Nametag Woes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 14, 2006

Greetings!

How can I get my first graders to stop peeling off their name tags?!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :love:

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 14, 2006

On the first day of school, I told my second graders we were having a name tag contest. The person with the best looking nametag at the end of the year would earn a prize. I have three students who have peeled up one corner, but the other nametags look like they did on the first day of school.

4. 2ndTimeArnd

2ndTimeArnd Companion

Apr 14, 2006

You don't. They peel it off; they don't get a new one. But it's an odd thing ... last year half my class picked at theirs and messed them up; this year I only have one or two who did. I fretted about it the first two years I taught; now I just let it go. If I know I'm having a sub, I've got little tent-like nametags I can put on the desks for her benefit ... otherwise, I figure they know their names, and I know their names, and the other kids do, so at this point in the year, it isn't a big deal to me.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 14, 2006

I am with you. You mess with it, you lose it.

6. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2006

I had to tear off all the nametags before the Terra Nova because there was a number line on each one. A lot of them are trashed so I'm thinking instead of spending time and wasting tape I might just throw them away and be done. It's a bummer because I've only had them on there for 3 months!! I really liked those name tags too. They were the kind that had information on them, but they weren't too crowded and overwhelming. I bought some for next year, but now sure how I'm going to use them. I will have tables in first grade and if I move kids around alot (I constantly do that now) then I'd have to tear the name tags off and retape them. Also, I'm not sure if they would all fit on the tables because they are larger. Where can you buy those little trays that can hold the nametags?? That would be nice...

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Apr 14, 2006

I quit taping my name plates down. I laminate them and they sit on top of their desks. Now it doesn't matter. It's much easier. It used to drive me crazy to have the edges peeling up and dirty.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Apr 14, 2006

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 14, 2006

I forked over more bucks for the prelaminated ones through really good stuff (mult. chart, US map, place value chart, etc). I had one child who ruined his, he bought it. They had some adhesive strips on the back, but I don't use them. I put a couple of pieces of scotch tape just to keep them on the desk and make them "flippable" when we need to hide the information for a test. During testing week I just take them up and stack them to the side. I use them more for the information on them rather than the name part, although, when I get a wild hair and rearrange the classroom on the weekends or after school, it helps them find their place quicker! :)

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 14, 2006

I know a teacher...can't remember if the name tags are taped or not...but if they don't have it (most of it at least the name part read) somewhere in their desk at the end of the year this teacher says they can't move to the next grade!!! Of course this isn't true, but it helps....I think the teacher does count it towards some sort of grade citizenship or something.

11. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Apr 14, 2006

I use the clear packing tape to put them down in Sept. Then as I give stickers they put the stickers on the tape part. Using that as their own sticker chart they are more careful to leave it all intact. I only had two that needed retaped this year. Of course the custodian hates the name tags on the desk. But he does not understand their purpose.

12. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 14, 2006

During the last few days of school our students clean their own desks and teacher makes them keep cleaning until it's done. Our custodians don't clean them at all as far as I know. Our custodians are repainting, cleaning carpets and doing a lot of other stuff over the summer.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 14, 2006

I like the ideas, but my problem is that we switch classes, and sometimes my class will come back and tell me that someone had been picking at the tape.

14. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Apr 14, 2006

Don't your custodians wipe the desk tops daily? Ours clean and disinfect all the horizontal surfaces every day. That is when he gets disgusted with the name tags. If the kids pick at the tape event the slightest bit it picks up dust and turns black on the edges. That really bugs my custodian.

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 14, 2006

*snort* No...our custodian doesn't do anything like that. He sweeps my room while we are at lunch. He doesn't move chairs, he doesn't get under the desks, tables, etc, he doesn't always remember to empty the trash cans. He's there because of a political move. He even chews tobacco on campus and nothing is done. He has been to jail twice for drugs and his brain is fried. I sweep every day, and either I, or the kids, do dusting several times a week. I wish our custodians would be required to do more. I also wish they would have to wait until after school. I hate starting the day with a dirty floor and full trash cans.

16. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Apr 14, 2006

Wow! Guess I don't know how good I have it. My custodian even empties the pencil sharpener. He wipes my boards every night, straightens the desks and chairs and even waters the plants when I forget them. So I guess a few derogatory comments about my name tags should be over looked for all of that! He really takes pride in making sure the classrooms are clean and look good. Why, he even brings Popsicles to the kids if they keep papers and crayons off the floors. I guess I'm pretty lucky!!!

17. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Apr 14, 2006

The custodians only empty trash and recycling and do the floors. It was that way in all three of the districts I've subbed. Districts were on both sides of state.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 15, 2006

Our custodians only mop twice a year- during spring break and over the summer break! If we didn't use baby wipes to wash off our desks, they would never get done. The custodians don't even do that in the summer. Our custodians are the pits, but I guess it's hard to find someone with a work ethic for minimum wage.

19. Minerva

Minerva Companion

Apr 15, 2006

Our custodians do the floors and empty the trash. The board gets washed once each week. I have seen the lady who cleans my room empty the sharpener and sometimes dust a little bit, and she is the best person I've ever had. If I didn't clean the desks myself or have the students do it, they would never, ever be cleaned. 1stferg, if I were you, I'd give the custodian a nice gift. I can't even get cleaning supplies to clean my own room so I buy them myself.

