Name skeleton

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs_B, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

I probably got the name skeleton idea from here. I can't find the website for the visual. It was writing your name in cursive on a folded piece of white paper and then cutting around it and turning that into the skeletons torso. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

3. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 22, 2008

I have done it with my students and it was hard! A lot of them had trouble with the cursive name because you kind of have to do it in bubble letters in order to cut it out. I have it at school right now but I didn't get it off the internet. I will look to see if I can find out what book it came out of.

A lot of them did turn out nicely though. I want to do it this year but I don't know if my kids can handle it this year

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

It's a great lesson in symmetry. I used carbon paper in the center of the white paper fold, cut them out, and then glued them down on black construction paper. Someone mentioned using spray glue earlier on the forum, I haven't tried it but I will this year.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 22, 2008

from Garden of Praise...
    [​IMG]

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

SpecialPreskoo, that's what I was talking about! Those are too cute!

7. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

That's the site!!!! THANKS!!! I made them last year and it was kind of hard but we managed. I had to help some of them draw the skull, legs and arms so I thought this year I would provide a copy of mine that they could use if they got frustrated. Some of my artistic kids even made their dancing, etc. They were cute!

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 22, 2008

I love this! I saw it before I left for school, so we did it today. Wonderful idea! Bravo!

9. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Oct 22, 2008

Oh! Those are wonderful! I wish I could use this activity to enhance my symmetry lesson, but it's a bit beyond my kids' capabilities. I did forward it to my friend who teaches 5th grade at my school. She'll love it.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2008

Adorable!!!!! Wish I could make it first grade friendly! So CUTE!!!

11. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Oct 24, 2008

Where can I get the pattern for this?

12. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 26, 2008

Each child does the body with their own cursive name. Most of my students this year wanted to make their own skull, legs, etc, but I had drawn and copied my own just in case someone struggled. Sorry, I don't have it digital to share but it wasn't that hard to sketch off the garden of praise pics.

13. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Oct 26, 2008

I LOVE that!!! I will be taking that to art! Thank you!

14. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Oct 27, 2008

I would really like to do this with my class tomorrow, but I'm really stuck. I may be a bit of a doofus, but I can't figure out how their names create the skeleton. I've been staring at the picture for about 30 minutes, and even tried drawing it on paper to see if that would make it "click," but I'm still lost. :help:

If anyone could explain to me how to do this I'd love you forever! :hugs:

P.S. - I'm really bad at "spatial" images, I always hate teaching that part of math, so that may be why I can't "see" it.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 27, 2008

Fold a piece of white paper in half length-wise (hamburger). Unfold and write your name on the outside in loopy cursive with big spaces right against the line (the fold -line that sticks out, not in). Refold the paper and cut around your name including inside the letters. Unfold the paper to make the torso of the skeleton. The name on the first picture in the top row is Noelle - look at it sideways and you will see it.

16. SportsFanTr

SportsFanTr Companion

Oct 27, 2008

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I see it! We will definitely be doing this in class tomorrow. Thank you!