Nap Time Questions

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Guest, May 20, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

May 20, 2002

How do I incorporate my afterschoolers into the daily naptime routine at the daycare without making them feel obligated to take a nap...and without disturbing those who do want to take a nap? NOTE: I only have one room which houses 40+ kids and it is me and one other teacher watching over them.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 25, 2002

Do you have access to books so that the children who don't want to nap can choose some books to read silently while the other kids are resting? ...Or you could allow them to choose 2 or 3 books to bring for nap time??

4. Guest

Guest Guest

May 30, 2002

I would suggest calling the time for the older kids "Chill Out Time". Give them a choice of relaxing activities such as independent reading (previously mentioned), drawing, or snoozing if needed. Some older kids may take you up on the quick naptime as their lives are often so busy that they lack the proper amount of sleep at night. The name "Chill Out Time" may be "cool" enough so that they are not cautious about snoozing with the little ones.

Good Luck.... kids need to have down time that is dedicated just to themselves. :)

5. Brooke

Brooke Guest

Jun 18, 2002

I have had the same problem we let the older children listern to recorded stories and explained how important it was for them to be quite so they can hear all the words some of them now even bring in their own stories