreAt ideas from everyone. I may start new on Monday. Thanks everyone. Wish me luck.

11. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

Just to update. My challenging nap Time child tried to walk away or rather run away from bed, I just put her back on, and waited in same place to put her back on. And it worked, she lay down and was first to fall asleep. I did pat her but still it was a progress.
    I will keep working on it.
    Next weekend I am going to workshop, so I will look for novels on CD. I have som books on CD but they are short so children get bored listening to them.

12. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 1, 2014

If you have speakers or a CD player with a spot for an ipod you might be able to download books from your library.

13. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 1, 2014

Kpa1b2 thanks for that info. Did not know about that.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2014

I download audio books for myself all the time. There has to be books for kids, then you're not having to buy things.

15. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Feb 5, 2014

The way the nap mats are arranged are also pretty important from what I have seen. We had to change that a few times at first till we had a perfect arrangement as we got to know the children this year because certain ones need to be far away from other ones that love to talk,etc.. My routine is that I go to the children I know are are generally a problem if left alone first. We usually read them one book and then pat/rub backs. It can be quite the task if the other teacher is busy with a task though and I'm pretty much alone with 13-15 children, but most of the time it goes pretty smoothly after 30 minutes. The first 30 minutes are always the most busy and active.

I like the idea of the book recording though. xP I never thought of that.

16. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 13, 2014

With all the great advise that I received, I want to post the update on my nap time. I was trying many approaches, but I think today I got a good rhythm. We had lunch, potty, and no play which they usually got. Then I took them to nap room, read two longer stories and with classical music they went to sleep. The younger children, two year olds I patted, but my 4 year olds I just put my hand on their backs. They woke up early since that play was eliminated and they went to sleep faster. In the end, I end up having extra hour where we played duck duck goose, hot potato, and obstacle course. So thank you all for great advises, they gave me a to think and I think I found something that may work for us. Plus it was great to have that extra hour to play.:thumb:

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2014

Good job Asha.