Name tags

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by brandigilliard, Jul 7, 2006.

1. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I bought a bumblebee notepad and was thinking of making nametags out of them since I am going with a bumblebee theme. I was going to write on them and then put them through the laminator. Does anybody know if this will work? Will it hold up good?

3. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

Laminate them and use good packing tape and they'll last you a while. I have to bribe my kids at first to keep them from picking at the tape -- kids who do not pick at their name tags get 5 minutes extra centers, treasure chest visit, etc. Eventually they don't bother them.

One suggestion -- laminate first and then write the names with a sharpie. If some students do not come or go by another name you can remove the sharpie with finger nail polish remover instead of making new tags.

4. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks! Good idea about the finger nail polish.

I was planning on using them for name tags to wear around their necks not to put on their desk or cubby. Do you think it will still hold up?

5. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

OOHHH....okay, well I wouldn't expect to be able to use them again next year but if you just want them for the first few days while the students are learning their way around and you are learning names it should be okay.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 7, 2006

I would write the names then laminate but have a few extra blank ones. This is one of those things my mom saved from when I was in Kindergarten :rolleyes: Just a month ago or so I was just going through this box of stuff she saved:love:

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

I do what ABall suggested. I always laminate a few extra b/c there will be kids who just show up and kids whose name is spelled wrong. I have children who show up in the middle of the year as well. I keep the nametags all year so when there is a sub they can wear them.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

Maybe you could glue them on a thicker piece of paper before you laminate them.

I made name tags for my students using just construction paper (laminated) and they lasted all year. My students wore them about 6 times a month. I pinned them on their shirt (I had a parapro. there to help me). I find that they play (and put their name tags in their mouth) with necklaces and they tend to get wrecked a lot sooner, but if your students are not wearing them often, they should be okay.

I worked with a teacher who changed her name tags to go with the monthly them. The students loved getting new name tags and taking home their old ones.

At the beginning of the year, I laminate a bunch of different color construction paper, so when I need to die-cut something that needs to be laminated, my paper is already laminated :) . Our turn-over for getting things laminated could take up to a week and sometimes I forget I put something in to be laminated :rolleyes: .

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

That is a good idea to laminate construction paper. I know my laminator is not great and it peels unless we leave a border around it.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2006

I've laminated themed notepad paper like you are talking about and it has held up just fine.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I got this idea from a parapro.. I thought she was wasting paper at first, but boy does it come in handy. I also use it if I decide to pass out plastercine to my class before a big writing assignment or when we have a long transition break -- this way we do not have to clean their desks.

12. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

I was planning on putting in on posterboard before I laminated it. Then cutting it out and punching a hole in the top to make a neclace out of it. Making a new one a couple times a year sounds like a good idea. I was planning on using them for field trips as well. Do the necklaces usually not work well? I remember that is what I always had as a child.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2006

From my experience, and depending on how much you use them, adhering them to poster board and cutting out isn't necessary. I hot glue a clothespin or safety pin on the back to avoid the string around the neck.

14. ElemStudentTeac

ElemStudentTeac Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

i used necklaces the first time i was stuck inside a classroom and i had students twirling them around in the air, i had students throwing them up and catching, i had some that were biting on them all day (boy was that nasty after all day slobber). the middle of my first bock and all of my second block (and will continue in my student teaching) i hot glue a saftey pin after i have it laminated and cut out. i find that the students tend to forget their name tag is there. I also learned to avoid large name tags. I found that it gave the students more urge to play with their tags. Good Luck.

15. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Thanks! I think I have decided to go with the saftey pins instead of necklaces. The only thing is I was going to put their name, my name, and their bus#. Will that be too big to wear as a pin instead of a necklace?

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I think if you are using it for their bus numbers, the most important thing is the number. I will write that large and the students name smaller. Your name does not have to be big at all -- just large enough for an adult to read it. You only need something the same size or a little larger than a regular sticker name tag.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 7, 2006

I never thought of hot gluing the pin behind the name tag! I will be doing that this year. Last year I hole punched a hole and top and stuck the pin through that and a couple students ripped the hole trying to "help me" by taking off their own name tag and I ended up having to make a new hole.

18. ElemStudentTeac

ElemStudentTeac Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

haha. children are so funny sometimes. i also learned from some of the teachers that were in the school where i was doing block work taught me a hot glue gun will become your best friend with cement walls. it doesnt pull the paint off.

19. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jul 8, 2006

I love the safety pin idea, I used the necklaces last year but gave up in less than a week when they destroyed them :D

:thanks:

20. Bobbe

Bobbe Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

I used the Ellison machine to cut out fish (my class theme) from vinyl, which I purchased from a local fabric store. I cut a small hole in them and place a name tag clip on each of them. These can be removed at the end of the year and reused, and the name tags last all year. Parents like the clips, because they don't tear small holes in there shirts. Make sure to by the stiffer vinyl, the light weight stuff will curl on you. You can use a sharpie to write on them.
    The name tag clips can be purchased at Office Max or Staples.

21. Julie

Julie Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

I laminated nametags for kindergarten about 4 years ago and still have them. they were frogs from a notepad. they lasted so long because I took them to Kinko's and had them laminated with the HARD laminate. I was of course more expensive but I have had them for 4 years! Between years I use fingernail polish to erase the names and use clorox wipes to get rid of the germs! I punched a hole and put in a safety pin.

22. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 12, 2006

Great idea!!! Thanks

23. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2006

Okay, I can be really slow with "crafty" things, especially where hot glue is concerned....so humor me!

Just how do you hot glue a safety pin on the back? Or if you punch a hole (brandigilliard)? Sorry!! :confused:

24. brandigilliard

brandigilliard Rookie

Jul 13, 2006

Actually, I haven't done either things yet. But, I am assuming with the punch a hole idea that you would just punch a hole in the name tag and slip the safety pin through the hole and pin it to their shirt.

25. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2006

:-D That was my first thought too, but then, being me, I overthought it and decided maybe not, since a hole punch hole would be too big!! But duh, I guess you could just poke a hole with anything--not necessarily a hole punch.

I really should stop and read my stuff again before I write!! HAHA! (I'd still like to know about the hot glue--it must be MAGIC!!)

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2006

srh..........I actually buy those special pins that are used on the back of nametags (not a safety pin......but not sure what it is called) It is easy to glue on.......just run a line of glue and stick the pin onto it. Sorry I can't remember what kind of pin that is.........I will have to check.

27. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 13, 2006

Well now, THAT makes sense!! Thanks for responding. I can be a little ditzy sometimes--especially in the "doing" stuff for crafts! I think I've seen those at Office Depot. I also think the whole idea of making reusable name tags is a great one...I'm thinking of a million times they would have been handy last year! THANKS again.

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2006

glad you asked srh because I think I did say safety pin and that wasn't what I meant! I'm glad you know what I'm talking about! You are right, they can be bought at any office supply store! They work really well! :)