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 23, 2006

I came up with this name tag idea.... your thoughts?

I'm thinking of putting magnetic tape on the back of the name tags, and putting magnetic tape on the tables as well. I'll put the name tags on the side of the metal storage cabinet, and when the students come in in the morning, they'll find their name (great for name recognition for the little guys in first grade) and stick it on the magnetic tape on their table. This will serve attendance purposes as well... I'll just check to see which name tags are left on the cabinet.

If they play with it, they lose it. If I want to switch their seats, which I do a lot, then they just pick up their name tag and take it to their new spot. I won't have to mess with tape or contact paper.

I'm going to get some chair pockets and I'm not sure if they have spots for name tags, so we'll see what happens with that first.

Do you think this is doable?

21. educ8or2000

educ8or2000 Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

Missy...did you come up with an idea for kids changing classes? What type of name tags are appropriate for 4th grade? When I taught 1st...I used the big ones with the number line, 100s chart, etc. Not sure how to do the 4th grade ones. Ideas?

22. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

As long as you really set up the norms, such as only taking your own and not rolling them up into tubes, it sounds like a good solution.

23. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

I get the blank cards that are the same size as the pre-made nametags and the kids make their own on the first day. It gives them something to do first thing on the first day. Plus it encourages them to take care of them since they made them. The only requirement I put on them is that their name is written (print or cursive) large and legible. They can decorate them however they wish. Then I tape down with clear packaging tape.

24. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006

When I was student teaching, the group that switched came up with an idea. They took a laminated piece of cardstock and folded it into a long triangle that stuck up off of the desk (hot dog style) Hope that makes sense. Then then taped it to the desk (the kids could use it as a pencil holder. The child that sat there always had their name written on the cardstock. The kids that came in there from other rooms came with a name tag made from folded over cardstock. They then put that over the one in the room they came into.

I hope this makes sense. I am awful at describing- better at showing in person lol!

25. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 23, 2006

If a student is messing with the tape or name tag. Quickly give the other class members a couple M&Ms you get their attention. "I didn't get any" "You weren't following directions and explain" Give the student tape to repair the name tag.

We use the long triangle name tags and also use them for pencil holders. Keeps students from digging in their desk hunting a pencil.

26. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

abcteach.com is a site I belong to and pay for, but I have used so much from them, it has been worth the price.

They have several color desk toppers with various information for different grade levels. I printed them out and double laminated them and put them on my student desks. If they ruined them, too bad!

Some of my students felt they were too old for such things, but when they needed a multiplication chart, I reminded them they had been given one on their desk topper -- several students put their topper back onto their desk after that!

27. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 23, 2006

I use a self stick nametag and alphabet from Zaner Bloser. I want the alphabets to stay on the desks all year since they are in cursive and we learn cursive. I used to cover them with contact paper. Last year I used clear package sealing tape. It worked better. I offer a prize to anyone who has almost all of it on their desk on the last day. Most of the class left them all year. We cleaned them off with scrubbers from the dollar store, soapy water, and Goo gone to get rid of the gunk.

We clean our own desks. The custodians sweep and empty the garbage. The floors might get mopped a couple of times a year.

28. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Miss Kirby

I like your idea as using it as part of attendance. I think I might use the magnet idea or velcro and have my students take it to their seat each day. And as they check out for the day put them back. I might just do name tents as well. I taught kindergarten last year and they were pretty good about not messing with them if I had to take it away once.

29. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2006

I have the BEST custodian in the world. He mops my floor every other day!!!!!(This really helps my OCD:D )

30. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 23, 2006

I really wanted to do tented name plates but I already bought two sets of regular name plates.... haha.

31. TeachBD

TeachBD Rookie

Jul 23, 2006

You are SOOOO lucky! Our custodian seems to be more of a maintenance worker than a custodian......she actually removed the large trash cans in our hallway because they were getting too full.....just what am I supposed to do with each days trash??
    :confused:

32. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2006

Yea... I know the feeling about wanting a good custodian. We were actually told to expect to clean our own rooms last year :(

My room was mopped once (because I had black mold growing on the floor).

33. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 23, 2006

Instead of name tags I write directly on the desks in permanent marker. It wipes right off with nail polish remover- the 100% acetone kind. Which by the way is also useful for cleaning stains off your whiteboard that seem impossible to ever come off. A 2nd grade teacher at my school was about to throw out a large melamime board because it was all dirty from years of use. I gave her my polish remover and the board looked brand new in no time. She was so psyched she went out and bought two bottles of her own.

34. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2006

My old district was in the hole a few million dollars. To cut costs, they let go of some of the janitors and only had 1 per school. There was no way one custodian could vaccuum, empty all the trash, wipe the counters, clean the lunch room floors and do all the maintenance work needed in one shift. If we dusted or vaccuumed, the custodians would file greivences. However, they actually encouraged us to clean our own rooms so they could file more greivences against the district. I hate politics.

35. meyerteach

meyerteach Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

Miss Kirby, I have had tables before and will have them again this year. I use velcro and it's easy to move nametags when the students move!