name plates

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2009

What kind of name plates do you put on student desks? I used to always use name plates that had the alphabet, number line, color words, shape words, left and right, etc. in addition to their name. But with state testing in April, I had to tear off the name tags because of those tools. I am about to buy some for this year, and I'm not sure if I should just get plain name tags, or the same ones I always get. I mean, the kids used the name tags. Especially the number line. So I would have to do something different for that.

I also have these that I've never used. These could work as a plain name tag, and they go with my bee theme!

http://www.fsp3.com/scripts/ProductDetail.asp?Product=FST644

3. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

i just use plain name tags that match the theme of my room...this year i got the purple/pink star ones from target that were $1...but I don't put them on the tops of the desks...I put them on the front of the desks that way you can see them when you look at the class from the board which helps me at the begininning of the year, and it helps the subs...but their name is written on top of the desk also...I write their names on notebook paper so they can see the appropriate size so I can help those who need to scale down that jumbo 1st grade writing where they use the whole space instead of 3/4 for caps and 1/2 for lower case...then when we start cursive I take off and replace them so they have an example of that also

4. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 27, 2009

I don't use nameplates. Why? It makes me learn everyone's name that much faster. The kids already know everyone's name except for perhaps one or two new students. This is the way I've been doing it for the past 23 years and I've never had a problem.

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2009

I don't use nameplates for me learning names, I use them so students can identify their seats, and it helps me when I'm moving desks around through out the year. I put my desks in groups so I put them on the top. They used the nameplates so much last year. :\

6. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I made my own this year. I have a bee theme too, and I really like name 'tents' because they're easy to see, easy to move, AND I can write their name in manuscript on one side and cursive on the other. I use them mainly because subs appreciate it and they use it to help them with handwriting, especially when we get into cursive. If you want me to forward you the one I made, send me a PM with your email address! :)

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Hello!! :)

I use the Desktop Helpers from Really Good Stuff ~ granted they are expensive!! About $1 per nametag... However, they're plastic, laminated and stick to the desks with ease.

On them were left to right directions, a number line to 30, color words, shape words, a hundreds chart, and a Zaner-Bloser alphabet strip (these nametags are also available in D'Nelian). :)

In a class of 30 second graders last year, not ONE of them were able to peel up the nametag or make it look messy/dirty like they have when I used other nametag/clear plastic tape in the past.

I really recommend the nametags/desktop helpers from Really Good Stuff. I was so pleased with them! I did not need to replace them the ENTIRE school year ~ When it came time for cursive I simply bought some inexpensive nametags for $2.00 and placed their cursive names under the desktop helper.

I know these are expensive, but they were WELL worth the purchase.

Hope this helps!!!

Good luck!

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 1, 2009

Thanks, Starista. i have more questions for you. :)

A friend gave me her RGS name plates because they were too large for her students' tables. They have the number line, alphabet, left and right, and color words. The color words take up SO much space, and make it look babyish. So I'm thinking of chopping that part off.

They are the self adhesive kind, so I won't be able to laminate over their names. I've had kids use their erasers to erase and smudge their names, when I use a sharpie to write their name over the laminent (sp?). Also they pick on the edges so they start looking grody. But you say your looked neat all year? Maybe I should just use them.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

I think mine are different from yours, both from RGS however!

Mine are plastic and make it really difficult for their little second grade fingers to peel up and use.

Since they're plastic they donot require lamination at all!!!!

I can send you the link to the exact desktop helper nameplates I use if you like!

Again they were about $30.00 for a set of 30 nametags but they are the SINGLE most valuable classroom item I purchase every year! :)

Hope this helps!!!! :)

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2009

I found those in the catalog. I may order them, also.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 1, 2009

I just use the plain name tags too. Due to the behaviors in my class, I have to move desks around quite a bit and the name tags allow the students to find their desks right away. I just taped them on their desks and told my students that if they messed it up that I will not be re-taping it and I will remove it and throw it out and will not be replacing them. All of my students had theirs at the end of the year.:D

12. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 1, 2009

Even though it is expensive for these nametags, remember that Reallygoodstuff does the thing now where you can split up the cost of your order over 3 months! This has made it so much easier for me to get the things I really wanted.

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

14. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Hey Miss Kirby,

Indeed those are quite "elementary" and by the end of the year our grade 2s might not like them. Please find the link below for my nametags:

http://reallygoodstuff.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=275ad2e0-e355-413f-91bc-4e73e0319fe0

Again, they're about double the price of what you linked but they are WELL worth every penny.

These are self-adhesive as well. You have no idea how much time I saved not having to cut 30 strips of clear Contact paper to cover nametags with! :)

Let me know what you think ~ I seriously love these.

And YES the Really Good Stuff 3 month plan allowed me to buy a few more items!!!! I really love and appreciate the 3 month payment plan!

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2009

Do you think if I chop off the color words and pictures they would work? Your name plates sound so nice but I don't want to spend that much! Either I use the free ones or I purchase the ones I used last year. THanks though. :)

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

Heya! =)

I think they would work even if you decide to keep the pictures/color words. I think I would keep the color words and pictures. They're bright and cheerful and words that the students can learn how to spell and quickly read. :)

I completely not wanting to spend that much!!

Hope this helps!!

:)

17. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2009

I just think most of them will know their color words, and they take up SO much room on their desks.

18. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

Hi!

Hmm... yes!! I think our Kindergarten has color words as "word wall words" so they probably do know them! You should keep them in chop off the color words if you like!

Hope this helps! :)

19. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I use the nameplates with all the information on it at the beginning of the school year. We don't have state testing in second grade, so I don't have to worry about it, but the year that I did do state testing (third grade), I started out with my regular nameplates, then switched to plain sentence strips with their names in cursive around March when we started our cursive lessons.

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 3, 2009

Okay, I chopped the nameplates today. I wrote names on them. I tried to take the backing off to stick them on tables but I couldn't do it. So I just taped them on line usual. They do the job! :)

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2009

I have a fruit theme this year and found watermelon notepads that I plan to write names on. I tape them down with clear box strapping tape. I add first, middle, and last names as I require them to write their full name on all spelling work.

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 7, 2009

I don't even tape the nameplates down at first -- and I make the first ones on my computer rather than store bought. That is because we have a HUGE number of students who will be own our role sheet but will never show up. (Even if they know a student will be transfering, they put them in a class...it is silly.) I also have huge problems with the names either being spelled incorrectly on the role sheet (even though it is computerized) or my biggest pet peeve -- our role sheets and online grade books put the child's name in all capital letters. Any unusual punctuation is also missing. This can be a problem when it comes to name plates.

You don't know if it is Daquan, DaQuan, Da'Quan or Da'quan. And to little Da'Quan, it is very important!! So I computer print them based on my original role sheet and what I can figure out from visiting last year's teachers, and then I have a stack of blank computer printed ones and a sharpie, and make new ones or fix old ones.

We also have a lot of new students during the 1st two weeks, so there is lots of adding.

After the first two weeks, then I pull out my nice nameplates.