name tags

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by jennyd, Aug 9, 2009.

1. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 9, 2009

It seems like a silly worry but, name tags on desks. Do you use them in 5th? Do you have the kids make those paper tents or give them official ones? I've looked around at some other threads and I can't quite seem to get a general consensus. We've only got one class per grade level so I don't have any team member's example to follow, and I don't want to do anything too juvenile for my new class of kids.

3. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 9, 2009

Our school has a tendency to have kiddos moved around the first few weeks (because of enrollment) so I don't begin the year with the nameplates I purchased. Instead, I have the students create their own folded "tent" name plate following a glyph.

4. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

I use nametags but not the ones you buy in the store. Last year I created License plate name tags. I simply use them so I know whose desk is whose especially if I'm moving desks around when the kids aren't there. http://msjensenclass.com/pictures/P1010060.JPG

5. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 9, 2009

Hrmm...I do love a good glyph, but the license plate name tags look cool. A little googling will probably find me the answer, but is there a website you printed them from, katenar?

6. katenar

katenar Cohort

7. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I LOVE those license plates, but $9 a student X 34 is too much for me right now! :( I wish they were cheaper!

8. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

I didn't buy them. I would create the license plate with the kids name. Right click the image and copy it. I then inserted it into a word document, cropped them a bit, printed and laminated them.

Trust me - I wouldn't pay $9 for a name tag! :D

9. nsenyo

nsenyo New Member

Aug 10, 2009

I don't use them in 5th grade (though most of my kids still can't even write their names in cursive, so maybe I should use them). I just find they don't need them anymore. Also, when they start getting all written on and sticker covered, it aggrevates me. I know my limits lol

10. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I used them in 5th grade. I didn't put them on the tops of desks like in lower grades, but on the front of the desk. Like others said, it was more for me to know who's desk is who's when I moved them around. That, and the subs ALWAYS thanked me because they knew the kids names without having to find them on a seating chart.

11. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I use them. I get irritated when they get screwed up by the constant picking, and I swear I won't use them again, but it's easier to learn the kids names quickly that way. There does come a time that I get fed up and take them off, but I like how it gives the students a place that's theirs at the beginning
    of the year.

(I hope this isn't rambling: watching Oprah...:eek:)

12. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

OMG, I didn't think that would work! This is an excellent idea that I wish I had a couple of years ago when my theme was "We have a License to Learn." I think I may have to reuse it. Thanks for this so much!

13. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I hate all of the picking too. I've found that instead of using tape on the back to tack them down, use 2 or 3 long strips of packing tape right over the top and onto the desk. I wrap the tape right from the top onto the inside of the lid. They stay nicer much longer and most students are less apt to pick at them.

14. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I use them. I like the name tags that have the mult. chart and parts of speech and other info on them.

This year I bought the plastic sleves to put the name tag in. I give rewards for neat name tags like clean desks. It has worked pretty well.

15. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I tried this. But when I right click the image, a pop up comes up saying it's copyrighted and won't allow it.

16. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

Would you be willing to share the glyph you use? I would like to try it this fall.:)

17. 2Beagles

2Beagles Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I teach 5th grade, and I create a cursive name tags for every student. I have them decorate and them laminate. When kids move seats, the name tag goes with them.

18. june27

june27 New Member

Aug 11, 2009

Thanks so much katenar! This is exactly what I've been looking for.
    I do use name tags on the desks. Our kids love them and almost expect them.

19. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

I actually have the glyph handy on my computer but don't know how to attach the file here. Can somebody help or I can email it to you?!

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I have created them for my room this year! I searched and found this post because I LOVE Katie's nametags from last year. They go PERFECTLY with my theme! :)

21. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Aug 12, 2009

I do NOT use name plates on the desks, because I have two classes and thought it would just be too much. The kids knew where they sat after day one. I had them wear name tags the first day, and had everyone's names down pat by the end of day 2!

22. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 12, 2009

Weird. Well you can either do a screen shot and crop it down or if you hit next and approve the plate it will bring you to the check out screen and show a sample. Click the sample to enlarge and then you can right click without the pop up box.

Hope that helps. :)

23. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

Maybe you could PM it to me, and I can open the attachment through my email! I really appreciate it!:D