Name Writing

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maebowler, Jul 15, 2010.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I am a Minnesota Reading Corps volunteer. This will be my second year in the same classroom with the same teacher! Last year, we were told we needed to do name writing everyday, which was new for her. I created and did the name writing with the kids. I rotated through, so basically they wrote their name once a week. This year I, and the teacher, would like to do more. I am looking for ideas, so...

How do you do name writing? How do you introduce it? Who monitors it?

Thanks!

3. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I have seen where everyday the kids "sign in". We wrote all of the kids first names out on name cards and had laminated them and gave them dry erase markers to practice. Once the kids got a hand of it we changed it to dotting out their names and using directional cues. Once the first name was learned, we would leave it blank and write their name small on the top of the strip and had them write it themselves. Once the kids started to get used to writing their first names we practiced last names. I had a few kids learn how to write their first names by the time school was over. It gets them ready for kindergarten and the teachers seem to like it. If anyone else has any suggestions I would like to hear them too :) thanks

4. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Jul 15, 2010

I also do sign-in, but I have papers in binders so that I have a record of their progress.

The paper adds up, but it's great when you see them make a big breakthrough and you can take that paper and put it in their portfolio!

I do a sheet of paper with their name at the top and 5 blank spaces (one for each day of the week) and I put their name at the top. Each child (5 to a binder) has a tab that they open to, to find their form.

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010

I do daily sign-in as well. I have a piece of paper divided into 6 lines (because I use the paper the 11-inch way, each line is just shy of 2 inches). On the top row, I model the writing. Then, down the left side of the paper are the icons that our math curriculum uses for the days of the week (Monday is a monkey, Tuesday a turtle, etc). There is no icon next to the model. I copy these and put out new ones each week. I save the first sheet from every month in a binder.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2010

I found using a highlighter with this age group works well. You write their name in a highlighter & they go over it.

7. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2010

I cut up the recycled paper that were the mistakes from the copier and have them in a basket. They are to practice writing their name when they arrive. I have a chart with their names on strips which are laminated. They put a clip on their name for name recognition and can also use it to help write their name. I have highlighters that the parent or I can use to highlight names if needed for them to trace and pencils, markers, colored pencils etc. I collect them every now and then and date them for their portfolios. I also encourage them to try to write their names on their artwork, etc.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

We have at least 4 opportunities per day for each child to write his or her name in our public pre-k program. They write their name at least once during writing workshop, literacy centers, and math workshop. The writing center is also open daily and they love to write their names there as well as the names of their friends.
    We have a name chart that the students can use for learning to both write and identify their names.
    Young children also need to see the teacher write daily and interact with that writing so having a daily morning message is very important, they learn a lot about the letters and how writing works from this best practice.
    Here is some information about handwriting with young children you might also find useful.