Names on desks?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Zanity, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I will be teaching LA/Math to my homeroom, then Math to all of the 4th grade. Would you put names on desks or how would you handle that?

3. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

Good Question!

Hmm...good question! I think if it were me, I'd just assign a desk for each kiddo, but not bother with the names since kids will constantly be in and out. Anyone else have a suggestion?

4. NJTeacher82

NJTeacher82 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

When my school was departmentalized and I taught Math to two seperate classes, I had one class on the right hand side and one on the left.

5. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

There are 3 clases all together and some of them have extremely long names. I think I am just going to make a seating chart maybe go alphabetical to begin ( I know lame lol) and go from there.

6. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 6, 2009

One of my colleagues (we're departmentalized with 5 classes) uses her theme to write the names of her HR kids on the desks. She uses her seating chart to assign the seats. Then she has each class make a name tent out of plain paper that they place on the desk for a few days so she can learn names/faces, the kids keep the tent in their folder & bring it each day.

7. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Aug 6, 2009

You could also have a trifiold piece of paper and they write their name on it. Then they either keep it or turn it in before they switch. That way at least they have their name on their desk and it isn't crowded.

8. MrsCSoup

MrsCSoup Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I had taught math and science to 2 different groups. I assigned each student a number (1-25). My homeroom group had their number on the desktop and my second block group had their number on the chair.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 7, 2009

I'd number all the desks- and then make huge seating charts on poster board that I'd put at the front of the classroom for the first day. Maybe put it on chart paper and just flip it between the periods. You could also put a list of students on the board with their numbered seat next to their names.

10. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

Thank you I really like the trifold tent ideas. My room is slowly coming together.

11. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

My colleague and I use nametags on the kids the first few days to get to know names/faces.

I don't put names because it becomes complicated when you teach more than one set of kids.

12. david37

david37 New Member

Aug 9, 2009

Your biggest downfall in departmentalized teaching would be the children thinking the rules are more lax in your room, or that your not their 'real' teacher. Keeping up with things like name tags and assigned seating will go a long way with keeping order. For the record -- I think departmentalizing in 4th grade doesn't work well - they're too young. Or maybe I just think that because I hate it!

13. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

I agree in my school and in most of Ohio they do it down to 3rd grade. I think it needs to be self-contained at that age.

For the names...in general ed folder someone showed a picture with the names on the chairs I am going to look into that. As of right now I am sitting on the name tents. I think it will be my first choice I do not want stuff taped to the desks it gives them too much of a reason to pick at their desks.

14. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Sep 11, 2009

If velcro and laminating supplies are on-hand, you can have the kids’ names on laminated cards or thin, wide pieces of paper, and use velcro to adhere it to the desk; if seats change, they can take their name tags with them and place them on their new desks. It might be safer adhered to the desk, rather than use name tags for them to wear, which may get lost.

Hope that helps. :)