Name writing ?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by AMK, Aug 12, 2010.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

So I usually have the kids learn to write their name - not their nickname Like Sam learns to write Samuel. This year I will have a little boy with a really long first name. Do I have him write his nickname or start right off with his real name? Do you label things with their nickname or full name? I hope this makes sense!

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 12, 2010

I usually ask the parents. One year I had a Jesus and when I called him that he had no idea who I was talking to. He was Omar. Also, some parents have no intention of wanting their children to go by anything other than their nick name.

My daughter is Margaret... but she is Maggie. Of course she knows her real name and how to spell it and read it but she is Maggie.

4. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

If it is a really long name and they go by a nickname, I usually let them use the nickname. I had a Christopher, and he went by Chris as that was what his family called him...

5. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

Also, I had a Youssef, and whenever I called his name during our intake meeting day he didn't respond at all. I was thinking that there must be something seriously wrong, but then his parents let me know he went by Joey! He had no idea his name was Youssef!

6. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 12, 2010

At orientation we had this little boys name written out, he had no idea that was his name!

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 12, 2010

Just my opinion, but I think that the children should be learning how to write their full name. Once they know how to recognize and write their full name, then they can write their nicknames on their papers.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

I also believe in using given names and not only make them write the names that way, but I refer to them with the full name as well.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2010

I always have the kids write their full name unless the parents specify otherwise- I let them use their nickname after they can write their whole name.

10. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

I ask the parents what they want their child to print and be called. Last year I had a child named Steven, but he went by his middle name which was Anthony. I certainly was not going to make him print Steven on his papers if his entire family called him Anthony.

If a parent says that they call their child by both their given name and nickname then I usually have them print thier given name (at least at the beginning of the year). For example, last year I had an Abigail. Her family called her both Abigail and Abby. She started off the year printing Abigail, but by the end of the year she seemed to print Abby on her papers which was fine with me.

The only time I won't allow Nicknames at all is when parents call their kids by "cute" nicknames. I had a Katelyn a few years ago, but her family called her "peanut." She came to K on the first day and wrote "peanut" on her paper. I told her mom that I wanted her to print Katelyn.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

When, then, are children expected to learn to write their real name? I think it is one thing to call the child by their nickname but they need to learn to recognize and print their real name.

12. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

I understand what you are saying, but this child has never been called Steven in his life. He doesn't even turn his head when you call him Steven. I just look at it as Anthony being his first name and Steven being his middle. My middle name is "Kathryn." I can't remember any teacher ever teaching me how to write my middle name, yet I know how to write it. Somewhere along my childhood I must have figured it out and I am sure Anthony (Steven) will too.

My bigger problem lately, however, is children with hyphenated last names. Some of the hyphenated names are so long the child can't even fit them on a paper. I once again will ask the parent what they want. They usually want the whole hyphenated name, but when they see what a struggle it is for their child to print I will get a call and will be told that it is fine for them to go with just one last name.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 13, 2010

When I set up the room (before meeting the kids or parents) I always use their full names. Once I meet them and they TELL me otherwise, I'll use their nicknames, but I still leave up their full names on things I've made - I don't go back and change them... I mean, if you really didn't want your child EVER hearing/seeing/spelling their real full name, WHY did you name them that? :)

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 13, 2010

i do the same thing hapley, I write their names, their regular old whole names over the summer, then see how it goes in school. I do like them to try and write out their whole name, but then if they have a nickname that they use - then I let them write that. Later on in the year if I have to label something - i will use their nickname if they prefer.

15. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 13, 2010

Well, I have always asked the child what name he/she goes by and within reason we use this name. I did have a student who didn't know his name and had always been called Little Man. Now, he learned how to write his regular name. I think that it is okay for children to use and learn how to write what they are called and later in the year learn how to write their whole name.

16. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2010

I specifically ask parents what name to call them and what name they want them to write. I feel its the parent's choice as to what the child goes by - not for me to decide. I had a child who went by Junior and parent wanted him to read and write Junior. After working on Junior I did help him with his real first name.

17. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

About 2/3 of my kids could write their first names last year, most in all caps. I concentrate on first name accuracy before attempting the last names unless, of course a child already has mastery. A few knew first and last names. For Hispanic students with hyphenated last names, I only required the name before the hyphen.

18. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 14, 2010

I have a line on my orientation folders that asks parents what name they want their child to "go by" during the school year. I review these so I know how to spell the names myself, and unless there is an issue (like "I want you to call her peanut:D) I allow the children to go by the names they know.

19. UNCKinder

UNCKinder Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I believe there is a big difference in a child going by their middle name and a "cutesy" nickname. Both my brother and my husband are named for their father ( a jr. and a III) and both have gone by there middle name since birth. If either one where "made" by there teacher to write "Beale" or "Fredric" at school I think both mom's would have flipped. They are Mckenzie and Clayton and have always been. They both know their first names and can write them just fine. They, however, have never gone by that name. My 2nd year teaching I had a child who was named "Dawn" but was sometimes called "Punkin'" at home... and in that case I of course would have the child write "Dawn" There is an obvious difference in being called by a middle name and a cutesy nickname. As a teacher you should respect the parents right for their child to go by either a first or middle name(or shortend name aka Chris). If "Dawn's" true middle name was Punkin' and thats what she was always called then I would suck it up and call her that! I don't believe it is my job to determine a child's name.

(BTW, This is my first post! I have been following/reading ABC for a few weeks! I really have enjoyed reading everyone's ideas!)