Names to mark the seats on the table.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Katinka, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Katinka

Katinka Rookie

Oct 29, 2008

Hello.

Yesterday ( as soon as I left the class ;), my assistant taped childrens' names on the table.

I do not mind, I consider it is a good idead, but there are some things have doubt.

The names on the table for each child is good: the children learn to recognise their name,they have a place of theirs, they go to their seat without asking or fighting an also as long as my assistant teacher takes initiative, I will support unless it is not very good.

But....we have 2 table and one is smaller. So 6 names are on one table and 2 are at the other. If 8 kids come in one day, they sit on their sits with their names. But what about when only 5 children come, and 4 kids will sit at one table and 1 will sit alone, or 3 at one table and 2 at another. This is a little problem for me because I try to teach children, that while they are each individual, we are one group of children and it is a pleasure to be together not separate.
    And I would not like one childpointing to another: this is not your table / place go sit in your place.

Do I worry in vain? Maybe,if you have time, taking a very busy teachers day, please post your opinion.

Thanks a lot :)

Also thank you so much for yor advice and ideas to my previous posts. I will come home and answer it. I d like to take time to answer with it.

3. PennStateCutie

PennStateCutie Companion

Oct 29, 2008

I don't see anything wrong with that. If the situation arises where one child is sitting alone, then they simply have the pleasure of moving to the other table for a day.

As an aside, I do nametags, as well, but I don't tape mine to the desk for numerous reasons. First of all, it is a shared classroom, so I have 3s on some days, 4s on the others, plus sunday school is in there on the weekend. That would just be too complicated. The other reason is that I actually want kids to be able to RECOGNIZE their names...which I don't think they can do if they simply plop down in the same seat everyday, with the nametag already there...to remedy this, I put the kids' nametags on the floor each morning and they have to go over and find theirs and take it to their seat. This way, they actually have to look at the names and discriminate between them.

Hope that helps! :)

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 29, 2008

Here's what I've done in the past... velcro name tags made out of craft foam. I cut a rectangle about 1 1/2 x 3 inches, write their name on it with a sharpie and put a velcro dot on the back. Then I put the opposite velcro dot on the table. That way you can move kids around if needed. They don't pick at it like they do tape and if it gets a little wet, no biggie.

5. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Oct 29, 2008

I put nametags on the table too! I change them out every couple of months so that they don't get too attached to their seat. I use clear contact paper.

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

I've tried the assigned seat thing and it just didn't feel right to me.
    I don't have assigned seats at meal times or any other time of the day. I want them to have the opportunity to interact and eat with different friends each day.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 29, 2008

I agree with mrgrinch09, assigning names has never felt right to me. I hope the children will be interacting with different people when they wish-as opposed to when I wish. I know some do it-and it must work for them, but I don't choose to do it.

8. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Oct 29, 2008

We do "portable" name tags. The kids names are written on sentence strips and laminated, then put in a basket. When it is work time, they find their name, put it where they want to sit. Ours is a modified Montessori room; our kids are up and down a lot switching materials and so forth (not to mention using the bathroom). This has cut down a lot on the "He took my seat when I put my job back!" And, too, while we don't really assign seats, sometimes there are kids who are not productive when sitting together. If we have to, if it is a really zooey day, we can set out the names ourselves and sort of separate certain pairs if needed.

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 30, 2008

I use laminated sentence strips nd I do move the children around occassionally. I find that it works well to give them a space tht is theirs and it also cuts down on chidren sit next to theri favorite person all the time and the racing to get to seats first etc. It also keeps them form sitting nexxt to someone to pick on them. I don't worry abou them learning to recognize their name because I have their names on so many things that match (all the pencil boxes are labeled with their names but the pencil boxes are all identical is one example), and if I have a day of low numbers I'll jsut tell them-- why don't yousit in ___'s seat today so we can all sit together. They adjsut very eaily to it and consider it a special treat

10. Katinka

Katinka Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

Well, I will just print the names in clear font, becasue before the names were writtent together and hard for children to understand. Otherwise it does seem a good idea for a big classroom. Last year we had 19 children in the room and a lot of drama during lunch time: where and who wants to sit.

In a small classroom it is a good idea also. We will do that.
    Thank you very much! :)

11. sugar001

sugar001 Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

I hate to be so

negative but although your little aide did something this time you happened to agree with- I think she overstepped her boundaries again- she should have asked you first - now let's just say you do the velcro thing- I loved that idea to make them interchangeable- she will see she had a good idea but you are still fixing it, as your own preference is to have interchangeable seating.......

I hate hate hate to say it but I think she is turning this into a war of "CONTROL" and katinka should win- and I say that even as ME being an aide and not the lead teacher for many many years.

...unless of course you gave her free reign at some point to do anything with the room's set-up/

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2008

Why not place the names on the chairs? That way you can move them to any configurationt that's convenient.

Also, in my kids' Nursery school, they taped the names (along with a picture) to the kids' cubbies.

13. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 30, 2008

My classroom (actually our entire center) has the children's names on the tables, the lunchbox shelf, the coat hooks and the cubbies. We also use them on our attendace charts at circle time. I even have name tags that they take with them tot he different centers and place ont he sign for that center. When there are no more spots (I use velcro on the signs and name tags) they know that area is full and they need to make another choice. All the cubby tags are the same , all the luch box shel tags are the same, all the attendance tags are the same, all the coat hook tags are the same --granted they can memorize the location of their spaces, but not only do I turn the tables occassionaly so they do learn to actually recognize it. And they have begun telling me letters in their name and associating the letters with their name so I think it's a win win situation.

14. Katinka

Katinka Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

No way :), I didn't give her to reign! All I did was to ask everytime I introduced the change is what she thinks of it, and say to her that if she wants to do activity in the class tell me and go ahead.

She did overstep a little bit, but...today the director supported me so much, that everything she said was not very right.

We do have the names on the children's cubbies and food baskets, but because of old building all of them are not in the children's view.

We made one small idea as a transition from home to school:
    A little "Look who's in today" board with velcro by the door and in a basket with a house picture there are cards with a child photo and a name below. When children come they usually take their picture from the basket and put it on board.
    I was going to replace the pictures with just names after the New Year.

15. Katinka

Katinka Rookie

Oct 30, 2008

Dear Sugar001, it was the control war, you are absolutely right. Hopefully it finished today. We tried to agree that if some change is going to be done in the class and it affects all teachers all teachers should at least know about it.

16. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 30, 2008

I'm ST right now and my CT and I just decided recently to assign the students a number. We placed numbers on the carpet for movement activities and other activities and it works so well to have the kids sit on their number. This way, there is no name attached and you can easily reassign a new number however often you wish to mix it up. This can easily be used on the desks as well. :D

17. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Nov 1, 2008

We do assigned seats, but they choose each day. I have for each child a nametag with velcro on the back and velcro on the back of each chair. I put out the nametags on the table each afternoon before I leave--my late children like to help me take them off the chairs. In the morning, kids know to find their name tag and put it on the chair of their choice. That is their seat for the day. They will sit by different children, they are learning their names (all but 3 out of 18 can recognize their names now), and they get to make the choice.