Names on the desks--How?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by kteachone, Nov 11, 2010.

1. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Nov 11, 2010

My para wants to use permanent marker on brand new tables to write the kids names. I said no way. What do you use to put the names on the table? It needs to be durable.

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2010

I use name tags, but I've also used white board marker on the desk, but I made sure that it erased with the spray cleaner before I wrote all the names....

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2010

I guess my first question is, why do you want to assign preschoolers a desk or place at the table? Doesn't feel DAP to me.

If you have to laminate name plates or sentence strips and attach them with clear packing tape.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 11, 2010

When do the PS sit at the tables that they need to sit in assigned seats?

6. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Nov 11, 2010

You know, I didn't ask for judgement. All I need to know is how to get the darn names to stick to the table.

7. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Nov 11, 2010

How long does the white board marker last?

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2010

Not judging - just asking what you would need it for. Never mind.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2010

eh, not long acutally...

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 12, 2010

kteach, you are right, I am judging. But, I am open minded and wanted to know why you would need to do so. I can always learn something.

Have you tried the clear tape used for mailing packages?

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 12, 2010

I used nametags and clear contact paper. Except for one or two kids that pick, they have lasted well.

12. gigi

gigi Groupie

Nov 12, 2010

I do what Pisces Fish suggested.

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2010

A teacher friend of mine uses permanent marker. It is easy to get off.

14. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Nov 13, 2010

I have been in preschools where certain children needed to be seperated and that is why they assigned seats. If this needs to happen then I would use laminated signs with their names on it and stick them on the back of the chair with velcro.

15. skerns

skerns Companion

Nov 14, 2010

Assigned seats

We have assigned seats for activities that require paper and for handwriting. Our kiddos have their own pencil caddies with labeled crayons, pencils and glue stick, too. (Keeps germs more personal :))

Anyway, for the last 8 years, I have laminated the name plates and attached to the top of their desks with Velcro dots. The one half stays attached to the desk from year to year. I just measure the placement on each tag to be the same so that if a student needs moved the nameplate is easy to transfer. I also have their mini incentive charts attached with Velcro beside their nameplate. These are easy to change when they fill up with stickers and get a new one.

PS, I switched to Velco because the packing tape gets dirty looking as it peels up. I have a touch of OCD, lol

16. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Nov 27, 2010

I do the velcro idea too and I do names at my tables and change them every week. Before I leave on Fridays I move the name tags to new seats (keeping in mind who can't be by who). Then when we are done with Circle Time on Monday I excuse one by one to find their name and that's their seat for the week. The kids always get really excited when they get a new seat :)

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 28, 2010

My class has assigned seating. I do the laminated name plates and clear packing tape. I have 12 children and if I let them sit wherever they want to it is pure chaos! They sit at the table snack, lunch, project time and writing practice. They have a very difficult time with the issue of personal space and I have used masking tape to divide the tables into equal sections, one for each child. Many of my children need that security of having their own designated space. During playtime they can play with whomever they wish unless it's a problem, and do table choices at whatever seat they want. DAP or not, it is something they will be required to do in public school so it's a skill I feel they need to learn

18. patch

patch New Member

Nov 28, 2010

I don't usually have assigned seats, but when my class gets higher in numbers I do sometimes have to resort to it. I currently have 21 students, but my room can hold up to about 30. When I do I use name cards and use clear contact paper to stick them to the table. But I do like the idea of using velcro. :) I have never heard of doing that before. Our director will not allow us to use packing tape because it is hard to get off the tables. I would also check with your director to make sure what you do is okay.

19. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 28, 2010

I guess I am lucky-- my director pretty much lets me do what I want as long as it is beneficial to the children :)

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 29, 2010

When I've needed to assign seats, I've done them on the chairs... attach a name card to the back of the chair. The kids still have to look for their name, because it isn't always in the same spot... and it's super easy to seperate kiddos that need to be sitting in different spots... as well as give the appropriate food based on allergies and restrictions, etc (it got complicated). When I was at the daycare, we had 27 kids on the roster, but only 20 at a time... meant we could reduce to 3 tables or 4 tables if we wanted to, or spread them out over all 5, depending.

I've done the same thing with just laminated sentence strips... we didn't even velcro them, just laid them on the tables for snack, lunch, or if we were doing something all together at the tables (didn't happen often). We taught the kids to put their name card back in the stack when they were done eating. Again, it made it easy to just put out the kids who were in attendance :)

When I've done them permanently on the tables, clear contact paper. Doesn't last super long, but about a month or so before more than 1-2 of them weren't looking good (the pickers...)

21. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Dec 2, 2010

We laminate the name tags and then use velcro to attach them to the table. We write in permanent marker on the name tags and you can use finger nail polish to remove the permanent marker.

We have assigned spots for when the students write their names, do table activities or need to take a break.

22. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 2, 2010

??? Preschool has desks and assigned seats??? Not DAP. Preschool is all about centers.

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 3, 2010

I don't think anyone's asking about having them sit and do table/desk work in lieu of centers... it's more for snack/meal times, or group work like journaling. Depending on the group of kids, some groups seem to be just fine picking their own spots to sit in... and others need more help to make those good choices. A little like assigned seats or chairs at circle time... sometimes you need them (or sometimes certain kids need it) and sometimes you don't :)

24. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Dec 3, 2010

My kids' daycare using name cards and contact paper. It works well and they are able to switch to a new "theme" every month or so. As a parent, I have no problem with my preschooler having an assigned seat for work time. He gets plenty of free choice time to play with his friends.

25. txteach26

txteach26 Rookie

Dec 5, 2010

:lol: You go, girl!

I've always had luck with the adhesive name tag strips from Really Good Stuff. They stick well and come off cleanly. However, do not get the adhesive pockets as they leave lots of residue.

26. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

When I assigned seats at circle, I would just put masking tape with their name on it on the rug. It was the easiest because I had to vaccum every day. I knew some teachers did the themed cutouts about every two weeks, but it seemed like a big waste of time when there are always kids that are going to pick and destroy them.

I had a class two years ago that needed guidance for sitting at meals. They would race each other when I dismissed groups of 3-4 to wash to get to certain seats, beside their friends, etc. I ended up laminating their names on sentence strips and laying them out in the morning. They had velcro on the back of the strips and on the back of each chair. They would come in and find their name on a table and take it to were they wanted to sit at meals. It was their seat for the whole day, no switches. It also taught name recognition.