Name tags

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MsSwmbear, Jul 9, 2008.

1. MsSwmbear

MsSwmbear Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Hi all,

I am beginning to think about this coming fall and as a teacher that is new to 4th grade, do they use name tags? When I taught first I had name tags on all the desks, you know the name plates from really good stuff... Would that be ok in 4th or is it too little kid-ish?

Thanks!
    :2up:

3. LinzerCastle

LinzerCastle Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I always have nametags on my fourth graders desks. I use the ones from really good stuff that have a times table, a map of the United States, and the cursive alphabet (some of them still need it).

Having the nametags ready on the first day of school also makes the finding of seats run more smoothly!

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2008

I also use name tags. I used to tape them down, but that was always a mess. A few years ago I started just laying them on the desks, and it has worked out great!

Have fun in fourth grade!

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I use nametags with 5th. I'm going to tape them down with contact paper this year though.

6. thomps6

thomps6 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I use name tags in 5th grade also. I use magnetic tape to put them on the front of the desk so that subs can also learn their names.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 10, 2008

I would like to use magnetic tape, but my desks are in quads.

8. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I use name tags in Year 3 and 4. I use blu-tac to stick them down as I like my students to move desks every 2 to 3 weeks (to get to know EVERYONE in the room). The name tags help ME to know where the children are. Many of them use the tags to stick any stickers they earn.

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

I use name tags on the desks, but I have the students make their own. On the first day, they spend time making a name tag, with their name and decorating it in a way that tells us something about them. Then, we take some time to have them show their name tag to the class, introducing themselves, and saying why they drew what they did on it. Then, after school that day, I laminate them and tape them to the desks, where they stay until the last day of school.

10. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 10, 2008

I use name tags and tape them to the front of the desk. If they are in quads I have them move the tages to the side facing out.

11. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I had two classes so I got the little white stickers and put them on the desk - 1st class on the left 2nd class on the right- it helped me when I moved desk after school and so that they kids couldn't fool the sub because they knew if it was not on their desk when I got back they were in for it. It worked well for me:)

12. kkuchtah

kkuchtah Rookie

Jul 10, 2008

I also have plenty white stickers for this year and it is easy to replace - I replaced them every 2 months

13. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jul 10, 2008

I have deskstrips that function as name tags on the tops of all my desks. They are printed on legal size paper and laminated, then stuck to the desks with double-sided tape. My husband designed and prints these for me every year.

[​IMG]

14. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I always use nametags on the desks. I give a treat at the end of the year to the students who still had theirs on.

15. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I use nametags. I could retire from my school though and never have to buy any new nametags. The teachers before me must have spent hundreds of dollars on nametags. We have a huge map drawer full of different style nametags.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 11, 2008

I used the little white stickers this past year, and it worked fine.

I may go back to nametags, but do not want to use the ones with the multiplication tables because my very first class was way too dependent on them.

17. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 11, 2008

Ooooohhhhh aaaaaahhhhhh Those are sooo cool!

18. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 11, 2008

I wanted to use desk nametags, but my team is departmentalized, so it wouldn't make sense. I made a set of foldable ones in Word for just my homeroom. After you fold the paper into fourths (so it stands up as a triangle), it shows their name and student number on the front (so I can see them), and on the back (where the student can see), it says, "Welcome to Ms. X's 5th Grade! We're Going to Have a Great Year!"

I plan to leave them up for the first week or so. I might make them for my other classes, too.

19. 100%Canadian

100%Canadian Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I used name tags for the first time this year - ordered from Scholastic and then laminated. I used permanent marker on top of the laminate. I used velcro strips so the tags could move with the students (I have double desks so moving the students with the same seat gets tricky). However, I didn't put them out until February and by June, I'd say about five were in decent shape; others were torn, separated or curled to the point of being a nuisance. Not so sure I'm going to do that again.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jul 12, 2008

I have seen them used, but by the middle of the year they have rubbed off to where you can not read the name. The few other things that happened to them were:
    Teachers did not tape them or not good enough so students lost them or put books on top of them.
    They dropped on the floor.
    Students tore them or broke them
    I think for the use of helping out sub its great I know I would rather call a student by there name rather you in the pink or you with the glasses. Also, Its to be in the front of the desk and students need to leave that space free. Example: no books or papers on it leave where we can see and do not mess with it.