Name Tags

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SoReady2Teach, Sep 11, 2010.

1. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

What is the best way to make sure student names don't come off easily on their desk name tags? I just bought some new ones to put on desks and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for this. We just finished the theird week of school and half of the class already has their names coming off.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 11, 2010

4. Ladybug Teacher

Ladybug Teacher Companion

Sep 11, 2010

I usually laminate them and use packing tape around the edges. This has kept them pretty clean and secure.

5. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

I used to reward those who kept theirs to the end of the semester. pizza or extra recess or whatever. Works wonders!!!! Even 1st graders can do this. I tell them at the beginning if you can keep it on this is what you get and leave it at that. No reminders or warnings. Come December I buy a couple of pizzas and they get a slice or 2 IF you have your nametags - otherwise you watch the others enjoy.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2010

Clear contact paper over the entire name tag works pretty well.

7. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Sep 11, 2010

I bribed my kids with a soda at the end of the year if their's is still in good shape. I also am trying something new this year, and using velcro. I laminated all the name tags, then put them on the desk with velcro. That way, we can clean underneath them too.

8. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 12, 2010

I will have the name tags laminated tomrorow when I return. The previous ones were laminated too, but somehow a few are already coming off. I like the idea of a reward for those who can keep it on their desk.

9. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 12, 2010

I always laminate them. In the past, taping them down with clear packing tape or clear contact paper was my main mode to make sure they stayed on; last year I used velcro strips. This year I took the advice of another teacher on here and just used masking tape on the back to hold them down. It has worked well, and we have only had to re-tape two tags so far, not bad in 3 weeks. The students know where the masking tape is and can use a couple of pieces if needed. So far, so good - but by 3rd grade, they are pretty much done with picking at them. I do wish I had used my corner-rounder to round the corners prior to laminating them.

I do also give a small reward at the end of the semester for students who have neat name tags.